Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job prospects and graduate specializations

Registered
    May 2008

Job prospects and graduate specializations

Hi,
    I'm attending UIC's Grad school this Fall and am trying to figure out what I want to specialize in. Since most of the concentrations are of interest to me, I was wondering what possibly has the highest employment rate for graduate students.
    The concentrations include the following: 1)community development 2) transportation 3) economic development 4) physical planning 5) international planning.
    Does anyone which concentration has the highest employment rate or any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Megan

Registered
    Mar 2008
    I'm glad you posted this question as I am having similar difficulty deciding upon a specialization (I will begin my study at Columbia this fall). If anyone can elaborate on international planning and how it differs from western planning, that would be greatly appreciated.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    I don't have hard numbers, but my gut says transportation and economic development.

Transportation planning is going to be the rage for a while, as the importance of alternate transportation becomes more critical. It's also more likely to pay better - traffic engineers get paid very well, and even highly-paid transportation planners are going to look cheap next to them.

Economic development is always good - even in down times, communities want to chase the dollars, and it's always important to be able to justify the worth of projects. Here, too the money should be better than average. The closer you are to the money, the more you're worth. If you can write grant proposals, you're always able to get jobs.....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    I chose to be a generalist and take the non-concentration route. I have found that the job market in my part of the country is quite receptive to folks like me.

If I were choosing concentrations, though, I would go in this order:

1) Community/economic development
    2) Housing
    3) Transportation

Best wishes.

Registered
    Jul 2008
    What do you think of environmental planning prospects?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    General Planning is also a highly sought after 'specialization' Most of planning in the public sector is done by planners that work on many aspects of those specializations for their communities. Knowing a little about alot of different things is in high demand! If you can get any certifications for the specializations I recommend that, I have a graduate certificate in Historic Preservation that served me well in my post-graduation job hunt.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by CaneGardenBay View post
    What do you think of environmental planning prospects?
    Not great.

The environmental side of things is over-hyped, and the environmental engineers have all the work locked up.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

Environmental Planning

Yah, I was thinking about Environmental Planning but figured it would be geared towards those with a heavy science background, or technical expertise. Kind of like Transportation Planning works well with Civil Engineering backgrounds.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Nov 2012, 4:29 AM
  2. Teaching prospects?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 15 Feb 2012, 9:31 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Jul 2011, 11:05 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 May 2011, 11:55 AM