Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fans of Other Area's Teams

Registered
    Nov 2002

Fans of Other Area's Teams

I'm not a big sports fan in general. I've always lived in the same area and I've never had a reason to not root for the locals.

I've never understood why some people go against the flow and become fans for some other team from another area. I'm not criticizing it, I'm just looking for opinions from those of you who root for other teams about what made you be a diehard Dolphins fan in NYC, a Cubs fan in LA, etc.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Being born and raised in Denver, I generally cheer for the Denver sports teams, especially the Denver Broncos.

However, during the 80s, Denver never had an NHL team and I got bitten by the hockey bug really bad. The closest connection to an NHL city that my family had was my aunt, uncle and six cousins that lived in Montreal, Quebec. So I began following the Habs at this time (and would get Canadiens schwag sent to me). In 1995, when the (hated by Habs fans) Quebec Nordiques moved to Denver to become the Colorado Avalanche, I was excited to have NHL hockey so close to town and that I could attend games easily, but I still stick to my original team, the Montreal Canadiens as my favorite. I cheer for Avs in every game except when they play Montreal.

Another outside team that I like is Notre Dame college football. My dad was born and raised in South Bend therefore every Saturday the Irish game was on. Face it, in Colorado we have D-1 college football, but without any ties to these universities in our family, there isn't much to cheer for.

So there you have it, does that help?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2004
    I think sometimes it deserves to be criticized.

I was born and raised in San Diego so I can only remember being a fan of the Chargers, Padres and Lakers (closest basketball team that isn't the clippers)

My brother never liked the Chargers because they sucked most of the time while we were growing up- and so he started rooting for the Steelers because they were good when he starting watching football. No he always roots for the steelers even though he has absolutely no connection to that team. I think he is lame.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I grew up in Tucson, AZ and am a die hard Atlanta Braves fan. My father was a huge baseball fan and no matter where we were stationed (he was a pilot in the Air Force) we had TBS so he became a Braves fan. When I was 4 I watched baseball with him and learned the game by watching the Braves get steam rolled through the 80's. Arizona got the Diamondbacks in 1998 and I could not stand the fans or Jerry Colangelo. When the D-backs bought the 2001 world series it further cemented my dislike for the organization.

For Hockey I am a Hurricanes fan. When I started to follow the sport I picked a team based upon the name...I chose the Whalers since it was the most politically incorrect team name I could find. When they moved to Carolina my allegiance followed...and I have family in the Raleigh area.

When I lived in Michigan I would causally follow the Tigers and Lions but I could not root for the Wings. I tried but it was like rooting for the Yankees. In DC I became a Nats and Caps fan but I could not get on the Redskins bandwagon...it just felt wrong.

In general, if I don't care for either team I root for the visitors, its part of my contrarian nature.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i grew up in New York, so i'm obviously a Yankees or Mets fan, right? NEVER!!!!!!! ick ick pooh pooh.

i detest the Yankees. my mom is from Boston and my dad is from Cleveland. so for baseball it is the Red Sox or Indians. for football it is the Browns.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    It is a REAL test having to work around several die-hard Bears fans here in NE Wisconsin - and they detest ANY other form of competitive sports.

Mike

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm a sports traitor in 2 areas. First, I've never liked Da Bears. When I was growing up in the '70s, they pretty much sunk up the place . I rooted for the Rams, they switched to the Colts when they moved to Indy.

Speaking of the Colts, tho I am in Saints territory now, I'll still root the Colts. And for the Braves, lets not go there. I've been Cubby blue since I was 2 and will die that way.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Twins fan here in Indiana, this is due to my ties to Minnesota from graduate school as well as my dad growing up in western Wisconsin. I am also a Steelers fan due to being born and having a lot of family in Western PA. Growing up in the Carolina's I am also a bit of a USC fan.

Here is an interesting site that actually maps the dominant teams in an area. This map is most interesting in areas without pro teams. For example Arkansas is strong for the St. Louis Cardnials, but prefers the Dallas Cowboys for football.

http://www.commoncensus.org/sports.php

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I've always followed my home town teams and teams from places I am associated with. Texas Rangers, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, Dallas Cowboys* from childhood; Oklahoma Sooners*, Oklahoma Redhawks (Rangers AAA), and New Orleans Hornets (while they were in OKC), and OKC Blazers (CHL) from my later years before moving to Austin. There was a period of time (that only the last three or four years has gotten me out of) when I couldn't bring myself to cheer for the Cowboys. The reason: Jerry Jones. I hate that guy. I still haven't forgiven him for firing Landry (on top of being an arrogant pr*~&#37 and putting up with/encouraging thuggery*. I started to come back when the Tuna was in Dallas and he put Mr. Jones in his rightful place - the owner's box.

I don't cheer for Austin area sports teams. The Round Rock Express (Astros AAA) are ok, unless they're playing the Redhawks. I could never support the University of Texas. It's against my religion, being an OU* graduate and proud alumni of the Pride of Oklahoma Marching Band. Boomer Sooner*.

* For the record, as I'm sure some may be thinking (because I've heard it before), I do not like Barry Switzer either, whether in his OU days or with the Cowboys. While I understand and have an learned appreciation of his legacy at OU, I do not like the man and what he represents. Thank God for Bob Stoops.

Growing up in central New Jersey in the 60s, I was raised in a family of Yankee fans (my father would become a metropolitans fan the next year, having been jilted by the Giants). Roger Maris became my idol. When the Yankees decided the Rog' was no longer good enough for them and they traded him to the St. Louis Cardinals in '66, it was clear to me that I was not good enough for the Yankees either. I've been a member of Cardinal Nation ever since.

Let me assure you, being a Cardinals fan in central NJ when both the Cards and Metropolitans were good wasn't easy. Not one bit.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

We bought the baseball cable package for the season. Now we are trying to find another team to root for (beside our beloved REDSOX). We thought about the Giants, but the games are on too late for us east coasters. We thought about the Nats cuz my spouse if from Maryland, but they just arn't that good (ditto for the Oriels). The Cubs? too many day games - we got to work. The Mets? from New York (and there is that 1986 business). Atlanta? We can't stand the tomahawk chop.

Any suggestions? (I probably should have put this in a separate thread weeks ago)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    That is a neat website.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Off-topic:

That is a neat website.
    A bit OT, but the main Common Census site has a lot of info about how people identify with their region.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

NW Ohio & The Bear

Posting from NW Ohio.

This Bear has always been a fan of the Detroit Tigers and the Detroit Red Wings. When the Pistons were still in Fort Wayne, IN, I wasn't a big fan of professional basketball, although I kinda liked the Cincinnati Royals. Eventually the Pistons arrived in Detroit (and I started to dig those guys) and those Royals moved on to Kansas City and other locales.

So pencil me in for three out of four Detroit major league sports franchises.

Not sure what inspired me to like the Pittsburgh Steelers. When I started to dig the Steelers they pretty much suxxed. When they started becoming regular attendees (and winners) at Super Bowls (1970s) it was fun watching so many others jump on the Steeler bandwagon. (About the time I started watching the Steelers I had a fascination with the city of Pittsburgh.....my grandparents on my Dad's side of the family were from that city.)

In college football I have always been partial to the University of Michigan. There is an obvious thread to that connection.....I am as strong believer that NW Ohio belongs in the state of Michigan.....for a ton of reasons, including economic, historical, and geographic. Go Blue !!!
    _____

Northwestern Ohio has a strange mix of alliances.

In baseball, my guess would be 40% Tigers, 40% Indians, 10% Yankees (ugh!), 5%Red Stockings, 2% Cubbies, and the balance % all others.

In hockey, my guess would be 75% Red Wings, 5% each for Toronto and Montreal, 2% Blue Jackets, and the balance % all others.

In basketball, my guess would be 50% Cavs, 40% Pistons, 5% Bulls, 3% Lakers, and the balance % all others.

In football, my guess would be 30% Browns, 20% Lions, 20% Steelers, 10% Packers, 5% Bengals, 5% Cowboys, 3% Patriots, and the balance % all others.

Distances: Toledo to Detroit, 54 miles.....Toledo to Cleveland, 105 miles.....Toledo to Columbus, 140 (guess) miles.....Toledo to Cincinnati, 200 miles.....Toledo to Chicago, 235 miles.....Toledo to Pittsburgh, 235 miles.....Toledo to Dallas, who cares?

In college football.....my guess would be 50% Ohio State, 35% Michigan, 5% Michigan State, 5% Notre Dame, and the balance % all others.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 1997
    My alliances are geographically varied, based on places I've lived. I grew up in Tucson, Arizona back before there were many major league teams in the Grand Canyon State. Never liked the Phoenix Suns much, but when the Cardinals and Diamondbacks located there, I became a fan, even though I'd moved elsewhere about then.

Then on to Indiana, where I picked up the Indiana Pacers and Indianapolis Colts, still my teams though I moved away almost 10 years ago.

Now here in North Texas, I've got the Texas Rangers, Dallas Mavericks, and Dallas Stars.

Strangely, this has kinda worked out as I have an AL team, an NL team, an NFC team, an AFC team, an Eastern Conference team, and a Western Conference team. Just one NHL team, though.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm wondering how people can be die hard fans of sports teams from a college that they didn't even attend?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I'm wondering how people can be die hard fans of sports teams from a college that they didn't even attend?
    Specially those ND fans.

Being in INDIANA, I follow -
    Football -
    College - CU BUFFS and Anybody that is playing Michigan or ND.
    NFL - Broncos, NY Giants, and sometimes the Colts.
    Basketball -
    College - only March Madness.
    NBA - None
    Hockey -
    College - none
    NHL - Jersey Devils.
    Baseball
    College - None
    MLB - Rockies, St. Louis, Mets. NO YANKEES.
    Last edited by JNA; 19 Jun 2008 at 8:07 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was born and raised in NoCal and I'm still a Giants, 49ers, and Warriors fan. Though I didn't attend Cal, I'm a fan although ZG is getting me pegged into the Gators.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm a diehard White Sox fan but yet I've lived in the northwest suburbs of Chicago all my life. People in the northern burbs are typically supposed to like the Cubs.

I'm also a Bulls, Bears, and Blackhawks fan.

And I will typically root for any college team from Illinois that's doing well, but always rooting the most for my own school, NIU.

My one friend who has always lived in Illinois is a Yankees and Packers fan. I never understood why. Does he just like them because they were good in the 90s? But I got to give him the benefit of the doubt since at least he picked his teams and stuck with them, unlike people who change their allegiances every year or two depending on who's good.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Coming from New England, it has been difficult for me to adjust to the NC sports protocols. The state is split evenly between Panthers, Redskins, and Falcons fans, most root for the Braves (and hate the Yankees), and college sports seem more popular than professional sports. Trot Nixon grew up here, so there were a lot of Red Sox fans until last year.

Registered
    May 2005
    I've lived in Michigan my whole life. The Tigers, Lions, Pistons, and Red Wings have always been near and dear to my heart. I've been fans of other teams for various reasons, but never have put them above those four.

As for college, I started out a UofM fan simply because that's what most people are in Michigan. As I got older, I realized I really didn't care all that much, and it was more fun to cheer on MSU because most UofM fans simply whine way too much and think they should win all the time (SORRY BEAR!! HAVE ONE ON ME )

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    It's been my experience that these are the people who quit watching/leave a sporting event when things are decisively not boding well for "their" team. Alumni tend to stick with their alma mater through thick and thin. Again, that's just my [limited] experience with the University of Oklahoma.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    They never shoulda took the Dodgers out of Brooklyn! When I was a kid I was a Dodgers fan. Lived in Tampa. At that time Florida (or the South) had no pro teams. Being a true 4th generation southern boy, I just hated Yankees!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Grew up and still live in Chicagoland, but became a Cards fan when I was in college downstate.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    From a British perspective, besides those fans that 'glory hunt', many of the reasons (if not invariably the only reason...) you would support a football team from outside your immediate locality would be down to family/dad's team.

For example, I was born and raised in the frozen northern wastelands of Cumbria(Carlisle to be exact) so should really support Carlisle United. However, my dad is from Sheffield and him and his family are all Sheffield United supporters. I quickly realised that the only way I would get to see a professional footy game would be to go and see Sheffield United.

I have therefore got my dad to thank of years of shattered dreams and abject failure.

Cheers dad.

Universities have absolutely no bearing on teams followed in the UK, college/Uni sports are simply at another level in the US.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Ceiling Fans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 23 Jun 2006, 2:27 PM
  2. Welcome Hockey Fans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Sep 2005, 6:17 PM
  3. Time for Red Sox Fans to Pay Up