Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    One cool exercise machine that my brother has at his practice is a hydrotherapy pool. Its modeled on those used for horse rehabilitation. Its a small plexiglass box that a dog can step into. It has a little pump that creates a current the dog can swim against. They use it to help in the healing of broken legs and the like. The first time I saw it, I walked into the back room of the clinic and there was this lab in there paddling away with the biggest grin on his face. All I could think was "man, we gotta get one of those for the house!" So cool. And the clear plexi not only helps you see their body (in assessing the healing process) but its terribly entertaining! Put it in front of the couch and grab a beer...

I guess its really the doggie version of the "endless pool." No, I don't think you could get one at home for your dog, but who knows? Its fun to imagine.
    Our lab would love that!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Poor Luke (aka "Little Dog") is laying in the hallway against the door to the bedroom, moaning. His mom had surgery today and is lying in bed. Our 12-year old "Baby Girl" is calm and will simply lie by her mom's side all day long, but he is a bit too active to have in there, jumping on her. Still, he knows she is hurting and wants to get to her.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My son's cat T-Joe is my early morning nemesis. Nearly every morning, as I am pulling out of the driveway and the garage door is sliding down, T-Joe dashes under the door, causing the garage door to stop closing and open again. Then I have to close it again. Today was his personal best. His timing was impeccable.

Then after work he becomes my evening nemesis. When I come home, he walks in front of my car, with his tail up, so I have to follow him slowly into the garage.

He is doing it on purpose. I know it. He's toying with me. That cat has an utterly perverse sense of humor.

I like him all the better for it.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Dropped off our sweet B&W kitty at the vet's this morning for surgery. She is having all or most of her teeth removed due to chronic stomatitis.

I am trying not to be a nervous wreck...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Between dogs and cats which do you suppose does a better job in soliciting (erm, demanding) your attention?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've never like pets and could never understand why anyone would want to live with an animal.

But . . . after seeing how much my daughter loved even the little sand crabs at the beach we decided to get a kitty. Daisy is 4 months old and she's a wonderful little girl. She sleeps in our bed every night (which I couldn't have imagined a few months ago). After having her for a month I don't know how we lived without her.

I'm even finding myself thinking about dogs. I've always hated dogs but know I've been thinking that it would be great to have a pet that could play outside and go for walks. I still can't get over the idea of picking poop off the ground every day. I don't think I'd have time to really take good care of it.

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    My son's cat T-Joe is my early morning nemesis. Nearly every morning, as I am pulling out of the driveway and the garage door is sliding down, T-Joe dashes under the door, causing the garage door to stop closing and open again. Then I have to close it again. Today was his personal best. His timing was impeccable.

Then after work he becomes my evening nemesis. When I come home, he walks in front of my car, with his tail up, so I have to follow him slowly into the garage.

He is doing it on purpose. I know it. He's toying with me. That cat has an utterly perverse sense of humor.

I like him all the better for it.
    Damn right he's toying with you. Cats are smart and they figure out our routines pretty quickly. Chester, our overweight tuxedo cat, follows me into the bathroom each morning and if I don't pet him he will wait till I'm out of the shower and at the sink brushing/shaving and he will lightly bite the bottom of my calves to get my attention. Works pretty damn well.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    I've never like pets and could never understand why anyone would want to live with an animal.

But . . . after seeing how much my daughter loved even the little sand crabs at the beach we decided to get a kitty. Daisy is 4 months old and she's a wonderful little girl. She sleeps in our bed every night (which I couldn't have imagined a few months ago). After having her for a month I don't know how we lived without her.

I'm even finding myself thinking about dogs. I've always hated dogs but know I've been thinking that it would be great to have a pet that could play outside and go for walks. I still can't get over the idea of picking poop off the ground every day. I don't think I'd have time to really take good care of it.
    My wife felt the same way you did/do about dogs. She grew up with cats and never really thought much of them. When we bought a house I insisted on a dog. Now she is a complete dog person. She still loves the cat but when Holden (our 14lbs orange and white fur ball) crosses rainbow bridge she has stated that she wants at least one other dog and will forgo another cat. They are a great addition to the family. If you can handle a cat then you can handle a dog.

As for poop I pick it up once a week. We have a small yard and a weekly poop patrol is all that is required. If I let it go for a few weeks it gets a little ripe, especially in the summer. I would rather pick up dog poop than clean a cat box. Cats are foul creatures...I don't know how they can generate that much stink from such a little body.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Nov 2006

I have both (3 cats, the "witch sisters") and a dog. If I move to the country, I may add another dog to the family.

The thing about dogs is that if you get one, you will have the perfect excuse to walk it ... around the neighborhood, at the nearby park, at a not-so-nearby park, etc. If you become a regular dog walker, you'll likely shed some pounds (and definitely some stress), and eventually run into some like-minded dog walkers who may become some of your best friends. Like running, dog walking becomes almost an addiction, especially if you walk your dog at a dog park or a park where other dog walkers gather.

I started walking my dogs about 30 years when I lived in Buffalo near Delaware Park (where a fraternity of dog walkers has been active for at least that long and is still going strong), and one of my dog walking friends from those days is still one of my friends! Some of my best friends here in Jamestown, I met walking my dog either around my neighborhood or at the local park. When I was between dogs recently, I found myself going up to the local park just to walk with the dog walkers, which is why I ended up getting another dog within a few months of losing my old one.

BTW, if you don't think you're up to dealing with a puppy, consider an adult dog from a shelter or rescue. You can even get a purebred from a breed rescue. All of these organizations work very hard to match dogs and families because they want the dogs to have "forever homes". Dogs from private rescues, especially breed rescues, have generally been "fostered" in private homes so they tend to be house-broken, trained to walk on a lead, well socialized with other dogs, with children, with visitors, sometimes with cats, etc. Sometimes dogs from shelters have not been quite so carefully screened, but it depends upon the shelter.

Don't worry about a rescue dog bonding, either. All my dogs have been adults or near adult rescues, and they bond just fine, and this has been true of all of the many rescued dogs my friends have as well. In fact, they may bond better than dogs raised from puppies because they know when they have it good.

Dogs are definitely good for your soul, too. When you watch a bunch of dogs playing together, you can't help but smile. When it seems like everything is going wrong or is totally crazy at work and/or home, taking the pup for nice long walk in the woods makes the crap that's going on bearable, and when you're sad or lonely or miserable, your dog is always there to let you know that it doesn't matter if nobody else loves you, because he or she thinks you are almost as good as a marrowbone biscuit.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Dropped off our sweet B&W kitty at the vet's this morning for surgery. She is having all or most of her teeth removed due to chronic stomatitis.

Poor kitty-cakes. How did she do?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999

Having a fenced-in yard for a dog takes care of some of the "walking" issues. I'd come home way late at nite after public hearings and could just let our dog out in the fenced-in yard to run for a bit. It can work out. And there are long-armed picky-up poop scoopers you can get for the dog poop.

I'm just kinda thinking u need to reflect on it a bit if you really think you "hate" dogs because they are way different from cats, you have be to home regularly to deal with them, they're not so easily house-trained, and they can be much more needy, depending on the breed. Show a cat a litter box, they're set. Get a puppy: you've got months of walking them every hour, crating them while you're at work, etc.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Poor kitty-cakes. How did she do?
    Thank you for asking. Everything went fine. And she still has a few of her teeth left. Kitty had no problem eating her breakfast this morning.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Thank you for asking. Everything went fine. And she still has a few of her teeth left. Kitty had no problem eating her breakfast this morning.
    My Blanchie (R.I.P.) had that. She was somehow able to still eat kitty bitties, and I'd provide her with an assortment of wet food, soft treats, other enticements. We also got on a cycle of laser therapy, and the vet office related that she did not struggle, probably because it afforded relief. Each time, we'd get back to the kitchen and she'd immediately eat a lot.

and now I have to go cry

Registered
    Aug 2001
    [brag about my dog]

A couple nights ago I made a ham. Luke sat by me watching as we ate, and then started his routine. He places his head on arm rest and looks into my eyes. "Hmm-mm."
    "What do you want, Luke? Show me." He turned and trotted off to the kitchen to the counter where the rest of the carved ham was sitting, and looked up at it with his tail wagging.

This afternoon I came home from the store with a rotisserie chicken, which I placed on the counter. Luke followed me into the hallway while I hung my jacket. "I picked up a rotisserie chicken! Luke, where is the rotisserie chicken?" He ran off into the kitchen, put his front paws on the counter, and sat his nose in front of the chicken.

Apparently he has also added mailbox to his vocabulary. I asked if he wanted to check the mail. He jumped down off of me, went to the door, and then walked down to the mailbox to wait for me.

[/brag about my dog]

Linda, you are right about rescues. We have been helped out by an organization called Raising Aid for Dogs at Risk (RADAR). They are not a rescue themselves, but raise money and work to help dogs get into rescue organizations. Here is a link to one of their current rescues that seems as if she would be an incredibly loving member of any family. http://www.raisingaidfordogsatrisk.org/juniper
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Thanks for all the doggie advice. There won't be one in my immediate future (especially since even my kids don't want one) but maybe someday.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    My Blanchie (R.I.P.) had that. She was somehow able to still eat kitty bitties, and I'd provide her with an assortment of wet food, soft treats, other enticements. We also got on a cycle of laser therapy, and the vet office related that she did not struggle, probably because it afforded relief. Each time, we'd get back to the kitchen and she'd immediately eat a lot.

and now I have to go cry
    Laser therapy??

The vet called me this morning to see how my cat is doing. Five stars for this vet hospital - that's so nice.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Laser therapy??

The vet called me this morning to see how my cat is doing. Five stars for this vet hospital - that's so nice.
    Companion Laser

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Laser therapy??

We get Christmas cards, condolence cards, follow-up calls from the vets, greeted by first name at the clinic. You gotta know we've spent a lot of $$$$ there.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2009

Mr. Big Pants has chronic stomatitis too and is going to have a few teeth pulled early next year. Glad to hear your kitty is doing well. I'm nervous about it too. He was a stray that we took in and though he loves and trusts us, he isn't very comfortable around other humanoids. Once he is spooked, he will hide for quite some time.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    You ever hurt a dog's feelings? Sure, you say. Question: have you ever known a dog to stay mad for any length of time?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    You ever hurt a dog's feelings? Sure, you say. Question: have you ever known a dog to stay mad for any length of time?
    Dogs live in the present and don't harbor anger.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I get such a kick out of my dog. He just bravely attacked the vacuum. Yet last night he needed reassurance about the thunder he was hearing.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Dogs live in the present and don't harbor anger.
    Toss your dog in the car trunk; toss your SO in the trunk. After ten minutes, are the results different?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Having a fenced-in yard for a dog takes care of some of the "walking" issues. I'd come home way late at nite after public hearings and could just let our dog out in the fenced-in yard to run for a bit. It can work out. And there are long-armed picky-up poop scoopers you can get for the dog poop..
    In the yard I use the child's sand rake and shovel. Much cheaper than the "made for dogs pooper scooper".

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Toss your dog in the car trunk; toss your SO in the trunk. After ten minutes, are the results different?
    You'd miss your dog.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44