Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Name on a Ballot

Registered
    Feb 2000

Name on a Ballot

My name was recently published has having filed for a local position (Precinct Committeeman) in a political party. Rather than sitting around and complaining, I'm resolved to help get this ship's course corrected.

How many of you have had your name placed on a ballot?

www.campaignforliberty.com
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I ran for Helena Citizens Council (a citizen advisory group to the city commission). Finished in the middle of the pack and didn't get elected. Got a lot more votes than I expected. In retrospect, I should have sent in a few letters to the editor asking for people's support.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Was on a ballot about 12 years ago when I ran as a precinct delegate for a political party. I won the election but shortly thereafter lost many cherished illusions.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Seeing that I'm fresh to the area, I am not in position to put my name on a ballot.

I expect that in the coming years I'll get more involved.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My name is 'Burb Fixer, and I am a precinct delegate for a political party.

I got pissed enough at my HOA that I am now vice president of it.

When I was 18, I was going to make a run for school board. Indications were that I might do well in the election. However, heading off to college out of district prevented me from running.

I worked two local government and one state senate campaign while in college.

It has crossed my mind on several occassions to run for the county commission.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I've been a precinct committeeman while at college (I vote where my school address is), but I've always been appointed...never had my name on the ballot. I'm unsure if I will be a precinct committeman when I'm done with school and working as a planner. Isn't that sort of a conflict of interest, with respect to the public administration/politics dichotomy? But what the hell...it's Illinois we're talking about here.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Isn't that sort of a conflict of interest, with respect to the public administration/politics dichotomy? But what the hell...it's Illinois we're talking about here.
    Our City Commission elections are non-partisan and at-large. According to your personnel regs, you can not run for a position that would directly conflict with your job duties (ie., I can't run for City Commission or County Commission). However, a committeeman doesn't deal with City politics, at least not around here.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here I read the thread name and thought you were talking about dumb ballot names. As opposed to legal names. Like we have some dumb ass "Hoot" Crawford running for office. Like that's his given name. This panhandle stuff is alarming at times.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Ballot box
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Oct 2009, 9:49 AM
  2. New Florida Ballot Preview
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Oct 2004, 2:54 PM
  3. APA election: secret ballot?
    Friday Afternoon Club