Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Georgia DOT converts HOV to HOV toll lanes

Registered
    Dec 2006

Georgia DOT converts HOV to HOV toll lanes

Link to Atlanta's Channel 11 news story.

The Georgia Department of Transportation is moving forward with a more than $400 million plan to convert all 44 miles of HOV lanes in the city to toll lanes.
    What will be the result of this? What is it a municipality would hope to achieve by converting HOV lanes to HOV toll lanes? Is it a sound transportation planning practice, or simply a revenue generator?

Input? Thoughts?

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    I don't know enough about Georgia's HOV lanes to intelligently comment.
    (My initial reaction was: "Carpoolers are being punished! Single occupancy drivers are being rewarded!")

I know a lot about Long Island's HOV lanes. Their purpose is to encourage carpooling, thereby: saving energy; reducing pollution emissions; improving traffic flow; and contributing to the 'keep Long Island green' movement. If tolls were placed on Long Island's HOV lanes, I'm certain that much fewer people would carpool.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Large car pools and buses could ride for free, but single drivers and small car pools would have to pay.
    I wonder what the threshold's gonna be? 3 occupants? 4? 8?

Currently there's an exemption for motorcycles and 'Certified Alternative Fuel Vehicles' to use the HOV lane, even if traveling solo. I wonder if they'll still fall into the 'ride for free' category after toll implementation? Otherwise - depending on the toll amount - there will be dimished incentive for me to ride my motorcycle on my 48-mile round trip every day. I'll seriously have to do a pro forma to see what the benefit/cost of my commute will be if they tack an extra $2-4/day onto my commute.

48 mile round trip: 5,000 lb. truck uses 3.2 gallons, 455 lb. bike uses 1.06 gallons; at $3.90/gallon, that's $12.48/day in the truck, $4.16 on the bike. The bike saves about 12 minutes on the way in to work, about 8 on the way home. Tolls on the bike add ???/day. Hmm...

And they just last week finished extending the HOV lanes on I-85 all the way out to Sugarloaf on the S/B side, and they'll be done with the N/B lanes probably this week or next. So sad...

Registered
    Feb 2003
    the question is how many people are carpooling in ATL? If it is not that many, than a congestion toll makes more sense (to me).

EDIT: and it will still make sense to carpool btw, to share the gas AND the toll... sort of a win-win (again, to me).
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    May 2007

Just Paying the Bills...

The Georgia DOT is kinda broke - so they might be looking for any scheme to increase that cash flow... From the AJC...

GDOT fears $1 billion shortfall

By Ariel Hart
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 04/10/08

The [Georgia] state Department of Transportation may be in a $1 billion hole to pay for projects it has promised in the near future, DOT officials said Wednesday, just after Gov. Sonny Perdue said he has authorized calling in an outside company for an audit of DOT finances.

The implications of the shortfall are bad enough for projects already earmarked for funding, which could be cut or postponed. But the picture is even grimmer for the thousands of projects on department books for future funding.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 12:11 PM
  2. Toll roads?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Nov 2006, 9:10 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 09 Nov 2005, 7:55 PM
  4. Any Religious Converts Here?
    Friday Afternoon Club