Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Howdy from the Great State of NC!

Registered
    Jun 2008

Howdy from the Great State of NC!

Just wanted to stop by and give my hello's to all from NC. I used to peruse the forum as a guest, and decided to go ahead an join. I am a recent transplant to Eastern NC from sunny South Florida, courtesy of the military . l have been doing planning and redevelopment for about 5 years and look forward to contributing and learning more from each of you on the boards!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Greetings from Georgia.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    A big Western howdy from the Queen City of the Rockies, under the Big Sky, in the Last Best Place.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hoosier State, along the Ohio River, in the Central Time Zone.

There are a few Marines here in Cyburbia.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from downeast Maine!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I worked Rockingahm, NC for 7-8 years some time ago. Get involved with the Institue of Government in Chapel Hill. Great organization.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Greetings from another Florida transplant now in NC (triangle-area), just moved here this past week. I moved because of the housing downturn and the local government cuts.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Greetings from teh Florida panhandle.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome I used to be a planner for the City of Greensboro now live in the DC metro area.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Greetings from another Florida transplant now in NC (triangle-area), just moved here this past week. I moved because of the housing downturn and the local government cuts.
    That was also a thought in the back of my mind when I left. It's awful down there now, so I think I got 'out' at the right time...lol. I miss it every now and then, but when I get homesick, I just look at my electric bill and my previously non-existent savings account, and all that goes away...LOLOL

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    I worked Rockingahm, NC for 7-8 years some time ago. Get involved with the Institue of Government in Chapel Hill. Great organization.
    I agree! I attended their Summer Planning Institute a few weeks ago and it was really good. They are a really good resource!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Greetings from Central Arizona and a occasional visitor to the Tar Heel State!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by iCanPlan View post
    That was also a thought in the back of my mind when I left. It's awful down there now, so I think I got 'out' at the right time...lol. I miss it every now and then, but when I get homesick, I just look at my electric bill and my previously non-existent savings account, and all that goes away...LOLOL
    Absolutely, certain population centers in Florida feel like sinking ships for planners. I just graduated with my masters degree there and several of my classmates, at least the ones that have been able to get jobs, had to go out of Florida to find employment.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Greetings from a former Jacksonville resident!

I hated the area when I was there - I found it incredibly boring... But now I am constantly yearning to get back to the coastal Carolina area.

I think the beaches from Wilmington borth to Emerald Isle are by far the most underrated beaches along the Atlantic.

I don't know how long you have been there in the area, but if you haven't checked out Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn in Wilmington, it makes for a great excuse to get out of Jacksonville for an evening!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Feb 2013, 3:28 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 23 Jul 2008, 5:09 PM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last post: 24 Mar 2006, 9:45 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Feb 2005, 3:58 PM