Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Kinda' Dumb Question Thread

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Hank Senior was a habitual drunkard who could never hold a job in the biz (he was fired from the Grand Old Opry due to his constant drunkenness, for example) and died young in that state of condition. Hank Junior is, IMHO, the far better of the two.

(And I am most decidedly not a country music nutcase.)

Mike
    Yeah, Hank Jr. is a real class act...Are you ready for some football?

OT: As for Hank Sr., personally, I don't view alcoholism or drug addiction as something to negate someone's contribution to culture and history. Alcoholism is a disease. Anyway, Hank Sr. is widely considered to be an extremely influential musician in the American landscape, including on Rock and Roll. Hank Jr. not so much, though I don't discount that he has had a notable influence as well (despite, in my opinion, being a prick). Obviously, music is a matter of taste, but discounting someone's contribution to the world because they were an alcoholic seems kind of a low blow (said the son of two). Personally I think Hank Sr. was a genius and I'm not alone in this (from Wikipedia):

In 1961, Williams was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, and he was inducted in the Alabama Music Hall of Fame in 1985. In 1987, he was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame under the category Early Influence. He was ranked second in CMT's 40 Greatest Men of Country Music in 2003, behind only Johnny Cash. In 2004 Rolling Stone ranked him number 74 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. The website Acclaimedmusic, which collates recommendations of albums and recording artists, has a year-by-year recommendation for top artists. Hank Williams is ranked first for the decade 1940–1949 for his song "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry." Many rock and roll pioneers of the 1950s, such as Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Jerry Lee Lewis, Merle Haggard, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, Ricky Nelson, Jack Scott, and Conway Twitty recorded Williams songs early in their careers.
    Now I wants me some Hank! Better dig out the Complete Works collection this weekend....
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Why are barns painted dark red?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Why are barns painted dark red?

Linseed oil, blood, and rust apparently. Link.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Why don't all women's bras hook in the front? Just seems like it'd be more convenient.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Why don't all women's bras hook in the front? Just seems like it'd be more convenient.
    Sometimes support is more important than ease of access.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    That could be read as some planning principle.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Off-topic:

That could be read as some planning principle.

I likey!

Planit approves of this message (and will probably use it in a future planning related presentation).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I just adamantly disagree with this statement. We must just come from two different perspectives....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Why don't all women's bras hook in the front?
    Regardless of her cup size, a woman's sternum may be too thin for a hook.

<unrelated question> Am I REALLY ready to join Teh Clube?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    <unrelated question> Am I REALLY ready to join Teh Clube?
    <corollary question> Is Teh Clube REALLY ready for Seana?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What happens to slightly used hotel soap after the guest departs?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    It is melted down and reformed into slightly smaller bars of soap that are then sold to slightly smaller hotels. I thought everyone knew that!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Mostly they are just thrown out. But there's this group that recycles the collected soap and remanufactures it for export to developing countries to help with hygiene initiatives. http://www.globalsoap.org/
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Any that we slightly use gets added to the travel kit by my waste-not, want-not spouse and follows us home. Same with shampoo and conditioner.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Any that we slightly use gets added to the travel kit by my waste-not, want-not spouse and follows us home. Same with shampoo and conditioner.
    I that too. I rarely have to buy travel size toiletries as a result.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why do Chinese restaurants pour red syrup on banana pieces?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Why do Chinese restaurants pour red syrup on banana pieces?
    Cheap way to make a classic traditional dessert. The real deal takes about an hour and a half with the syrup turning naturally red in the cooking process.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Why are the vast majority of cars named after places named after places Out West?
    Malibu, Colorado, Tahoe, Aspen, Sonoma, Santa Fe, Tuscon, Monterey, Sundance, Bonneville, Catalina, Montana.......

Okay, not all cars are named after places west of the Mississippi, I believe Yugo briefly produced a car called the Florida, but I'd guess 90% of the cars that are named after places are named after places out west.
    Last edited by Maister; 13 Feb 2013 at 8:38 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Do you Harlem Shuffle ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Why are the vast majority of cars named after places Out West?
    Malibu, Colorado, Tahoe, Aspen, Sonoma, Santa Fe, Tuscon, Monterey, Sundance, Bonneville, Catalina, Montana.......

Okay, not all cars are named after places west of the Mississippi, I believe Yugo briefly produced a car called the Florida, but I'd guess 90% of the cars that are named after places are named after places out west.
    The sense of nostalgic freedom of the west. Think Manifest Destiny now get into your car and driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Why are the vast majority of cars named after places named after places Out West?

I guess Cleveland, Newark, and Schenectady didn't test well as names of car models.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I guess Cleveland, Newark, and Schenectady didn't test well as names of car models.

Those sound like models for the budget-minded auto buyer.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    The sense of nostalgic freedom of the west. Think Manifest Destiny now get into your car and driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive.
    Yep. Ironically, the people naming those cars have obviously never been parked in one of them on the I-5 trying to get out of LA. Holy crap.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    ... Manifest Destiny .....
    Hmmm, I wonder if Detroit should consider that name for one of the newer SUV lines?
    (this would be a good place for someone to provide a youtube link to the Simpson's 'Canyonero' commercial

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Hank Senior was a habitual drunkard who could never hold a job in the biz (he was fired from the Grand Old Opry due to his constant drunkenness, for example) and died young in that state of condition. Hank Junior is, IMHO, the far better of the two.

(And I am most decidedly not a country music nutcase.)

Mike
    Hank Senior was a talented musician. He had problems, but most of his really hard drinking problems occured later in his too short life. Hank the third is also a talented musician. Talent skips generations in the Williams family. Hank Jr. is a constant drunk with no musical talent. I'm suprised that you would make this statement about him. Hank Jr. is essentially an embarassment to his family.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Nov 2010, 8:08 AM
  2. Really "dumb" job hunting question
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Oct 2004, 8:30 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Mar 2003, 3:29 PM
  4. Question and kinda rant-