Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Surprise! You're a Grandmother! and other shocking stories

Registered
    Aug 2004

Surprise! You're a Grandmother! and other shocking stories

Yeah, it's a shocker. This is what happened to my sister over the holiday weekend!

My niece, who is 20 and in the army, didn't tell anyone in the family that she was pregnant. Last time we all saw her was Thanksgiving, when she would have been about 3-4 months along (baby was born in May, but no one knows if it was early, or on time). No one noticed, and she may have dressed to hide it (not enough info yet to know). So here it is July, and she finally said something.

And here's why she spoke up: my niece's unit is heading out to Iraq next month. So my sister not only found out she is a grandmother over the weekend, but she also had do decide if she would take care of the baby while my niece is away. Wow. That's a lot to take in!

Anyone else have some real shockers to tell??
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Congratulations, you have finally rendered all Cybs speechless. I honestly cannot think of a single issue that's "surprised" me like that.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Mrs. ofos and I were pretty surprised when we found out that my oldest son and his girlfriend were actually married. They had decided not to tell their families because they thought it was better to punish everyone by letting us assume that they were just living together. Sure showed us. You can guess how long that marriage lasted.

Doesn't even come close to Salmissra's instant grandparent story but it's the best I can do.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Congratulations, you have finally rendered all Cybs speechless. I honestly cannot think of a single issue that's "surprised" me like that.
    I agree with ZG.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Yeah, it's a shocker. This is what happened to my sister over the holiday weekend!

My niece, who is 20 and in the army, didn't tell anyone in the family that she was pregnant. Last time we all saw her was Thanksgiving, when she would have been about 3-4 months along (baby was born in May, but no one knows if it was early, or on time). No one noticed, and she may have dressed to hide it (not enough info yet to know). So here it is July, and she finally said something.

And here's why she spoke up: my niece's unit is heading out to Iraq next month. So my sister not only found out she is a grandmother over the weekend, but she also had do decide if she would take care of the baby while my niece is away. Wow. That's a lot to take in!

Anyone else have some real shockers to tell??
    Such is the life of a BRAT.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    That's pretty shockeriffic if you ask me. The only thing that comes close for me is being served divorce papers the day after my mother's funeral. The ex was even at home with me when the sheriff served the papers.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

My wife and I eloped, so my mother kind of got a "I'd like you to meet my wife" shocker. She was cool with it, although I think she missed us not having a traditional wedding (which is exactly why we eloped...).
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Feb 2013, 12:15 PM
  2. No Surprise, Really
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Dec 2003, 1:54 PM
  3. Replies: 15