Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Cyburbian Golf Thread.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear should fit all the requirements for being a regular golfer.....

Businessman/owner
    Baby boomer
    Competitive nature
    Son who "lives" for golf
    Step-son who "lives" for golf
    Wife who worked at a golf course
    Step-son who has worked for years at a golf course

All that being said, I have hit the little white ball (while walking or driving the fairways) only a few times. Spent most of my life playing basketball (two to three times per/week for years and years), doing that "work" thing, and looking for wives.

Toledo's Ottawa Park Golf Course is one of the links that I played. Rolling hills (unusual for flatland NW Ohio), lots of trees.....the first public course west of the eastern seaboard of the U.S.A. Years ago I played a course located between Toledo and Bowling Green.....Tanglewood. It is built around some small quarries, now filled with clean, clear water. One of my errant shots just about killed a fellow golfer.

My son and my step-son both have hole-in-ones on their "done it" list. My son's ace was at a suburban Toledo course (near bedroom suburb Waterville).....the kind of course that probably drives some urban planners crazy.....megahouses on cul-de-sacs, with fairways and greens in everybody's back yard. My step-son's ace was at a sandy and pine-tree-filled course south of Swanton.

Toledo's Inverness Club (swanky, baby!) has been the host course for a number of U.S. Open Championships and PGA Championships. A few years ago it hosted the U.S. Senior Open. But.....I am not a fan of watching golf. Katie and her son wandered over, had a great time talking with the famous seniors.

Katie and I bought new clubs two years ago. Seems like we always "planned" on getting out but never did.....other than going to the driving range. As spring looms closer, we are again vowing to hit the links.

Bear

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Hittin' the links tomorrow in Denver. Just a small, 9-hole public course on the landing pattern for Centennial Airport which is/was the busiest general aviation airport in the US/World. So the aviation buff is satisfied as well.

Still looking for my first PAR, but getting a good handle on my drivers. I also am looking for a hybrid club as I had a chance to use one last time out and really liked it.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Tee time Saturday morn @ 7:30 - first time I've had a chance to play since late April. Should be interesting.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    It is amazing at the amount of mental strength this game takes. I read a book I found on the B&N bargain shelf about the mental aspects of golf.

I have a good swing, I know the mechanics, it is all about keeping my mind focused and not letting negative thoughts get to me.

For some reason, I suck at the driving range, particularly if I am there to warm up for a round. Then, when I reach the first tee, I focus in on the game and hit better. Typically this is the opposite of most, but my next couple rounds will be focused on my mental state (something that I am constantly toiling with in real life) and seeing what I can do.

That and getting a par (maybe a bird!)

Ugh, just realized that playing in Denver this weekend will mean more people out on the course than we usually have up north. Despite my being born and raised in the Mile High City, the golfers around there are either: stuck up and toffeenosed, or loose and wild. My "brother" and I are about in the middle and it pains my to be paired with a group of elite golfers. Hopefully, they'll stick to the Country Club while us poor folks stick to the airport course.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    ....I have a good swing, I know the mechanics, it is all about keeping my mind focused and not letting negative thoughts get to me......
    That and muscle memory. Know what I mean? I have 7:00 tee time on Monday.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    That and muscle memory. Know what I mean? I have 7:00 tee time on Monday.
    Post a pic of your shark pants.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    With a whopping 55 scored for nine holes last Saturday, I realized I need to work on my short game and putting.

I drove well (straight and true).
    I hit well out of the sand (the two occasions I "beached" it)
    Even got on the green a couple times from the tee.

It's those damn 6 putts that kill you.

Still no pars scored. Should I work on that, or shaving my game to an overall score of under 50?

-Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Wow. I've played more golf in the last 4 weeks than I have in the last 4 years.

I got out to two beautiful courses over Memorial Day weekend. Sundance Golf Course in Buckeye, AZ is a desert style course with a lot of very rocky rough/hazard areas. I shot a 108. On Sunday, I followed it up with a 104 at Trilogy Golf Course in Peoria, AZ in Vistancia. Trilogy is considered much more difficult.

I've got to work on consistency. I can hit all my clubs well, my putting is a work in progress. My short game is decent, my irons are good, my woods or ok.

I expect in a couple more rounds I'll be playing a consistant 95.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    With a whopping 55 scored for nine holes last Saturday, I realized I need to work on my short game and putting.

I drove well (straight and true).
    I hit well out of the sand (the two occasions I "beached" it)
    Even got on the green a couple times from the tee.

It's those damn 6 putts that kill you.

Still no pars scored. Should I work on that, or shaving my game to an overall score of under 50?
    Drive for show - putt for dough!
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The mayor brought in a rescue/hybrid club for me today. Trading a 6 of beer for it.

Sweet.

-Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    A RUGGED version of golf - The Elfego Baca Shootout
    http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...rn=golf,167776

# of holes - 1
    elevation change - 2,550 feet downhill
    distance - 3 miles

Officially, each competator is allowed ten balls and they must be able to finish with at least one of them.
    Each competitor is equipped with a team of spotters,an offical score keeper, and a medical team for any emergencies.

We are very tolerant in my household and allow people in of any race, political persuasion, etc. However, none of us allowed to play golf. Given how time consuming it is, it would send us spinning out of control.

But I do like to read of others playing, sigh....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    87 today. 42 on the back nine. I was putting up a storm. I'm almost there--for the senior tour. I could make some money there.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Played in a corporate outing - captains choice - and shot a 12 under on Friday. Came in second to a 15 under. I thougt we had a chance to take it with that score. Its nice when you have three looks at the same putt before you have to hit yours.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I miss golf in the country. i could play 18 holes for $18.00 dollars in the best non resort golf course in Australia. For me to play on the same golf course in the city it would cost me over $120. I am one of those suckers for coastal migration

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Had a very nice father's day and went golfing with my buddy. I shot a 92. A couple weeks back I shot a 105 on the same course. I'm finding my stroke and think I could break 90 pretty soon.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think I've found the reason why I've been struggling with my game lately: I need new irons. Yes, that's it. I need new irons. It can't be the guy swinging the sticks.

My search begins.

Anybody want to buy a set of Wilson, Deep Reds, 3 through PW, stiff shafts? I'll make you a deal. I'll throw in that piece of crap 2 iron--before I throw it in a pond to join up with its partner the loft wedge that went into the pond last summer. (Never did get the wedge back--not that I care.)

EDIT: The 5 iron has a non-matching grip compared to the rest of the clubs. They're in very good condition. Seriously, let me know if anybody is interested.
    EDIT 2: Tell you what, I'll include the Wilson Deep Red 305cc driver. That POS. But it's a good looking club. Granite Fat Shaft.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 19 Jan 2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: grip description, driver, too
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I bought a nice ladies golf outfit this weekend. I figure if I'm going to take up golf I'd better look decent.

I need to find a local place to take some lessons.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I bought a nice ladies golf outfit this weekend. I figure if I'm going to take up golf I'd better look decent.
    "The golf course is the only place I can go dressed like a pimp and fit in perfectly. Anywhere else, lime-green pants and alligator shoes, I got a cop on my buns."

-Samuel L. Jackson

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I think I've found the reason why I've been struggling with my game lately: I need new irons. Yes, that's it. I need new irons. It can't be the guy swinging the sticks.
    It's always the arrows and never the indian!

One of the best things you can do is go to a local golf shop or pro shop and hit several different sets. Take your old clubs with you as well. TRY before you buy.

They reopened the course last weekend after being closed for 3 weeks due to extra cold weather. Number 16 is still closed due to its frozen green. Tried to shake off some of the rust in my swing, but it was nice to be out there again and the temp hit 60.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think I need to get my left hip replaced. It's been giving me some problems the last year or so (ZG thinks it's just the thrusting muscles). I've got a call into Jack Nicklaus to see who he used. Then I'm joining the senior tour. I'm almost there....after I get my new irons and new hip. Titanium for both, right?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I think I need to get my left hip replaced. It's been giving me some problems the last year or so (ZG thinks it's just the thrusting muscles). I've got a call into Jack Nicklaus to see who he used. Then I'm joining the senior tour. I'm almost there....after I get my new irons and new hip. Titanium for both, right?
    Don't forget that the object of one sport is less strokes and the other...NOT!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I've been playing for 30+ years. Dad took me around when I was 6 or 7, it seems. Can't get enough and my wife does not understand why. Best golf memories are playing Bandon Dunes with my dad and two brothers and playing and winning our flight with my brother in his club member/guest tournament in Florida.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Thursday 11:00 am
    28 Jan 2010

2 friends just texted me to let me know they were playing at noon today. B@$t@rd$
    Its going to be rotten weather this weekend too - UGH!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This morning, I ordered a set of Nike SlingShot Hybrid irons (steel, regular flex shafts). They should arrive before next weekend's round and at that price, I expect them to solve all my problems.

Senior Tour, here I come. I'm almost there.

EDIT: I just turned on the AT&T Pro Am from Pebble Beach. Weather looks great on the Central Coast.
    Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 23 Oct 2013, 2:30 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club