Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Attire for 'informational' interviews?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Attire for 'informational' interviews?

What's the best way to dress for an 'informational' interview?

I'm looking for a job as a landscape architect / planner in the Atlanta area. I'm not getting much response from the few job ads that are posted, so I'm starting a process of cold-calling firms. I'm sending a letter requesting a short informational meeting and an illustrated resume, and following that up with a phone call.

Assuming I get my foot in the door, how should I dress? I'm leaning towards typical business dress for most firms - slacks and a nice shirt, but no coat or tie. The summer heat makes the idea of formal attire a bit oppressive, and it also seems a bit too much.

Thoughts?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I would probably wear lean towards wearing a tie, but no coat. Then again, if you were coming in to talk to me on one of these informational interviews, I wouldn't think that you were underdressed or looked unprofessional without a tie. In fact, I just wore slacks and a nice shirt for the informational interview I had last year that eventually resulted in my current job (which I'm about to leave), but that's because I knew that this particalar company has a very relaxed dress code.

Maybe one way to go about it would be to wear a tie to talk to companies inside the perimeter (Vinings/Buckhead/Midtown/Downtown) and not wear a tie OTP...the suburban firms tend to have slightly more dressed down office environments.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Brian, when I was down in Georgia and did informational interviews I just wore khakis and a white shirt when I visited UGA and the other design firms (I don't think they cared too much).

You might also want consider investing in a sport coat in a tropical weight wool. A navy blue or grey blazer is very durable. I have worn it on trains and planes and it is very reliable, lightweight, and will last for years. Just make sure you have it professionally altered by a tailor/master tailor. I can't tell you how many conferences, workshops, or other meetings where guys wear a jacket/suit that is too large or with enormous shoulder pads and it looks terrible. Women can get away with wearing suits off the rack, but guys can't.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I vote for tie but no suit. You never know if they value ties and if not they won't fault you for wearing one.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I would agree with the light weight blue wool sport coat and tailored, this can always be used in your career
    Trousers can be khackis or if you can afford it a pair of light weight grey wool again tailored,
    Make sure the white shirt is a quality white shirt and go with a conservative tie,

These items are a good basic ward robe through out your career

I sincerely wish you good luck on your search and let us know how you do

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I've never (in an urban/suburban area) had anyone think poorly of a tie. But knowledge of the area helps greatly. Try and find out from people in the area what is the 'norm'. I had one interview where I wore a suit and everyone else was wearing slacks and polo shirts (some not tucked in). While I got a few comments about being overdressed, no one held it against me. I got the job and wore a tie to work everyday. I was the only one. The President even gave me the occasional jab, but when someone stopped by or something unexpected popped up I wasn't running around trying to find a change of clothes.

To sum, wear what you will be comfortable in. Look nice enough that your clothes don't distract from you. And I would always err on the same side.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Appropriate attire?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Nov 2012, 1:25 AM
  2. Appropriate Fitness Attire
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Jul 2012, 6:52 PM
  3. Vegas attire
    Friday Afternoon Club