Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 2014 Local/Regional Business Deathpool

Registered
    Mar 2006

2014 Local/Regional Business Deathpool

I just saw this article talking about what companies the author thinks might not make it to 2015, and it got me thinking:

What about local businesses in your community? Surely many of you are ear-to-the-ground planners like me. Is the corner ice cream place going to make it another yer? The non-chain pharmacy down the street from you? Got a big box in your city you think is apt to leave a gaping hole before the end of 2014?

Let's try for five, and I'll go first. Report your findings over the year and the winner gets something from my home state in the mail in early 2015.

My picks:

1. The scrapbooking store in the gas-station strip mall near the center of town. New last year and already ratcheted down to only being open on weekends. No way this owner is making rent.
    2. The brand-new luxury beer store. I love this guy's concept, but you can buy really great beer from local producers at gas stations and chain grocery stores around here. plus, he's in the highest-rent retail space available in town. Dunzo before Christmas.
    3. The bad Thai place. The building is plastered in illegal banners and they have changed concepts three times in the last 18 months.
    4. Best Buy. We have one in my town. I don't know if they will go out of business by the end of the year but I'm guess their 10-year lease is nearly up and they'll be looking for more compact digs.
    5. Independent Natural Foods store. They have been struggling for years and I am rooting for them, but they are about to be down the road from a Trader Joes. Toast.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm in a small town so things are slow to open and slow to close. I think most business owners own the building and so they don't have the need to close up shop, but I'll make some guesses. A great example is an old school electronics store. Think of a time before Radio Shack. The guy sells picture tubes. I actually think he doesn't sell anything unless he feels like it and just uses the place to get away from the wife and plot against me (long story)

1. The bad Mexican place that took over the rat infested Chinese place - hard call since people here will eat anything
    2. The hotel that used to be in a good spot, but now it's out of the way and there are so many better hotels around (it'll become an extended stay kind of place)
    3. My friends junk yard - I'm workin' on it
    4. The new cupcake place. I know we're slow on trends, but people here also bake
    5. One of the local coffee franchises, Starbucks has come to town.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    4. The new cupcake place.
    There is a cupcake place in my town as well, I don't understand how it stays in business, but I think it has something to do with being more approachable than a typical bakery.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I understand cupcake places in the mall. People eat. Just look at Cinnabon, I never thought so many people wanted a cinnamon roll, but I guess I was wrong. This place is on main street where there is some walking traffic, but not mall traffic.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Unlike many of the communities for which I have worked, the area in which I now live tends to have strong businesses. This is partly a function of the demographics. We are in the highest income county in the state (median household $75,000) and we do not have much of the cheap space that leads unqualified and poorly financed individuals to start shaky businesses. Still, my own community has made decisions that will lead to vacant space. A nearby strip center is anchored by a Walmart discount store. Two years ago Walmart opened a supercenter three miles south. This year the city council approved a rezoning, inconsistent with the comprehensive plan and in the face of strong opposition from the neighbors, to allow a new supercenter two miles north. When the old Walmart closes it will lead to other businesses in the center closing. My bets are the frozen yogurt place, the new restaurant in the laughable "town center" (which started as IHOP and changed when they could not afford to keep the banner, then closed three months later and remained dark for three years before the current restaurant opened), the other new restaurant (which started as Atlanta Bread Company, which closed and was replaced with an independent that kept the same menu and even the same menu boards with a new logo, then closed, leaving the building empty for nearly two years until the newest rendition opened a short time ago).
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    ohhh, fun thread idea

1. The electronic cigarette store in our little downtown. Anything that's not kid-friendly around here is a hard sell and we smoke real tobaccy in NC
    2. The new yogurt shop in that generic plaza, you know with the cute name and toppings...seriously now much expensive yogurt could one possibly sell
    3. The new restaurant that keeps violating the sign ordinance, because the lack of signage is why they aren't busy.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2005
    1) Local frozen yogurt place that is like an icebox inside and is not as tasty as the Yogurtland that opened up just across the street last year.

2) One of the two local pet stores that are now across the street from each other. If either goes I hope it’s the older one because I like the friendly staff and prices at the newer one. However, the older one has small pets for sale (fish, birds, guinea pigs, etc.) with the cages/tanks/etc. that go with them, so they might each have enough of a niche to co-exist.

3) The nail salon that I used to like but is now under a different owner and he seemed oblivious that he gave me a terrible manicure.

*Note, all of these mentioned above are within ¼ mile of each other.

4) Hot dog “restaurant” downtown. It seems like they only reason they exist is to feed drunken frat guys after the bars close. But maybe that’s enough of a reason.

5) One of these acai/yogurt/granola/fruit bowl places. There are at least four in town that I know of, and the market has to be oversaturated now. Bowls aren’t as convenient to eat as smoothies and some of the smoothie places also sell the bowls.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The 'new' consignment store (#3 in this location)
    Car detailing place (which might actually stay since they might be washing money instead of cars)
    Dos Compadres Mexican/Costa Rican restaurant (most recently El Marquez & before that El Tapatico & before that La Buena Comida & before that...those are the 3 names I can remember)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Faust_Motel View post
    There is a cupcake place in my town as well, I don't understand how it stays in business, but I think it has something to do with being more approachable than a typical bakery.
    We've had several come and go already. Nail salons are another here and gone establishment for us.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    great thread idea!

The computer repair store across the street
    The brick and mortar Family Video store. I don't think there's another 'video' store in the county.
    dog grooming place that made such a stink about being in an office zoning district
    car alarm installation place that moved into the spot formerly occupied by an independently owned oil change place

- this reminds me of an old SNL skit about a husband and wife that run a failing 'scotch tape store' in the mall.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2006
    We had a pet funeral parlor go in and out of a space in about a month and a half. It was sad, really. It was clearly the owners' true passion while she continued to wait tables to get by. Sometimes I deal with people who are real jerks about our permit process and I know all the work I do to help them is going to be for naught because they are fly-by-night or whatever (looking at you, cash-for-gold-guy). But the pet funeral parlor lady was just such a nice person, and I'm standing there, taking her money for sign and change of use permits thinking "this is never going to work."

In the end you get them their permits and wish them the best of luck, then feel bad driving by the vacant building a few months later.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Oct 2012, 8:38 PM
  2. Local and regional mispronunciations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 13 Mar 2008, 4:25 PM
  3. Planning for local business/ local agriculture
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Jul 2006, 12:10 PM