Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Food Trucks, are they worth it?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Food Trucks, are they worth it?

Food trucks seem to be all the rage. We see them show up at events, and even have regular food trucks parked outside microbreweries because here in NC, a brewery can't serve food? But I digress...

What are your thoughts on food trucks. Do you think it is an awesome way to get food or do you think it is overpriced and overhyped? Do you have favorites? What was the last food truck that you bought food from?

Personally, I think it is a mixed bag. I love good tacro and mexican food trucks (yes, I like taco trucks), but there are some others that I am not impressed with. Part of it has to do with the portability of the food and how it is prepared. Additionally, there are times where is remindes me of glorified fair food.

What are your thoughts?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mixed bag.

Our building manager arranges for food truck and vendors who sell food in the lobby. Otherwise, our choices are limited. Theyíre pricey, but offer variety that the tired old sandwich shops nearby donít offer.

I passed on a vendorís lunch and learn pizza and opted for poutine from a food truck.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Depends on the food truck. I've had some of the best tacos from food trucks or some stir fry stuff, but the one across the street I just avoid.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Generally its a mixed bag like almost any restaurant. The last one I ate from was at the New Belgium Liquid Center (their tap room) and it was excellent and had a couple different takes on some dishes.

There will be 7 food trucks at the festival this weekend, one will have lobster rolls so...I'll let you know.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    There will be 7 food trucks at the festival this weekend, one will have lobster rolls so...I'll let you know.
    If it came from the one that I just had... go with the shrimp or lobster tacos. The rolls were disappointing.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

I've got very mixed feelings about them. We don't have many here, so they aren't an option. I worked with the Health Department early in my career, so I'm always kind of leery about those types of things.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm mostly opposed to them. They don't provide restrooms or disabled parking.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I enjoy them but have found the quality and prices can vary a lot. When I visit friends in DC there are a ton of food trucks in areas like Dupont Circle and Chicago has some spots like that in The Loop as well and there is a ton of variety, they generally have decent quality, and the prices are competitive. Food trucks here in the Detroit area are still a relatively new phenomenon (not counting the old, very generic roach coaches that used to show up in factory parking lots during shift changes and lunches) and I've noticed that as they've slowly become more prevalent, the prices have come down but you can often find that the same truck will raise or lower their prices on the fly depending on the location they are setting up in or how many other trucks are around.

One thing I like about the food trucks is when a popular local restaurant sets one up and it gives me a chance to sample their food and maybe entice me into coming to their bricks and mortar location which I probably wouldn't do otherwise.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

How many of y'all have watch The Great Food Truck Road Race on the Food Channel? Grated it's fake reality TV, but it's fun to watch.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We had the Irish Pub food truck parked next to the beer garden I was manning - what luck. Their selection was great.
    The festival only ran for about 3 hours because the rain started falling, but I understand the food truck with lobster rolls ran out (& I didn't get one).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Food trucks
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Apr 2017, 2:42 PM
  2. Zoning Food Trucks - resources?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Oct 2014, 12:07 PM
  3. Uses Food trucks
    Land Use and Zoning