Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    Are you saying I don't know how to take care of my cat?!?! I actually didn't know that but I'll keep it in mind for the future. She ended up feeling better after about 36 hours and is back to normal, so we're good.
    Glad to hear she is better!

Actually until Loki got sick I didn't know kitties could make themselves anorexic. I always thought, "kitties will eat when they're hungry." I learned that one the hard way.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sukros was exceptionally sweet this morning. Since Luke has arrived and claimed me I have not been able to spend as much "alone time" with my little girl. With Mrs. Cardinal traveling she has been spending the night in bed with me. This morning she crawled over beside me and stretched her nearly five feet (tip of nose to tail) with her back to me. She tucked her head under my chin as I rubbed her tummy and whispered her nicknames: "baby girl", "princess", and "sweetheart". All the while her big bushy tail thumped against the mattress. She is 65 pounds of husky/collie. I say by volume it is all hair, and by weight, pure love.

Luke is turning out to be a very clever little dog. Among other things, he has learned how to open sliding doors like the ones on our closets and the patio door. He has figured out doorknobs and has tried, but can't get a grip on them.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    SNIP SNIP...She tucked her head under my chin as I rubbed her tummy and whispered her nicknames: "baby girl", "princess", and "sweetheart". All the while her big bushy tail thumped against the mattress. She is 65 pounds of husky/collie. I say by volume it is all hair, and by weight, pure love. SNIP SNIP...
    Dog lovers understand this. You said it very well.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Fitzgerald a/k/a Fitzy is my son's 7-year old domestic long hair cat. The last couple of days we could tell he was not himself: lethargic, off-balance, and he had a wheezing cough. Mrs. G and the kids took him to the vet last night and X-Rays revealed he apparently swallowed something that's stuck in his stomach. His heart and lungs are enlarged and he's a tiny bit anemic. He made it through the night at the vet's last night and is now drinking and sitting up, but he's still off-balance and his respiration is labored. They are going to keep him through the day and call us to update tonight.

Seems like he's through the darkest part of the woods but not yet completely out. He's used up several lives before this, so I hope he's got a little left: he's a sweet cat.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Fitzgerald a/k/a Fitzy is my son's 7-year old domestic long hair cat. The last couple of days we could tell he was not himself: lethargic, off-balance, and he had a wheezing cough. Mrs. G and the kids took him to the vet last night and X-Rays revealed he apparently swallowed something that's stuck in his stomach. His heart and lungs are enlarged and he's a tiny bit anemic. He made it through the night at the vet's last night and is now drinking and sitting up, but he's still off-balance and his respiration is labored. They are going to keep him through the day and call us to update tonight.

Seems like he's through the darkest part of the woods but not yet completely out. He's used up several lives before this, so I hope he's got a little left: he's a sweet cat.
    Wow, that's rough. I'm guessing no surgery at this point - are they thinking that whatever he swallowed will eventually wear down, and then go out? Depends on what it is, I guess, but it sounds scary.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005

Poor kitty. My thoughts are with him for a swift and complete recovery.

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Wow, that's rough. I'm guessing no surgery at this point - are they thinking that whatever he swallowed will eventually wear down, and then go out? Depends on what it is, I guess, but it sounds scary.
    They think it's some sort of bone, but the X-Ray wasn't conclusive as to what kind exactly. He does go outside, so we think it's something he came across there, since we're pretty careful in the house about bones being disposed properly. They do think over time the stomach acids will wear it down and it will go out. But, he'll have to be on heart medicines the rest of his life.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Poor kitty. My thoughts are with him for a swift and complete recovery.
    Thanks, dandy and Sal.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Chewy, the cat, was seeming a little listless lately, and Suzy, the dog, nneded her rabies shot. So we took them to the vet on Monday. Bottom line: we are worming both of them tonight. I am not happy.

Fitzy has used up all his lives.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    How sad. My thoughts are with your family as you deal with this depressing blow.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Chewy, the cat, was seeming a little listless lately, and Suzy, the dog, nneded her rabies shot. So we took them to the vet on Monday. Bottom line: we are worming both of them tonight. I am not happy.
    The last two trips to the vet for the ZPups have been at least $300 each. Went in to get a refill of ear medcine, BOOM! 4 types of new meds plus a revisit in 2 weeks.

Me thinks that the Vet has bills to pay or something...

Fireworks season has been tough for our younger dog. Finally I allowed her up on the couch with me to calm down. This tough dog was shaking really bad.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Ooh. I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    So sorry!

Thank you dandy_warhol, Salmissra, and Veloise.

Fitzy would sit at a door -- any door -- and meow to be let onto the other side of it. He could be rather persistent if he didn't get his way. I think he came to a new door and he just HAD to go through. Godspeed, buddy!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    So sorry to hear about your loss
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2002
    My condolences to you & your family, Gedunker.

Both of my cats are in their teens. I worry about them sometimes... but I try to enjoy every moment we have (even the annoying ones ).

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Sorry to hear that 'dunker. Losing a beloved pet is always tough.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

RIP Supercat 1999 -2010

Just to add insult to injury...

My dad's beloved Supercat started out with me. I found him in a "free kitty" ad on UseNet in early 2000. At the time, Kitto was an "only," and I wanted her to have a buddy.

This big teenaged fellow was too friendly and lovable for her. She wanted to sleep on the heat ducts and be left alone, and he wanted to snuggle and play.

So I took him over to the widower's house. Ma died in October, and by November I had found a pass-along cat from a friend. That one turned out to be aloof, and I thought perhaps Mr Kitty would be a better fit.

Yep. The visitor immediately got on dad's lap and made himself at home. At first he protested, "I can't have two cats." When I was leaving about an hour later, he said, "I'll keep this one," with the big tuxedo still glued to his lap.

Dad named him Supercat because he was so wonderful. He followed dad around, greeted him at the back door (my mother never did that), jumped on his lap (ditto), sat on the dining table for meals and genealogy sessions. And he's famous: mentioned in the book Annie's Ghosts.

He digs around in the mountain of paper that resides on his kitchen table, temporarily displacing Supercat, a long-haired feline who regards the pile as his personal habitat.

Dad sometimes said that he didn't think anyone else could provide as good a home for SC as his, and when he died, he wanted SC to go with him.

As mentioned in the Aging Parents thread, SC went missing during the EMT visits. Upon his return he moved to sis-the-doc's house, where they took him to see a vet who pronounced him healthy and "very nice," though overweight. (Not a Jabba the Hut Garfield, but well-padded.)

Yesterday after I got the call about dad, I spent several hours preparing things (Caring Bridge, obit revision, family notifications) and then drove to Lansing to fetch him home. It appears that my father had other ideas. My cats checked him out, he wandered around a bit, then laid down with obvious respiratory issues. (There's nothing in my car or house that could have caused this.)

We went to the 24/7 ER vet, and the oxygen tank didn't help.

My spiritual view: dad got settled in with mama, and then opened up the rainbow bridge.

So for this weekend's services, we'll have a rented casket (cremation planned), the box with Ma's ashes that's been riding around in the back of dad's car for ten years, and a smaller box of SC's ashes.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Ahhh Pets

Striker the Dog decided he likes the taste of wiring this weekend. He got under my truck and chewed out the wiring to the tail-lights (brakes & turn signals), license plate lights and tow light pigtail. Total damage $350 - It would have been less, but they had to replace the light sockets for the license plate lights and he chewed past the main harness connector. He has no interest in his chew toys. Thee is not happy this morning.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Luke (aka "Little Big Dog") and I are road tripping. We've covered a little over 2000 miles in three days. The poor guy gets a bit carsick, but he is holding up nicely. From here on, though, there will be more hiking and swimming in mountain streams.

Registered
    May 2005
    Is it weird if I love dogs in general, but can't stand owning one? I enjoy playing with dogs, running with dogs, training a dog from a pup, etc., but find the negatives of dog ownership far outweigh the positives. I can't be the only one like this.

And yes, I do own a dog. And he drives me crazy.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Is it weird if I love dogs in general, but can't stand owning one? I enjoy playing with dogs, running with dogs, training a dog from a pup, etc., but find the negatives of dog ownership far outweigh the positives. I can't be the only one like this.

Not really. Although I am more of a cat person than a dog person I like them just fine. I know that I would not be a good dog owner which is why I don't have one. I like to travel, am gone from home for long hours, and live in a smallish apartment. So I just play with my friends' doggies when I visit them.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

Makes perfect sense. Kinda like being a grandparent where you get to take the kids to the movie and afterwards take them to the ice cream parlour and get 'em all jacked up on a sugar buzz....then drop them off at mom & dad's and not have to deal with it!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Took my dogs to the vet for their annual exam. My little girl has a heart murmur. When the vet took an xray - mainly to check for heart enlargement - we discovered that she also has a gallstone. The stone is small, and so far she's exhibited no adverse effects of either the murmur or the stone. But she's also old (12+), so no surgery. She's basically an old, lazy, a bit overweight Italian Greyhound that has lived a great life, so hubby and I are just going to watch for symptoms. Once any symptoms appear, we will start medication - but still not surgery.

Our boy dog is fine. He's also old, but we don't know his age exactly. He hasn't started treating her any differently, so I'd say he doesn't think she's sick. And that's a good sign.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Took my dogs to the vet for their annual exam. My little girl has a heart murmur. When the vet took an xray - mainly to check for heart enlargement - we discovered that she also has a gallstone. The stone is small, and so far she's exhibited no adverse effects of either the murmur or the stone. But she's also old (12+), so no surgery. She's basically an old, lazy, a bit overweight Italian Greyhound that has lived a great life, so hubby and I are just going to watch for symptoms. Once any symptoms appear, we will start medication - but still not surgery.

Our boy dog is fine. He's also old, but we don't know his age exactly. He hasn't started treating her any differently, so I'd say he doesn't think she's sick. And that's a good sign.
    You are lucky to have caught it. We lost Roscoe to a heart problem this past January. I hope all goes well.

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM