Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Salvage building materials encouraged by the "green" approach but discouraged by code

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006

Salvage building materials encouraged by the "green" approach but discouraged by code

On a construction industry forum that I participate in, this article has been posted. It questions the useability of salvage material in new construction, in spite of the fact that it's a more "green" way of doing things.

Current building codes simply aren't formulated to accommodate the reuse of salvaged materials, leaving well-intentioned green builders caught in a classic Catch-22: As a matter of public policy, many progressive cities encourage the recycling of building materials, yet as a matter of administrative practice they make their use either economically impractical or else outright illegal.
    There certainly does seem to be some degree of contradiction existent. I'm curious as to how those of you in the planning profession reconcile that...

No one should use lead painted old building materials in anything, anywhere, anytime. Lead is a terrible toxic and is not safe in any amount. Sooner or later it ends up getting released and recycled materials will be more prone to leak.

It would be interesting to know if the energy savings of using recycled light fixtures (with incandescents) were greater than new energy efficiency fixtures, but that might be on a case by case basis.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    I'm not sure I agree w/ Gotta. If lead painted boards are used out of possible contact w/ people (say as siding face inward) I'm not sure there is more danger there than in putting into a C&D landfill.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Last edited by dogandpony; 11 Aug 2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: bad link

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Grants for building "green" roofs
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Jan 2009, 12:02 PM
  3. Replies: 6