Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transportation planning activity/jobs in Denver area?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003

Transportation planning activity/jobs in Denver area?

I've glanced at moving to Denver lately, especially after a conference visit there last August and in seeing a job listing there. Is anyone familiar with FasTracks, RTD or Blueprint Denver? What are people's impressions of different municipalities, agencies there? What's Denver Council of Regional Governments (DRCOG) like? I know they're the MPO for the area, as well as a traditional COG.

In my experience (TN, SC), MPOs, and especially COGs, don't seem to really do much, or at least get much respect, interest from local governments. Is DRCOG different, akin more to a Metro [Portland, Ore.] or Metropolitan Council [Twin Cities] regional agency that has some teeth, actual implementation, etc.? I saw a Wikipedia listing noting that DRCOG was instrumental in the I-25 TREX project, which seems pretty cool and substantive.

If anyone has thoughts on working for an MPO, or COG, particularly DRCOG, I'm all ears. I'm also interested to hear pros/cons of Mayor Hickenlooper, FasTracks, RTD, Greenprint Denver and any other Denver-area planning thoughts. Oh yeah, what's it like living there? Cost of living, etc.?
    Moderator note:
    This thread topic is better placed in the Career Development & Advice forum, since it is more about working in transportation planning in the Denver area, rather than actual transportation planning efforts.

mendelman
    Last edited by mendelman; 17 Jun 2008 at 2:48 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Not much out here in public sector lately, you may want to get on Indeed.com and look for private firms and hope - IOW there's some but nothing to write home about. Some municipalities are advertising, get on APA-Colo and check that. I'd also recommend setting up a bookmarks folder with all the cities within 50 mi of Denver & pound that once a week.

Anyway, next year looks brutal for transpo funding in this state, no respite from the downturn, and you'll be coming out here for the natural beauty, not the job prospects, in my view. But we know that, don't we?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003

Nice posts on Denver Post site

Dan,

I saw your silly profile pic on the Denver Post site and your good responses to the CNU articles, then remembered you're on here as well. Do you live in Denver proper, or nearby city?

Cheers,

Scott

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Jul 2010, 7:56 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 2:21 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Jul 2006, 4:33 PM
  4. Bay Area planning jobs?
    Career Development and Advice