Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Kinda' Dumb Question Thread

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why can't I buy cotton candy on a stick?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Sitting in a coffeehouse somewhere in central Austin, I'm going to ask a question that I've been pondering for the past couple of years: where do all of the old laptop computers go? I'm using a 12" Apple iBook G4 (1.33 GHz, 512 megs of memory) that's about four and a half years old. Everybody else in here are either using Mac laptops that can't be more than a year old (chicklet-type keyboard) or high-end PC notebooks.
    Well, perhaps they go to the same place where all of those missing pens go.

(There's got to be one incredible pen purgatory out there somewhere.... )

Mike

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Well, perhaps they go to the same place where all of those missing pens go.

(There's got to be one incredible pen purgatory out there somewhere.... )

Mike
    The same place that socks go.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    The same place that socks go.
    Nah- socks get eaten by the washing machine...
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Sitting in a coffeehouse somewhere in central Austin, I'm going to ask a question that I've been pondering for the past couple of years: where do all of the old laptop computers go? I'm using a 12" Apple iBook G4 (1.33 GHz, 512 megs of memory) that's about four and a half years old. Everybody else in here are either using Mac laptops that can't be more than a year old (chicklet-type keyboard) or high-end PC notebooks.
    Watch this ==> www.storyofstuff.com

Usually you can recycle your old laptop which is a lot better than throwing it in the trash.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    What do you do when you see a really great quote that you want to pass around--but it's from the mouth of a celebrity whom you don't respect?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    What do you do when you see a really great quote that you want to pass around--but it's from the mouth of a celebrity whom you don't respect?
    So is the messenger is more important/noticable than the message ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    So is the messenger is more important/noticable than the message ?
    I'm concerned that as soon as I say who the messenger is, nobody will take the message seriously.

Hypothetical example:
    If Michael or Dina Lohan said: "Keeping a civil relationship with one's ex-spouse is of prime importance."

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Where does wax come from (besides bees) and what exactly is it?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Paraffin, a petroleum product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ever wonder why some women don maternity clothes almost immediately (we're talking like at 7-8 weeks.... before there's any chance of 'showing') and others wait until they absolutely have to?

I'm guessing shades of 'look at me everyone' in the one case and denial in the other.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Depends....natural wax is a combination of fat and alcohol molecules. Bees, plants, and animals (including people). It functions as a protective device in most instances-plants use it to retain water and repel irritants, bees use it to make their combs which protect their larvae and store food, animals us it as water repellent (lanolin in sheep's wool), or it functions as a cleaning/lubrication use (ear wax). Petroleum based wax is derived from oil as part of the refining process.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

So why would someone rather be blown up than be seen as a naked blob-man in an airport scanner?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by steel View post
    So why would someone rather be blown up than be seen as a naked blob-man in an airport scanner?
    See posts #137 and #141 here.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

See posts #137 and #141 here.

Hmm, I am pretty sure it is the opposite of the issue illustrated in that post taht has people worried

Registered
    Feb 2004

Is there a practical reason that most of the 1930's- 1960's vintage roller rinks all seem to have this style of roof?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by steel View post
    Well perhaps it is because you have a one in 10 million chance of being blown up, but a 1 in 1 chance of being seen as a naked blob man (not to mention being exposed to radiation).
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Is there a practical reason that most of the 1930's- 1960's vintage roller rinks all seem to have this style of roof?
    Just speculation but that was a pretty inexpensive and popular industrial building style in the pre- and post-WWII years. I'm guessing that because it gave a lot of freespan space, it was a natural for roller rinks too. The original roller rink in my hometown actually had some support posts in the center of the rink. For some reason, roller hockey never really caught on until a new rink with open floor was built in the 60's.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    I think Ofos hit it on the head. The original design concept came from the Quonset hut - the military's answer to a near-instant structure that could be shipped prefab and assembled on site with unskilled or semi-skilled labor. They developed and starting using it in 1941 (or so wikipedia says) and it spread to non-military applications following the war.

The reason the design endured in the military and beyond is, I think, in part because of the large interior expanse that does not require roof supports in the middle of the building. Perfect for a rink or any number of other applications. Other ways of creating this span were perhaps more expensive.

What dreary picture, though. My mind says "keep driving - there's nothing to see here"
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I bet ofos and wahday are on the right track.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I bet ofos and wahday are on the right track.
    That is not a 'quonset hut' style roof, it is a wood-frame arch-truss design and was used even earlier than 1940 for airport hangars. Yes, they were economical to build and allow for large clear floor areas - a natural for roller rinks. They were also common for such uses as bus barns and other large garages as well as for bowling centers and ballrooms.

Quonset huts are all steel, essentially variants of multi-section steel culvert pipes, and are still available for sale today in various forms.

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    That is not a 'quonset hut' style roof, it is a wood-frame arch-truss design and was used even earlier than 1940 for airport hangars. Yes, they were economical to build and allow for large clear floor areas - a natural for roller rinks. They were also common for such uses as bus barns and other large garages as well as for bowling centers and ballrooms.

Quonset huts are all steel, essentially variants of multi-section steel culvert pipes, and are still available for sale today in various forms.

Mike
    Good eye! But how can you tell its not a corrugated steel roof covered with snow? I do see that Maister's dates start in 1930, though, so that rules out the Quonset by a decade. d'oh!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Good eye! But how can you tell its not a corrugated steel roof covered with snow? I do see that Maister's dates start in 1930, though, so that rules out the Quonset by a decade. d'oh!
    Well, the outer skin of that arch COULD have been made of corrugated steel (covered with tar stuff), but the actual supporting structure is built of wood trusses. In a quonset hut, the corrugated steel *IS* the structure.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What are the costs involved in adopting a child?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    What are the costs involved in adopting a child?
    Srsly?

In my state, there's a home study and a lot of paperwork. Depending on circumstances, there are stipends for various costs.

International adoption: application fees to the (for-profit) company organizing it, overseas travel.

Relative adoption: some simple court costs.

HTH. PM me (here or on FB) for further discussion.

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Nov 2010, 8:08 AM
  2. Really "dumb" job hunting question
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Oct 2004, 8:30 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Mar 2003, 3:29 PM
  4. Question and kinda rant-