Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planner award ceremony for AG74683

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011

Planner award ceremony for AG74683

I earned my Communist card today! I also got the whole "this department is useless!" claim. Good day I think.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I earned my Communist card today! I also got the whole "this department is useless!" claim. Good day I think.
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

Congratulations! Earning one's Communist card is an important day in the career of every planner. We'll have the usual ceremony and contribute a few words here.

Ah yes, I remember well the day I earned my Communist card. In fact I earned my Communist card a good year before I was awarded the Nazi card. I know what you're thinking - usually one earns their Nazi card first, right? I guess I never seem to do things in the right order. But in any event, well done, AG!

As far as meritorious unit citations go UD's (Useless Department ribbon) are nice to get. It shows that everyone in the office is really rowing on the same oar (not to brag, but our office's UD has oak leaf clusters for its multiple distinctions!).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I haven't yet earned my communist or Nazi card probably because don't work with the public too much. But my goal is to someday be awarded them simultaneously for the same action.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I earned my communist card during my first month working in NC. It was an interesting time in the foothills way back in 1986.

It was just 4 or 5 short years ago, the Nazi Card & Facist Card (along with another communist card renewal) was reached on the same day from the same person. I was proud that day of achieving the dubious honor of the Planners Trifecta - being similar to hitting for the cycle in baseball.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I haven't yet earned my communist or Nazi card probably because don't work with the public too much. But my goal is to someday be awarded them simultaneously for the same action.
    I've been close to my Nazi card many times, but until I moved to Kansas and spread my wings as director I wasn't good enough. Now I've earned what WSU dreams of, the combined Nazi, communist card from one resident in one gloriously rambling statement against zoning codes. Soon after I earned that increasingly popular Agenda 21 card. For all those aspiring planners I recommend taking on a code update or code enforcement to earn the cards a little faster. It seems smaller towns and counties award them more often.

I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I've been close to my Nazi card many times, but until I moved to Kansas and spread my wings as director I wasn't good enough. Now I've earned what WSU dreams of, the combined Nazi, communist card from one resident in one gloriously rambling statement against zoning codes. Soon after I earned that increasingly popular Agenda 21 card. For all those aspiring planners I recommend taking on a code update or code enforcement to earn the cards a little faster. It seems smaller towns and counties award them more often.

AND you have an Agenda 21 card? Wow, even I don't have one of those. I heard a nasty rumor, though, that they pretty much pass them out like candy to planners working in rural areas and all you have to do to earn it is just show up to work and you're bound to get one in a couple of weeks. Hardly seems fair.... Although in fairness I guess it's probably a lot easier to pick up a Think of the Children medal here in suburbia than it is in your neck (red though it may be) of the woods.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Congrats on the acheivement! Be sure to get you Social Engineering certification as soon as you can.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    AND you have an Agenda 21 card? Wow, even I don't have one of those. I heard a nasty rumor, though, that they pretty much pass them out like candy to planners working in rural areas and all you have to do to earn it is just show up to work and you're bound to get one in a couple of weeks. Hardly seems fair.... Although in fairness I guess it's probably a lot easier to pick up a Think of the Children medal here in suburbia than it is in your neck (red though it may be) of the woods.
    True, I'm sure AG has his Agenda 21 card. It's all about location. It didn't take long to get the Think about the Children card in my last suburb and it's never been brought up here. I'm more likely to get a Think about the Cows card (I swear I've been close).

Personally, I like to wear a red tie to meetings to remind them of my communist leanings. Mine even has a devil on it (Sundevil).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Welcome to the party! Your decoder ring is in the mail. I joined when a former Planning Commission chairperson called me Hitler and the Antichrist in the same sentence when they spoke at a public hearing. The PC did the opposite of what she wanted.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ha

Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Congrats on the acheivement! Be sure to get you Social Engineering certification as soon as you can.
    I got that card in graduate school for taking SOCIAL PLANNING
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I got the Agenda 21 card a couple of months ago. My commie and nazi cards were delivered years ago.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

Congratulations! Earning one's Communist card is an important day in the career of every planner. We'll have the usual ceremony and contribute a few words here.

Ah yes, I remember well the day I earned my Communist card. In fact I earned my Communist card a good year before I was awarded the Nazi card. I know what you're thinking - usually one earns their Nazi card first, right? I guess I never seem to do things in the right order. But in any event, well done, AG!

As I recall I got called both in one rant. I stood thinking that the two were mutually exclusive,
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Well today my second monitor is displaying all of the adjustment text in German. Is that some sort of sign?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Well today my second monitor is displaying all of the adjustment text in German. Is that some sort of sign?
    Your Nazi card must be coming soon!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Birthday AG74683
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 Jan 2015, 2:51 PM
  2. Welcome to teh Clube, AG74683!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 03 Nov 2014, 10:07 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Aug 2007, 3:04 PM