Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The good driving record requirement

The good driving record requirement

I am looking at going to grad school for planning and have been browsing Planner job postings for city governments. I noticed that most explicitly require a valid DL and a good driving record. While this makes sense with need to drive government owned vehicles, I wanted to know if anyone could elaborate on the requirement. Specifically I have a DWI from 5 years ago but have a valid license now. Am I automatically disqualified or do they have some hiring discretion? Also, do private consulting firms have the same requirements? Thanks for any insight.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    The reason most planning positions in the public sector ask for a good driving record is b/c in order to drive a public vehicle you will need to be eligible to be insured under the municipality's insurance policy. If you are able to be insured now, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It shouldn't be an automatic disqualification, just make sure you do disclose it on your application if required to. You will have a chance to explain it on your application.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Depends on the jurisdiction. Each jurisdiction has its own rules and procedures for hiring. I worked for one jurisdiction where a DUI was not allowed within 5 years of employment and one that had a 7 years of employment rule.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm curious about the "[State] driver's license required" requirements I've seen accompany so many job listings. Is that intended to limit the pool of applicants to those in-state?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I'm curious about the "[State] driver's license required" requirements I've seen accompany so many job listings. Is that intended to limit the pool of applicants to those in-state?
    I think that has to do with performing background checks. Most of the HR policies I've seen say [state] driver's license required or ability to receive license prior to employment.

RE: the DWI. Disclose it on the application. The longest I've ever seen a Texas city care, as far as driving record goes, is five years. THough a bit subjective, I know our city has dropped it to two years for cases where it was probably college immaturity, but with restrictions on use of city vehicles.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries
    Both times I've moved out of state, my employer didn't really care that my drivers license was issued out of state.....at least not for the first couple of months.....never mind that it is a state law in most places that you get a local license if you are "living" there. I'm sure that places with employees living in the next state over don't mind where the license was issued.

Its much more likely that a community has a residency requirement that leads to local drivers licences.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    we just say "valid driver's license" - this is likely to prevent DWI while on the job (or to be able to let someone go if they get a DWI while on the job) so if it does not say anything about a record, then you're good - otherwise, disclose it and note that it was a long time ago -

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Gosh, Dan, you aren't paranoia-ing yourself out of anything here, are you?

Didja apply for that cushy real estate job in-house at the wireless carrier yet? The one in Cleveland?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I think that has to do with performing background checks. Most of the HR policies I've seen say [state] driver's license required or ability to receive license prior to employment.
    HR performs the background checks and attaches it to the application.
    I was allowed 3-4 weeks to obtain my Florida driver's license after the start of employment. Gave them a photocopy when I received it. (I have a squeaky clean record, BTW.)
    Annoyingly insensitive

Thanks for the info. Even though every HR dept varies its good to hear some firsthand knowledge on the process. Especially before I get too pumped up about going to grad school and a career transition!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. 45 record nostalgia
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 03 Jun 2012, 12:00 AM
  2. Your Permanent Record
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 Feb 2011, 11:26 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 18 Jan 2011, 2:55 PM