Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Snapshot 4/14/15

Registered
    Feb 2004

Snapshot 4/14/15

What do you consider the most exotic locale you've ever set foot in?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'll go with Tunisia, but you can throw in Bulgaria, Romania, Georgia, Albania, and basically anything the touches the Mediterranean Sea. Climbing the Rock of Gibraltar was another fun one. The military gets you into some interesting places.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Like DVDNeal I've made it to Tunisia (got to go on a tour and see where some of the Star Wars stuff was filmed while my friends were busy playing army guy out in the desert) and I've been all over Europe and Asia (is "The Orient" still okay to say because that's where I was). I'd pick King's Landing in Westeros and Qarth in Essos Dubrovink, Croatia - such a gorgeous and historic city. Heck, it's even a UNESCO World Heritage Site! The entire Dalmatian Coast in Croatia just blew away my expectations in terms of beauty and history.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Wake Island
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Like DVDNeal I've made it to Tunisia (got to go on a tour and see where some of the Star Wars stuff was filmed while my friends were busy playing army guy out in the desert) and I've been all over Europe and Asia (is "The Orient" still okay to say because that's where I was). I'd pick King's Landing in Westeros and Qarth in Essos Dubrovink, Croatia - such a gorgeous and historic city. Heck, it's even a UNESCO World Heritage Site! The entire Dalmatian Coast in Croatia just blew away my expectations in terms of beauty and history.
    I'm jealous, I didn't get any cool tours. We stayed in Tunis, saw the market and hung out at the embassy drinking with the Marines. Still cool, but not Star Wars cool. My super cool old city would have to be Istanbul or is it Constantinople? We were anchored in the straights and saw everything pass by. You even get to hear the prayers broadcast over the city. Plus all the great Ottoman architecture and minarets. Best shopping and haggling anywhere. Anyway, really cool city.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Tucan, Equador.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Yugoslavia in 1972. Still very communist - found a microphone taped to the back of the mirror in the hotel room.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Exotic natural area: Interior of Southwestern Belize.

Exotic city: Suzhou, China... such incredible history, architecture, canals, gardens... and the wildest meat & vegetable market I've ever seen.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

This sounds pretty lame, but Old Quebec City. I was there during the separatist elections. A beautiful old world city during a very in testing time.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    The island of Saint Martin. The wife and I went their on our honeymoon and had a great time. We explored both sides of the island.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmm.....

Archers Post, Kenya
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Have to go with Tunisia - spent a summer digging there. While it was before the Star Wars sets, the ancient Roman sites were otherworldly.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Montigo Bay, Jamaica.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Yala National Park in Kirinda, Sri Lanka. Wild elephants live there.

Sigiriya was a close second. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigiriya
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Gee, I'm not sure I've been anywhere considered exotic. I've been to about 35 states and several European provinces, but nothing I would describe as exotic.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    The island of Saint Martin. The wife and I went their on our honeymoon and had a great time. We explored both sides of the island.
    Did you enjoy the torpedo testing? Oh wait, that was St. Croix.

I guess I've never been any place exotic.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Yeah I guess the most exotic place I've been is Paris.

Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    Yeah I guess the most exotic place I've been is Paris.
    The one in Kentucky or Ohio?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Haha actually neither of those, Paris Hotel in Vegas, baby!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Snapshot 4/13/15
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Apr 2015, 5:25 PM
  2. Snapshot 10/7/14
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 07 Oct 2014, 1:27 PM
  3. Snapshot 9/16/14
    Friday Afternoon Club