Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    "All who wander are not lost." JRR Tolkein.

My son's cat T-Joe went AWOL Saturday during a nasty cold spell. We hoped he had wandered into someone's garage and got trapped inside - he is the proverbial cat whose curiosity might kill him. Toward late Sunday we were a lot more worried, given he had been gone more than 24 hours in near-zero temperatures.

My son was pretty upset. Despite the cat's serious character faults, he is loved and loves my son back

I went home for lunch and there was T-Joe. He was fine but hungry. He smells like a dog, Did he sleep in some dog's bed? Did this cat we affectionately call the Honey Bastard" actually make friends with a dog in order to share body heat? Or, did he kill a neighborhood dog and spend the night inside of its skin, like Luke Skywalker did inside that snowbeast? We will never know I guess.

He is home. My son is happy. Our other cat is not so happy. She was enjoying not living under the T-Joe regime.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    He smells like a dog, Did he sleep in some dog's bed? Did this cat we affectionately call the Honey Bastard" actually make friends with a dog in order to share body heat? Or, did he kill a neighborhood dog and spend the night inside of its skin, like Luke Skywalker did inside that snowbeast? We will never know I guess.
    Sounds like he got himself a little puppy.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I help feed the strays that live under my building. One of them, RT has named Baby Garfield, has trained the humans well. If I am slow in filling up the food bowl in the morning he jumps up on the AC unit and peeks in through the blinds to see if someone is sitting on the couch and will stare at you til you bring the food out. He's the friendliest of all the kitties but still won't let me pet him.

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    What a cutie, kj! Reminds me of when I was doing a college internship at a not-for-profit housing organization... there was a three-legged neighborhood cat that the staff members would invite inside and feed. Our office was on Stanley Avenue, so they called the cat Stanley. For a three-legged cat, Stanley got around quite well.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    What a cutie, kj! Reminds me of when I was doing a college internship at a not-for-profit housing organization... there was a three-legged neighborhood cat that the staff members would invite inside and feed. Our office was on Stanley Avenue, so they called the cat Stanley. For a three-legged cat, Stanley got around quite well.
    There are 4 of us that feed the 6 or 7 that live under the building, we've been able to catch a few and have them fixed and released them. They are a pretty healthy bunch and some are friendlier than others.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2009

For those of us with 2+ dogs

If you have 2 or more dogs, do you always take all of them with you when you go hiking? to the beach? wherever?

There is a hike on Sunday with a local Great Dane owner's club and I'm debating whether or not I should bring the Rotty. She is a wonderful dog, smart, loving, and intelligent - when it comes to humans, but as she is getting older (she is 9 now) she is getting a bit too crabby with other dogs. They lick her face - she growls and gets snippy. Plus she has started showing more aggressive dominance behavior and needs constant reminding of her place in the pack. She is extremely alpha and needs a very firm hand. Once, about two years ago, my brother in law was dog sitting her and she bit his puppy. Not cool. We've never seen her act aggressive to the point of biting, but we provide very firm leadership with her and my bro-in-law use to spoil her rotten.

She could really use the exercise but I just don't want to bring her. I want to make friends with other giant breed dog owners and I'm worried that if I bring Ms. Alpha Crabby Butt she will prevent us from having as good a time.

I feel really bad for even thinking this though, much less for following through on it. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? One nice dog, one slightly evil one? What did you do?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What if you took Crabby Pants on a walk/outing first by herself and then took Stinky Pants to the outing? That way they both get exercise but you can enjoy yourselves without feeling anxious about Crabby Pants' behavior with the other doggies.

We have two large dogs - one lab, one rottie mix. They are like jekyl and hyde. At home the lab is super sweet and "the good one" as soon as we get out in public he's barking (happily) at everyone and turns into the handful. The rottie is "the naughty one" at home but as soon as you get her in public she's the sweetest thing and obeys and sits nicely for pets from strangers.

However, if we try to take them on a hike together they pull, bark, disobey, and are general nuisances. Which means that we don't often take them on hikes because they are bad. It becomes a vicious cycle.

One some occasions I have taken the rottie out without the lab. The rottie was fine with it, I assume the lab was ok staying at home.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    If you have 2 or more dogs, do you always take all of them with you when you go hiking? to the beach? wherever?
    I feel really bad for even thinking this though, much less for following through on it. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? One nice dog, one slightly evil one? What did you do?
    I would take just the one dog. Dandy has a good idea about each dog getting their own outing, so they don't feel left out. You will be tired, but the dogs will be happy, and that's all that really matters, right?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

We have two large dogs - one lab, one rottie mix. They are like jekyl and hyde. At home the lab is super sweet and "the good one" as soon as we get out in public he's barking (happily) at everyone and turns into the handful. The rottie is "the naughty one" at home but as soon as you get her in public she's the sweetest thing and obeys and sits nicely for pets from strangers.
    Our dogs do the jekyl and hide thing too. Crabby Pants is excellent at the beach. It is like the world stops existing for her and she just plays happily in the water for hours and hours, while Mr Stinky wants to claim his towel and bark at everything that goes by. Mr Stinky is excellent at parks and everywhere else, while Crabby Pants is very well behaved but feels the need to assert her dominance over other dogs before she can be their friend. They are both excellent on trails and off leash trained verbally and by hand signal, but I'm nervous because of Crabby Pants' resent behavior.

I think you ladies are correct. We'll take Crabby to the beach to get her exercise in and then Stinky can meet some other Great Danes - which will be interesting, he is use to being the largest dog in the room, at the park, and on the street.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sukros and Roscoe were only a year apart, so the age issue did not creep up too much. Roscoe still had more endurance and walked faster as Sukros developed leg problems. She does not get along with other dogs, so we always let Roscoe do the meeting while we held her back. Since we lost Roscoe we have now let Luke fill that role. He does wonderfully. Once when a German shephard came charging at him he just held his ground and sat down when it got a step or two away. The confused dog ran past, then came back more curious than aggressive.

Sukros is 12 and Luke is a little over one year old. He has a lot more energy. It is like a teenager and a grandparent. I take him for a walk every day but she mostly stays home. Even before she slowed down it was difficult to walk her if her mother was not with. She is very attached, and does not want to leave the house if mom is not around. I know what you mean, though, about feeling bad. She really does want to go for a walk.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Anyone in, around, or within reasonable distance to St. Louis, MO that is interested in adopting a 1 year old Mastiff/Boxer mix, male, brindle, named Bones, please let me know. He was rescued and the person who was watching after him no longer can. He is destined for the pound tomorrow. A picture is available upon request.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    The remaining cat in our household is not doing well. She was diagnosed with cancer about 6 weeks ago, and there is nothing we can do. She has a lump on the side of her neck/head that has grown in size, and I'm sure it is causing her discomfort, although she does allow us to touch it. My husband wonders if the lump is starting to press on her throat, as she makes these odd little noises when she eats. It's heartbreaking........

I wish she could tell me whether she's in pain. I don't want her to suffer, but I also don't want to let her go before her "time," whatever that is.

Sorry to hear about the kitty MP. I had to deal with something similar last summer as our 22-yo kitty was suffering kidney failure and deciding "when" is so, so hard. Best wishes to you and kitty.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2009
    So sorry to hear that Mud Princess! It is just heart breaking when our furry family members get sick!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Oh, MP. So sorry to hear your kitty is not doing well. How sad and so soon after your other kitty. My thoughts are with you all.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Thanks, everyone.

This morning we took our cat to the vet's office and said our goodbyes. She had been holed up in the back of a closet for two days, not eating or drinking. She was clearly in pain. It was time.

The vet said that the tumor had indeed affected her mouth and throat. We'll miss our baby terribly, but we know we did the right thing.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    *sniffle* {MP}

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Condolences. Much harder for us to let go than for them to leave.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Very sorry to hear your news MP.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Thanks, everyone.

This morning we took our cat to the vet's office and said our goodbyes. She had been holed up in the back of a closet for two days, not eating or drinking. She was clearly in pain. It was time.

The vet said that the tumor had indeed affected her mouth and throat. We'll miss our baby terribly, but we know we did the right thing.
    So sorry about your loss.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2004
    sorry for your loss, MP.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No long after Roscoe passed away I had a very vivid dream of him. He was in a lush green field. There were rolling hills and clumps of trees for shade. The sun was out and he was running around with the smile he got when he was really happy. I was on the other side of a fence and knew I could not get to him, but he came over, looking at me and wagging his tail, telling me that he was alright and happy. It is a vision that still comforts me. I'd like to think your cat is somewhere similar, laying out in the warm sunlight or playing with its favorite toys.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    So sorry to hear of your loss MP
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004

More.....

My kid wants a fire-bellied toad.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Has anyone else noticed that whenever you are wearing black pants, cats feel an uncontrollable urge to weave in and out of your legs and rub their hairy bodies all over you?

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread