Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Kinda' Dumb Question Thread

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by steel View post
    The suburbs are mostly run by Republicans who supposedly stand for small government that stays out of your life. So why do the suburbs seem to have more rules set by government?
    Because each Republican suburb thinks that it's "the exception" due to "extenuating circumstances":

"We have Republican values and don't believe in interfering in people's lives, and that's how the suburbs should be. Due to extenuating circumstances in our town, however, we must make an exception."

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What is the whole point behind stores and manufacturers offering rebates?
    Here, if you buy this computer for $400 we'll give a $100 rebate.
    Why not just sell the damned thing for $300 to begin with?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What is the whole point behind stores and manufacturers offering rebates?
    Why not just sell the damned thing for $300 to begin with?
    That's actually an excellent question -- it's a topic that's studied in university marketing classes.

(1) There's a certain percentage of people who will somehow mess up and: lose the rebate form; not write in for the rebate; fill it out incorrectly; address/stamp it incorrectly; lose the check; not cash the check within the one-year(?) period; etc.

(2) Between the time of the rebate offer and the time the rebatee cashes the check, the manufacturer earns interest on the money.

(3) The manufacturer's name may be mentioned (more) in the ad if there's a rebate; ergo, "name recognition."

(4) a. Most prospective purchasers think that a product is more valuable if it costs more.
    b. They love the idea of "getting a bargain" on an expensive, (and therefore more valuable, in their eyes), product.

(5) In some product lines, rebates are so prevalent that a manufacturer who does not offer one is regarded by prospective purchasers as a cheapskate.

(6) C'mon, MBA wannabes, help me out here!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Adding to Seana list -

They what to give that product a push because other methods have not moved it.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Adding to Seana list -

They what to give that product a push because other methods have not moved it.
    Yes! And how could we have forgotten the stock price of the manufacturer? Rebates may keep the company's stock price more even:

If manufacturer thinks that revenues will be relatively low this quarter and much higher next quarter, (new product intro?), offer a rebate the second half of this quarter. Chalk up the revenue surge to this quarter's profits, then delay paying out the rebate until the first day of next quarter.

Now what if next quarter's revenues were not as high as expected? (New product was a bust?) Well then, just offer another product rebate and expense it out the following quarter.

(And so on, and so on...?)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Can anyone tell me why the APA Bookstore site does NOT allow you to search by title or author? Or am I just too overejumekated to figure it out?

Looking for:
    Qualitative Analysis for Planning & Policy, Gaber
    Urban Land Use Planning, Berke
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Can anyone tell me why the APA Bookstore site does NOT allow you to search by title or author?
    I'd wondered that, too! I emailed the contact about it, and so far, no reply.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    I'd wondered that, too! I emailed the contact about it, and so far, no reply.
    I guess it's just another way of them being non-user friendly.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I guess it's just another way of them being non-user friendly.
    In this case, they're shooting themselves in the foot, no?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    In this case, they're shooting themselves in the foot, no?
    It seems like that is nothing new.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What exactly is that round instrument with the headband you see on every single stereotypical image of a doctor pre-1960?

Registered
    May 2005
    How can people with no discernable intelligence rise to levels of power and prominence?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    How can people with no discernable intelligence rise to levels of power and prominence?
    Shouldn't this post be in the Ssarah Palin thread?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Shouldn't this post be in the Ssarah Palin thread?
    Ummmmmm..........yes.

I really need to stop PWI.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    What exactly is that round instrument with the headband you see on every single stereotypical image of a doctor pre-1960?
    It's a head reflector. Basically it reflects light from a mirror on the wall to dark places such as a throat. It has a hole in the center of it and so it can be lowered in front of the doctors eye to illuminate what he/she was looking at. It was used in the days before flashlights.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If men suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth would women just as suddenly stop wearing high heel shoes and bras?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Many say women dress the way they do to impress or intimidate other women so I doubt it and trust me when you have um larger bits the bra is your hated best friend
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    If men suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth would women just as suddenly stop wearing high heel shoes and bras?
    I don't ever wear heels. They aren't comfortable and I don't need the height enhancement.

Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    Many say women dress the way they do to impress or intimidate other women so I doubt it and trust me when you have um larger bits the bra is your hated best friend
    Agreed 200%

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I haven't worn a bra except to work and for some social occasions since... well, since college. Right now, I'm wearing a t-shirt and no bra. Nobody's ever complained, except my mother...

I've only worn high heels a few times in the last, oh, 7 years. Because I didn't have to, in my last job, except for a few meetings. You'd think I'd want to, being less than 5 feet tall... nope.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    ....I've only worn high heels a few times in the last, oh, 7 years....
    And they looked good.

OK, so I'm a pig.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    And they looked good.
    Were you talking about your wonderfully clean and bright White Tiled Floor ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    And they looked good.

OK, so I'm a pig.
    We've come to expect nothing less

What about "dumb" questions other people ask you?

One of the funniest "dumb" questions I've ever heard was when a white girl at work asked me, "why do black people get tattoos? It's not like you can SEE them."

I thought it was hilarious, but some of my black friends seemed a bit *ahem* offended by it.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    What about "dumb" questions other people ask you?

One of the funniest "dumb" questions I've ever heard was when a white girl at work asked me, "why do black people get tattoos? It's not like you can SEE them."

I thought it was hilarious, but some of my black friends seemed a bit *ahem* offended by it.
    The dumbest question I've ever been asked was when I went from Fl to college in Massachusetts in 1975 and more than one moron asked me if we had malls in Fl. As in "Where do you go to buy your clothes? Do you have to go to NYC?". Not that I had any designer clothes or anything; they just didn't think the south had department stores.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just had a girl facebook me she thought i was an uncle.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Nov 2010, 8:08 AM
  2. Really "dumb" job hunting question
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Oct 2004, 8:30 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Mar 2003, 3:29 PM
  4. Question and kinda rant-