Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RJ's Death Thread (no he's not dead....yet...)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We haven't made a will yet, but should do it soon with the 1 yr dude and the next dude premiering in October.

As for what to do with me when I'm dead - I don't care. I'm dead after all.
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    You all didn't know this about me - but I am immortal.
    Wait until I chop-off your head. Then we'll see whose immortal.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 2004

Union Perqs

Having been through a few family deaths & the drama & trauma that follows, I offer the following advice...

Hey! For all you government workers out there--- If you're in a union, there's probably a legal aid group associated with the union. Basic stuff, easy wills, POAs, living wills at an easy price. Gets the whole preplanning business out of the way so you can go on with LIVING for yourself and your family. We spend 75% of our time worrying about things we have no control over. This is part of the 25% that you can take some action, cross it off your list, and move on, for pete's sake!!

If you want to beat out the whole probate thing, see if you can do a revocable living trust in your state. You decide who gets what & when. No courts, no inheritance tax, no problem!

For all those with aging parents possibly headed to the nursing home, transfer the house into your name but giving Mom & Dad life tenancy. That way Mom doesn't have to sell the house to pay for Dad's care.

Hope this helps somebody. I wound up paying big bucks for what seems like common sense (especially the trust bit). Lawyers don't like trusts because they don't make money off of them in the long run.
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    For those of you planning cremation, be sure to select the urn (or style of urn) you prefer and be sure it is included in the purchase price. Trust me on this. Trust me.
    No urn for us. My dad was planted in a garden at their church, in a surprisingly small cardboard box.

Quote Originally posted by Mtn Woman
    Lawyers don't like trusts because they don't make money off of them in the long run.
    Luckily, my dad was a lawyer and set up a couple trusts before he retired.

Quote Originally posted by JNA
    I can see RJ going out with a big bang.
    I can see it, too, but not the way you're thinking of.

Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Sounds good to me.... so when are you going to knock him off?
    sigh....

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Has anyone else noticed that there haven't been any deaths reported since RJ began his involuntary hiatus from the group? We miss you buddy, either the world is getting over-populated or we're going to have a huge press release from you in a few days.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Thoughts On Ashes, RJ, & Bozo

Browsing the posts, it is my Independence Day duty to reply.....

Concerning the placement of RJ's urn, filled with his ashes.....he doesn't have to be dead to sit and watch this Bear SCORE on the basketball court. He might as well get comfy......lawn chair, urn, hot tub, whatever.....

(Ya getting this, Panhandle J? Taking notes, so you can respond after you have served your time? )

Concerning the ofos comment about the lack of deaths during RJs time out.....there was a quite-appropriate death.....Bozo the clown.

Concerning this Bear's eventual demise.....I have already told Katie to scatter my ashes in the Upper Peninsula, on the beach of Lake Superior. Best beach would be AuTrain.

Bear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN4832_autrainbayboat_e.jpg  
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Concerning the ofos comment about the lack of deaths during RJs time out.....there was a quite-appropriate death.....Bozo the clown.

Concerning this Bear's eventual demise.....I have already told Katie to scatter my ashes in the Upper Peninsula, on the beach of Lake Superior. Best beach would be AuTrain.

Bear
    Saw the Bozo demise notice right after I posted above but thought "Damn, maybe it's not RJ pulling the string, might be JNA."

Good choice of a beach but I'd appreciate it if you wait till I've passed on. That's my swimming beach and I'd rather not be thinking about swimming Bear A$$ed.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004

Reef in peace

Here in florida you can pay to have your ashes put in a concrete thing that looks like a wholly (not holy) gum drop and dropped into the Gulf of Mexico to become a reef. That's what I want..."Reef in Peace"
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste View post
    Here in florida you can pay to have your ashes put in a concrete thing that looks like a wholly (not holy) gum drop and dropped into the Gulf of Mexico to become a reef. That's what I want..."Reef in Peace"
    Here is what she is describing - Eternal Reefs http://www.eternalreefs.com/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I put our beloved hund down (cancer) at 3:00 a.m. last night. At that hour the only place open is the animal emergency hospital and they usually charge a premium for everything. They wanted $100 to euthanize her and $400 to cremate and return her remains in a special box. I have no idea if that is comparatively expensive or not, but at 3 am I wasn't in much of a position or mood to haggle (although I confess that scene with John Goodman in the Big Lebowski went through my mind.... "just put the ashes in this coffee can, dammit!"). It also bugged me more than a little as they were insistent on getting all the forms signed and payment processed before putting her to sleep. Meanwhile she's in agony (I suppose the alternative to badger you to sign all the forms and whatnot after she's dead isn't much better, either)

For future reference I suppose it does make sense to plan for these sorts of things ahead of time, but i'm not sure what one could do differently in such a situation.
    Maister, so sorry for your loss. I recently put my 14 year old hound to sleep and it is very hard to do. Best not to think about what you paid, but I would tell everyone you know to avoid that place. What they did is is really wrong. I live in a very expensive area.... and what you paid should have been less. I think if anyone has a pet, you should find out about putting a dog to sleep before you need to, just like you need to make plans for people.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Bump...

Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Has anyone else noticed that there haven't been any deaths reported since RJ began his involuntary hiatus from the group? We miss you buddy, either the world is getting over-populated or we're going to have a huge press release from you in a few days.
    Just trying to remember why I was on involuntary hiatus. Anyway, I've returned...if you hadn't noticed.

(Don't you just love bumping one of those old threads listed at the bottom?)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 8:18 AM
  2. Dead Horse Thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 30 May 2009, 10:50 PM
  3. 2006 Death Pool Update Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 212