Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Beekeeping ordinance

Registered
    Jan 2008

Beekeeping ordinance

Do any of your municipalities have ordinances regulating or prohibiting keeping bees in the city/town?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We don't address bee-keeping specifically, but we do allow "animal husbandry" in our single-family residential zone (go figure) which I take to include keeping an apiary or apiaries.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Here in Michigan apiary activities are treated as an ag use (and consequently enjoy certain Right to Farm Act protections). Sorry, no helpful ordinance language available here, if that's what you're looking for.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    I should have expanded on my question. I was just wondering how common beekeeping ordinances are throughout Cyburbialand. I don't like the idea of an ordinance. There is a model ordinance out there that was developed by a beekeeping group. Florida is working on Best Management Practices that supposidly will protect beekeepers from lawsuits if followed.

Really, it just boils down to being a good neighbor. Put your hives where the bees will not impact the neighbors yards. Twenty feet from the property line is adequate. If you can't meet the 20' then a 6-foot screen (vegetation or solid fence/wall in front of the hive will cause them to fly up and well over the head of anyone in a neighboring yard. Etc.

Registered
    Aug 2008

beekeeping ordinance

In our town of 1200, beekeeping is allowed by permission of the Mayor.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Fringe - Do you know of any beekeepers that the Mayor has approved? Is there an appeal process if the Mayor says NO?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've only seen them allowed as an AG use. Then again, some nut had a kangaroo and a tiger as "pets", so....

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Beekeeping is typically a listed permitted use in agricultural zones and some large rural residential zones by local municipalities in our county.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've gotten four bee-related complaints just within the last week or so. What is up with that? It's been really dry around here lately and we haven't had much rain to speak of for about the last month - could the scarcity of water possibly be affecting the bees behavior? Drawing them out in search of water maybe?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Vary possibly they are looking for water. They need water to make some bee food, but mostly use it to air condition the hive really. they spred it on the hive walls and fan air through with their wings. Their very own "swamp cooler". I know it may be difficult for some people, but most bees are not agressive when foraging. They protect the hive, but in the field, if you leave them alone they will do the same. If one lands on you, just ignore it and it will eventually fly away. If that is not in the cards, just blow on her. She'll fly away. The best way to get stung is to swant at it!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses RV ordinance
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 19 Nov 2012, 9:37 AM
  2. Uses Beekeeping ordinance
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Nov 2011, 10:39 AM
  3. Uses Regulating beekeeping and bees
    Land Use and Zoning