Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NY Times Sunday Magazine - The Architecture Issue

Registered
    Jun 2003

NY Times Sunday Magazine - The Architecture Issue

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/magazine/index.html

Always interesting, still reading it.

Beginning with the Enrique Peñalosa (former mayor of Bogotá, Colombia) interview;

I wouldn’t think that sidewalks are a top priority in developing countries. The last priority. Because the priority is to make highways and roads. We are designing cities for cars, cars, cars, cars, cars. Not for people. Cars are a very recent invention. The 20th century was a horrible detour in the evolution of the human habitat. We were building much more for cars’ mobility than children’s happiness.

Isn’t that true here in the United States as well? Not in Manhattan, but there are many suburbs where there are no sidewalks, which is a very bad sign of a lack of respect for human dignity.
    HIGHLIGHTS:
    The Exigent City
    Increasingly, refugee camps have become de facto cities, and cities have become extended refugee camps.
    Several articles have slide shows - most interesting is the Housing - Crowded House.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

I read the issue cover to cover on a train ride yesterday.
    I thought it was pretty weak, very g-whiz kind of thing. Scattered thoughout were insightful gems, but most of it was "the better living through new technology" kind of thing and not a serious discussion of the issues like they the Times magazine does with other issues.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I spent about two hours reading it yesterday afternoon....and while the articles were interesting, I was totally annoyed that ARCHITECTS were getting all the credit for making cities and places. Not one word mentioned about planners or planning processes.

The front page of the magazine was rather misleading -- the articles didn't talk about how to plan cities or landscape them!

I'm quite tired of reading about the Rock Star Architect. The architects that I deal with are more like a really bad White Snake tribute band.

That said, I did enjoy the article about MVRDR and their alternative ways of problem solving and The article about FRONT and their quest for facade materials.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Yep - architects don't make cities - they make buildings. The spaces in between the buildings are just as important - if not more important - than the individual buildings. This is afterall, where true public city life plays out. A city is not merely a collection of individual buildings.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    I'm quite tired of reading about the Rock Star Architect. The architects that I deal with are more like a really bad White Snake tribute band.
    I know you posted this several months ago, but I have to say, that was just ridiculously funny.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ripple View post
    Yep - architects don't make cities - they make buildings. The spaces in between the buildings are just as important - if not more important - than the individual buildings. This is afterall, where true public city life plays out. A city is not merely a collection of individual buildings.
    Agreed- I think that's one big reason why landscape architecture is a rapidly growing university major.
    Cyburbia's landscape architecture topics:
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/searc...earchid=586708

Quote Originally posted by doughnuts and coffee View post
    Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    I know you posted this several months ago, but I have to say, that was just ridiculously funny.
    I second that!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Apr 2008, 5:31 PM
  2. Sunday NY Times Magazine: Eco-tecture
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 May 2007, 9:11 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Dec 2006, 11:29 AM
  4. NY Times Magazine: architecture Issue