Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tell Me Something Good

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Tell Me Something Good

Between Vegas and Tom Petty, things have been crappy the past few days. The events in vegas are tragic, but so are the political responses on both sides. Tom Petty was an icon in the music world and he had significant impacts on all types of performers.

So, in an effort to at least sway away from the negativity of the past few days, use this to post something awesome. Tell Cyburbia something good. Did your kids do something good that you want to brag about? Did your significant other surprise you with breakfast in bed or an unexpected gift? Please share in awesome stuff!
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    A fresh pot of coffee & a pumpkin muffin - YUM

sometimes I really get on a roll doing my volunteer editing as a member of the USGS National Map Corps.

3 weeks since my oral surgery - healing nicely & pray that the bone graft takes.

You should come visit my fair city for our fall festival - Monday through Saturday - eating & people watching.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Sadly not much super exciting. My wife's friend stopped by on her trip from St Louis to Denver.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    We're making low country boil for lunch today. It's already cooking in the roaster. I can't wait until lunch!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    My wife's friend stopped by on her trip from St Louis to Denver.
    Add some more info here, and we have the makings of a social column from a small town newspaper. "Mr. and Mrs. dvdneal hosted Mrs. dvdneal's friend, Mrs. Valerie Schmalerie, of St. Louis, as she travels from St. Louis to Denver. Mrs. dvdneal hosted a tea party with with her Wednesday lunch and garden club, and all enjoyed meeting Mrs. Schmalerie. Mrs. Schmalerie continued by train to Denver on Friday."

I went to the opening of a new bike trail on Saturday. I was feeling pretty anonymous until the woman who was instrumental in funding and planning this trail, as well the big trail, sat with me, and rode along the trail with me. My name and picture made the paper, and I'm in the video of the first riders hitting the trail. I'm in the phone book now!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Looks like a landscape crew is getting started on construction of the new green space across the street from my house this morning. Woot!
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    New employee benefit/perk - for 1 month access to the Columbia Sportswear employee store - that is sweet. - I will buy a new winter jacket.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    We're making low country boil for lunch today. It's already cooking in the roaster. I can't wait until lunch!!!
    That sounds great! I've been wanting to make that for a while now but it seems like so much for just my wife and I and two little kids who would barely touch it.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I got a really good deal on a 1932-D Washington quarter last Friday.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    A friend of mine received an offer for a position with The Town Next Door! Yeah! He is an awesome planner and a great person, and his family is just so dang cute! - so this is a sign of good things come to those who deserve them.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    Can you do one of these in a crockpot?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Add some more info here, and we have the makings of a social column from a small town newspaper. "Mr. and Mrs. dvdneal hosted Mrs. dvdneal's friend, Mrs. Valerie Schmalerie, of St. Louis, as she travels from St. Louis to Denver. Mrs. dvdneal hosted a tea party with with her Wednesday lunch and garden club, and all enjoyed meeting Mrs. Schmalerie. Mrs. Schmalerie continued by train to Denver on Friday."

I went to the opening of a new bike trail on Saturday. I was feeling pretty anonymous until the woman who was instrumental in funding and planning this trail, as well the big trail, sat with me, and rode along the trail with me. My name and picture made the paper, and I'm in the video of the first riders hitting the trail. I'm in the phone book now!
    Ms. Dvd hosted a dinner and wine soiree for Ms. Schmalerie of St. Louis on her journey from St. Louis to Denver. Mr. Dvd was otherwise occupied with a town hall meeting regarding new regulations for cellular technology. Although Mr. Dvd missed the exquisite dinner he was able to enjoy the fabulous cake while assisting with the construction of newly acquired furniture. Ms. Schmalerie continued on by Fiat to her destination, but may grace the Dvd home with her presence during her return journey.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    At last weeks conference I was talking with the planners in a town where I applied and was in the last 2 for consideration before I withdrew my name from consideration. I have determined I dodged a bullet from hearing a couple stories from those planners and talking to a friend who is a planner in the town next to them. Clearly it was a good decision on my part.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Wife bought me a solar powered watch for our anniversary this past weekend. I got her diamond earrings and matching necklace. Despite now being broke, she still looks awesome in them.

My middle son did so well in school yesterday that the teacher actually called me to tell me about how terrific he is doing.

I get to go to lunch right now.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Did anyone immediately start singing this in their head when they saw the title to this thread?

I got nothing good, though my work plan for next year with the state (one of my funding sources) just got tentatively approved, phew!
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

I won a state planning award for being an over achiever.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I will be starting a new job in the coming weeks. The pay will be higher, the commute will be a little shorter, and I'm pretty sure the stress will be lower
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I received a handwritten note from the PD yesterday, recognizing my public outreach work on my sea level rise / coastal resiliency project. "There is lots of opportunity for controversy and you are handling it very professionally."

Also my parents are now officially moved to the state-next-door (Arizona) so I'm planning a trip over the holidays.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Did anyone immediately start singing this in their head when they saw the title to this thread?

I got nothing good, though my work plan for next year with the state (one of my funding sources) just got tentatively approved, phew!
    I was going to post “Tell me that you like it.”, but it has too much potential to go wrong.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    ....and I'm pretty sure the stress will be lower
    Huzzah!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    I will be starting a new job in the coming weeks. The pay will be higher, the commute will be a little shorter, and I'm pretty sure the stress will be lower
    Congrats! That's actual good news. Unlike the rest of us who are just phoning it in.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I gave the gift of life today: I donated blood.

My youngest son notified me today that is wife is pregnant with their second child. My third grandchild.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I gave the gift of life today: I donated blood.

My youngest son notified me today that is wife is pregnant with their second child. My third grandchild.
    Thanks for donating blood! I always get turned away, so I always appreciate that other people do it. And congrats on the great news!!!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post

Not the lyrics, the voice box guitar riff. We are so alike.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Feb 2016, 5:10 PM
  2. It's bad to be good at?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 21 Mar 2013, 7:09 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Mar 2009, 1:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Aug 2003, 12:03 PM