Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Live/work loft

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Live/work loft

Can anyone point me towards good examples of live/work lofts where commercial/retail/office space is located on the ground floor, and living space is on the second and third floors?

We have lots of examples of that here in my SOWA neighborhood in Boston. Check out Laconia Lofts, for starters.

the Laconia Lofts are exactly what I had in mind too. Is there a lot of retail on the bottom? I can't really remember, though there's a lot of retail in the area. I know an artist living there, great work space.

I was thinking of your post as I was walking by it today. There is continuous retail (and small offices like dentists) along the Washington Street side. On the Harrison Street side, there is but a gallery. I bet you could go to Google street view and check it out.

I think Harrison lofts has retail as well.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    There are a few communities here in metro-Detroit that have some live/work lofts but all of the ones that I can think of are extremely up-scale and this is something that I think would appeal more to the budding entrepreneur as opposed to those who already have a thriving successful business.

Anyway, here are a couple of the examples in my neighborhood:
    The District Lofts
    Eton Street Station

I have toured both of these developments and they both offer gorgeous products but I am particular to the Eton Street Station development. Once the economy in the area picks up again and these developments (which are right next to each other and next to an Amtrak station which is supposed to be getting a make-over soon) begin to get some more residents and a few more retail type businesses move in, this could be a very nice little neighborhood. Right now, there are only a few businesses in the "work" part of the lofts and they are generally design firms, saloons, and a couple photography studios.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Most traditional smaller city downtown areas were built like that. Building a store and including the owner's own family living quarters upstairs was pretty much 'SOP' in the pre-automobile days. There are still a lot of late 19th and early-mid 20th century buildings like that here in downtown Appleton.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I am not an expert, but it looks like you might find Brooklyn, NY's Gravesend neighborhood along King's Highway interesting. It has older structures with commercial space on the ground level and what appears to be living space above. In recent years, new condominiums are being built, which have commercial space on the first floor. It is an interesting contrast between the old look and the new.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 8:40 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:50 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 26 Jun 2007, 2:06 PM
  4. Replies: 45
    Last post: 11 Aug 2006, 3:24 PM
  5. Live-work Units
    Land Use and Zoning