Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Article about fake speed bumps

HEADLINE: Illusion tested to slow speeders
    as seen in the Louisville Courier-Journal
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...CYyBAD91IKPV80

HIGHLIGHT:
    A smaller experiment two years ago in the Phoenix area found the faux speed bumps slowed traffic, at least temporarily. Now, in a much bigger test that began earlier this month, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration wants to find out if the markers can also reduce pedestrian accidents.

The 3-D markings are appealing because, at $60 to $80 each, they cost a fraction of real speed bumps (which can run $1,000 to $1,500) and require little maintenance, said Richard Simon, deputy regional administrator for the highway safety administration.

On one of three streets tested in the Phoenix trial, the percentage of drivers who obeyed the 25 mph speed limit nearly doubled. But the effect wore off after a few months.
    Interesting fake out.
    Do you think this is any more effective than a mobile "your speed is" display unit ?
    Is this worth passing along to your fair community's engineer and MPO ? I believe so.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

I don't see this working at all. Maybe the first time someone goes over it, yes. As soon as I realize its not a speed bump, especially if it's on a route I drive regularly, then I'm not slowing down. If they need speed bumps, they need speed bumps.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There is some utility in this. For example, where I-75 makes a hard left at the interchange of I-375, the ramp is covered with all of these funky paint markings to give the effect one is driving much faster than they actually are. I have only been through that interchange a few times, but when I do, it always slows me down.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by shelbycakes View post
    I don't see this working at all. Maybe the first time someone goes over it, yes. As soon as I realize its not a speed bump, especially if it's on a route I drive regularly, then I'm not slowing down. If they need speed bumps, they need speed bumps.
    I agree that they are not a long-term solution. However, I do think they have some usefulness. $60 bucks is a small price to pay to test whether the speed bump will be effective before throwing $1,500 at the problem.

For the record, I think speed bumps are about the worst traffic calming method out there, but they are probably the cheapest.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Very cool....

What a great idea.....now if they can just perfect those holograms of small children darting in and out of LA freeway traffic, the world would be much safer On Halloween they could have holographic images of Freddy and Jason chasing victims across the road Or how about a holographic image of a brick wall appearing out of no where for people traveling 20mph or more above the speed limit....that would be cool too.....but then we'd start getting complaints about the noise caused by screeching tires

Seriously....I love this technology stuff
    Skilled Adoxographer

It will be interesting to see if this spreads. There are always new ideas being tested. My co-worker and I were on our way to work a few months ago and encountered a cardboard cutout of a police officer holding a radar gun on the side of the road. It was hilarious, especially since it was gone by the afternoon and we never saw it again.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    On a busy street, it will only take a few drivers not used to the area to slow things down for everyone who are used to the area. I think that is where the effectiveness comes into play. It won't help when it is off-peak and the drivers know they are fake.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2008
    In a couple of small towns with high speed state roads running through, I saw police cruisers with HOV lane "dummy" passengers propped in the drivers' seats with police caps on parked on the side of the highway! I guess if most of your traffic goes straight through town, it might work. And amuse the locals.

Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm not sure if this is such a great idea, it may be simply a waste of $60-$80.

My first thought is if there is not sufficient warning of speed bumps (even if fake) that I tend to slam on my brakes because they can pop out at the last minute. If drivers are not aware about an approaching speed bump they may becomed involved in a rear-end collision.

Secondly, I agree with the other posts that after a while they may become invisible to drivers that frequent the road.

I would tend to argue that if a city wants to slow traffic with just paint, they should use it to increase the drivers friction. (kind of like what DetroitPlanner mentioned on I-75).

However it is good that we are coming up with solutions to reduce the crash rates in the US.

Registered
    Jun 2008
    I know this is an old post, but I have to say it.

If you want to slow people down, why not try ENFORCEMENT?

Seriously, there are a few villages around Cincinnati (Terrace Park being one of them) where people just do not speed because it is very common to see a cop hiding off to the side and occasionally with a customer.

Hiding off to the side is half the equation. You also have to see cops with customers, as when the cops don't enforce the laws, it is just like not having one there.

Speed humps create a lot of problems:
    • I know of many where you can see grooves in the pavement where vehicles have bottomed-out (scraped) after going over the hump.
    • Drainage becomes a problem.
    • They can't be plowed over (or at least they won't plow over them here in Cincinnati)
    • They have a tendency to cause people to speed up between the humps
    • They slow emergency responders (fire trucks, ambulances, and police)
    • They are very uncomfortable in a pick-up truck or a large truck (they aren't as bad as speed bumps, but they are still bad)
    • They force all drivers to slow down to normally 15 MPH, regardless of whether they were speeding in the first place

I know of a few places where speed calming measures make sense, but as of late, I have seen more speed humps (particularly) that have been installed as a reaction to a small number of speeders, so the speed humps are like marginally effective "24 hour cops".

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by shelbycakes View post
    I don't see this working at all. Maybe the first time someone goes over it, yes. As soon as I realize its not a speed bump, especially if it's on a route I drive regularly, then I'm not slowing down.
    You probably will once the car in front of you slows down, or the car in front of him, or the car in front of him...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    HEADLINE: Illusion tested to slow speeders
    as seen in the Louisville Courier-Journal
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...CYyBAD91IKPV80

HIGHLIGHT:

Interesting fake out.
    Do you think this is any more effective than a mobile "your speed is" display unit ?
    Is this worth passing along to your fair community's engineer and MPO ? I believe so.

My street has "your speed is..." and they do not work.

IMHO fake speed bumps work once. After you know its fake, you ignore them.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Maybe they do....

Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    My street has "your speed is..." and they do not work.

IMHO fake speed bumps work once. After you know its fake, you ignore them.
    Remember, those digital speed indicators work better when the display is turned off.....people think they are broken or innactive....then they drive like they normally would....thus creating a realistic speed analysis.....genius really. Ask your local public works or police for a print out of the speeds on your street.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Remember, those digital speed indicators work better when the display is turned off.....people think they are broken or innactive....then they drive like they normally would....thus creating a realistic speed analysis.....genius really. Ask your local public works or police for a print out of the speeds on your street.
    Good idea. Thanks!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 42
    Last post: 07 Mar 2007, 5:41 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Dec 2006, 7:05 PM
  3. Article - Terrorist Speed Camera Rebels
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Nov 2003, 4:20 PM