Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Relocation package

Registered
    Jan 2005

Relocation package

Is it common for planning firms to offer relocation packages? What about really small (~25 PPL) firms?
    Last edited by kaleidopop; 08 Jul 2008 at 8:06 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kaleidopop View post
    So, I got an offer from a very small planning company, one that I have really, really wanted to work with. The offer is good, and they also included a performance-based bonus scheme.

However, there is no relocation package (and I am considering a coastal move). My friends, who usually work for larger finance-based companies, find it strange that there is no relocation package.

What do you think? Should I counter-offer for a relocation package? Or just go with it? The starting salary is good enough for me at the moment, and I am positive that I will perform in a way that I get raises as well. I am satisfied overall, though I wonder if I should bother requesting some relocation $.

I'm new at negotiating, please help. Also, I've never had to relocate. I have enough saved up that I can relocate easily, and then just make up for it with my salary when the job starts. Being a young planner, and coming from a non-profit background and working for small companies, I have no vantage point of how relocation packages work.
    Congratulations. I would counter by saying that you're very pleased by the offer and are strongly interested in the job, but you will need to pay for a costly move to the new location. I would just be honest and ask for a package and have a figure in your head. When I got an offer at a consulting firm, I used the same tactic (though I didn't need to move, but I wanted more money) and I ended up getting a one-time signing bonus.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Moderator note:
    thread moved to the Career Advice Subforum

Within the planning profession, and especially at the entry-level, relocation packages would be pretty rare. No harm in asking, but I don't think I would approach it in the form of a counter-offer, just an inquiry.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    There is no harm in asking. But careful how hard you play. They may be willing to do something but times are tough for most firms.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Many firms are struggling with the bad economy, especially smaller ones. IMO, you would have to be a stellar planner or the firm would have enough money to pay for your moving expenses. I would agree: just inquire about the relocation expenses. A counter-offer would be a more effective tactic if you had a competing offer. Staying put might work as a tactic if you are in high demad and you have a good reputation across the region/industry.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    When I hired my entry-level person, the offer included a lump sum of $ for relocation costs upon successful clearance of his 6 month probation period - the amount was a calculation of mileage from where he moved from, including tolls - I don't think this is an unreasonable request...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    When I hired my entry-level person, the offer included a lump sum of $ for relocation costs upon successful clearance of his 6 month probation period - the amount was a calculation of mileage from where he moved from, including tolls - I don't think this is an unreasonable request...
    Why didn't I apply for that job???

every time i've mentioned relocation package the municipality has chuckled politely and said, "No".
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I have never paid for relocation of an employee, but I am in the public sector working for a very conservative jurisdiction.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Check around for moving prices and discuss this "with a not to exceed dollar amount"
    It usually best to get this in your contract.
    In talking to others over the years and my own experience, is that if one goes on their own dime, there is no respect, Also in talking to others and my own experience has been, when I paid for the moving expense the job didn't last very long.
    Professionals should be willing to discuss this with you, non professionals are looking for the bottom line and do not care about your qualifications.
    Friends have gone to work for firms as small as ten people and have been paid relocation expenses, bigger firms will usually assist with the sale of your current home.
    Wish you the best of luck, it is not an easy decision to make.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most of my jobs have offered some compensation for relocation. My first job (private sector, Illinois) offered to pay the cost of a rental truck. Two jobs in Wisconsin (non-profit and government) each provided some reimbursement. I think this was $200 and $800. When I moved to Colorado (government) I received a particularly nice relocation package, up to $15,000 for movers to do the work. My return to Wisconsin (private sector) was accompanied by reimbursement of $1,500 of my costs.

I don't think it really matters where you are moving, who you are working for, or what level your position may be. If you are moving for the job, your new employer should help defray the cost. It is part of the package you are being offered. If it is not there, ask for it. If it is not provided, that is part of you consideration in whether or not to accept the job.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I did not receive relocation expenses when I moved to Florida.
    If I recall correctly, I was able to take some or all of the expenses off my Federal income tax. But that was 4 years ago. Things may have changed.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Every time i've mentioned relocation package the municipality has chuckled politely and said, "No".
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    I have never paid for relocation of an employee, but I am in the public sector working for a very conservative jurisdiction.
    The best I've gotten in the public sector is 5 days of unpaid leave to help move the household after I started.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 11 Oct 2012, 7:45 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 May 2009, 1:34 PM
  3. Stimulus package and planning jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 27 Jan 2009, 4:26 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Mar 2008, 12:02 PM