Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    **- Our neighbor, who loves animals, picked up a stray cat one day and brought it home. Being dog people normally they took to their first cat easily, but noticed it was getting fat. Well, yes, she had 4 kittens. Our neighbor will only get rid of them to people close by, one went next door to us and the other three (plus mom) now have free reign of the neighborhood, thus S***ing in my yard, torturing my dogs (I think this is why she is digging) and creating a thrid-world country like element round my parts. But she just can't get rid of them...
    Flaming bags of cat poop come to mind....
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Those cats were good at keeping the grasshoppers out of the front gardens.

When i pick up some landmines today to put along the fence to prevent Houdini from digging, I'll get some cats sized one for the front yard....

hmmm... better take some money out of savings...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our baby girl discovered that it is not a good idea to pick up things they don't know.

The other evening we let the dogs out into the back yard. Both, led by our husky/collie mix, headed for the orange tree at the edge of the patio. It was too dark for us to see, but we instantly heard her start to cough as she turned and headed back to the door. She continued to cough, shake her head, and foam at the mouth. I went to investigate....

Did you ever pick up a frog or toad when you were a kid? They are harmless, but remember what they did? Yes, as I figure it, she picked up the frog in her mouth, and it must have peed.

Lesson learned. A bowl of fresh water, a hot dog, and some cheese helped to make her feel better.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

I'm going to KILL this dog....

Oh, and with Houdini's fence climbing exploits thwarted for the time being, she has taken to digging. Sometimes I wonder why we got a second dog, when the first was perfect.
    Still not climbing the fence, but fought through my chicken wire solution to the hole she dug last week.
    We walked 2 miles this morning, after I ate lunch, we went to the park for ball toss.
    As soon as I sit down in my desk at work, my nieghbor calls to say she brought my dog home and she dug out on the north side of the yard, separating the dirt from the chicken wire and pulling the chicken wire up.

Both dogs are locked in the house for the afternoon and we'll be getting some massive electrical wire this weekend (because I had nothing else to spend my money on...or do... ).

Short of landmines or cutting a front leg off, I am running out of ideas. I couldn't even look at it when I was home.

I'm not a lazy dog owner.
    The dog gets exercise, walks and attention every day.
    She is well fed.
    I rescued her from the shelter and gave her the attention and discipline she so sorely needed and didn't get for the first 6 years of life.
    I don't leave her outside all day.
    I don't chain her up.
    ...and this is the thanks I get.

Our other dog is great, no complaints at all. Why is the other one f**ed up? Why did I agree to get another dog?

I'm losing it! Zman's getting upset!!!

And with that, I am done venting.... and still love both dogs.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Interesting article and club website
    USA Today Headline: Mongrel owners, unite!
    New Mutt-i-grees Club raising awareness, respect for the mystery breeds

Article:
    http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...utts27.art.htm

Club:
    http://muttigrees.org/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    *snip*
    I'm not a lazy dog owner.
    The dog gets exercise, walks and attention every day.
    She is well fed.
    I rescued her from the shelter and gave her the attention and discipline she so sorely needed and didn't get for the first 6 years of life.
    I don't leave her outside all day.
    I don't chain her up.
    ...and this is the thanks I get.
    Our other dog is great, no complaints at all. Why is the other one f**ed up? Why did I agree to get another dog?
    I'm losing it! Zman's getting upset!!!
    And with that, I am done venting.... and still love both dogs.
    You are making me seriously question us getting a second dog. We're going to get him from Foster Mommy on Sunday. Our current girl will not be happy, but I think this is the right dog at the right time. But your story really makes me worry . . .

And if your story happens to us, then I will never hear the end of it from my husband!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    You are making me seriously question us getting a second dog. We're going to get him from Foster Mommy on Sunday. Our current girl will not be happy, but I think this is the right dog at the right time. But your story really makes me worry . . .

And if your story happens to us, then I will never hear the end of it from my husband!!
    Sorry, I was just venting. I think I have just been spoiled rotten by our first dog. Kaslo (Houdini) is just a handful at times, but honestly I love both dogs and they do great together.

Get another dog and don't listen to me at all! It'll be good, I promise you.

-Peart

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Here is a picture of our new puppy Zooey....she is mostly Black and Tan Coon Hound. I forgot how much work it takes to rear a puppy....rearing a hound is a special treat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zooey IV.JPG  
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a cairn terrier. She is insane.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I agree with the hound comment, hounds are...special in soooooo many ways (many of them not so good lol)

I have two furry boys and they are like true brothers, fuss then snuggle up, they are the best thing in the world for each other. You won't regret getting a second dog
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Kaslo did great at the vet yesterday and the car ride went well too. Kaia (our choco) was a little jealous but she got over it.

Our "friend" who does dog fences charges $1,000 for the work. NUTS to that!

There is a giant piece of flagstone buried under and over chicken wire, dog $h!t, 1" gravel, wet sand, clay mud, landscpe fabric, and cedar mulch. Hopefully that'll hold, but I rode my bike into work again today in case I have to cruise the neighborhood.

-Peart

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    I agree with the hound comment, hounds are...special in soooooo many ways (many of them not so good lol)

I have two furry boys and they are like true brothers, fuss then snuggle up, they are the best thing in the world for each other. You won't regret getting a second dog
    We have talked about getting her an adult friend to hang out with....I was worried about the cat and the extra work a second dog would be...are both of yours hounds?

Mrs. 'toon found her on top of the dining room table...I did not push in the chair when I left for work.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We picked up our second dog today. Pictures will be forthcoming!

First afternoon was interesting, to say the least. He cried - a lot - in the crate in the car on the way home. I was prepared for that - his foster mommy said he did that every time, but would settle down after a couple of miles. And he did, but I could hear him shivering.
    Brought him into the house in his crate. Old and new dog sniffed each other through the door. Then she stopped. Then she came back for more sniffing. We did that 3 times before letting him out of the crate. From there we went straight to the backdoor and into the yard.
    He loves the yard! He can roam around, plenty of places to take care of business (and boy, did he!) and lots of sniffing opportunities. He pees every time we take him out. I wonder if that's because he's still nervous, or just because he's male.
    Tonight will be a test. Will he settle down to sleep? Will he sleep in his crate, or on the dog bed? Will he sleep through the night? If he wakes up, what will he do? I'm thinking we won't get a good night's sleep tonight! Good thing tomorrow's a holiday!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2005
    We are getting a Rough Collie in a couple of weeks time (they are 5 weeks old now). Everyone is pretty excited about it, although im not sure how the cats will take having a puppy around.

The hardest thing is working out a name for the puppy (will be a girl). I have decided it has to be pretty, yet a somewhat noble name- im terribly with picking names!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    We are getting a Rough Collie in a couple of weeks time (they are 5 weeks old now). Everyone is pretty excited about it, although im not sure how the cats will take having a puppy around.

The hardest thing is working out a name for the puppy (will be a girl). I have decided it has to be pretty, yet a somewhat noble name- im terribly with picking names!
    We went to the library and got a book of Baby names for our first dog, Kaia. When we got Houdini-er, I mean Kaslo, we named her after one of our favorite vacation spots, Kaslo, BC

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2002
    One of mine is a beagle aka dumb as a door jamb the other is a cocker maybe springer mix...he is wayyyyy too smart and VERY moody.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails da~boyz.jpg  
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post

I'm offering up Colleen as a name possibility. Don't know if there's anything noble about it but it's a fine Scot name for a young lassie.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2002
    For the last two nights our dog's behavior has been really irritating. Last night, I woke up at around 1:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep right away, so I went into another room with one of the cats while my dog and husband continued to snore. After I came back to bed, though, the dog just would not settle down. Instead of sleeping at the foot of the bed, she kept lying next to one of us, usually with her butt in someone's face, and kicking her feet... and then she'd get up to reposition herself, only to go through the whole routine again.

My husband let her out several times, but she didn't seem to have a need to do any 'business,' - she would just stand there in the dark. She kept coming back inside and then returning to her restless behavior. Needless to say, no one slept well. Anyone else have doggy restlessness problems over the last few nights? It was a full moon, although I don't know if that accounts for this.

I have to get up at the crack of dawn to travel tomorrow, so I hope I can sleep through the night.

zmanPLAN, you haven't posted to this thread for weeks! Is your latest strategy to contain your Houdini dog working out?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Reading this thread makes me happy I don't have a pet.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Warning, MIGHTY long.

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    zmanPLAN, you haven't posted to this thread for weeks! Is your latest strategy to contain your Houdini dog working out?
    Funny you should ask about me today...

My wife returns from Chicago today so I spent the beginning of the lunch hour putting up the dishes, wiping the counters, sweeping and vacuuming. After that, I took both dogs to the park where Houdini could run after the tennis ball while our older dog sniffed around and followed me at my heels (such a good dog ). I got home and was moving the car into the garage when I notice the mailman coming so I thought: "I'll go check the mail". When I got back inside I noticed I had one dog only (the way things are going, I was kind of happy). Houdini climbed the fence again, this time is a different spot (without the afforementioned lattice work).

So I drove around and found her at the corner of the block, soaking wet. My only thing was that she decided to play in the neighbor's running sprinkler herself, since I wouldn't let her do this on her walk.

So that is what has been going on.

One Thing That is Getting to ME

Every morning I wake up and feed the girls. Our old dog chomps down like she hasn't eaten in years while Houdini stands there looking at me until I say: "Eat". So while the dogs dine on monring slop, I make coffee, get the paper, etc. After eating, the dogs usually lie down for a spell. As soon as I get up from breakfast, Houdini automatically thinks that it is time for a walk and immediately starts running around the house, jumping in place, running to the front door, etc. She also does a frustrated bark sometimes that scratches your soul and punches you in the gut. This, of course, gets the other dog excited and they end of feeding off of eachother until an all out frenzy develops.
    You know how dog trainers really train people? I show no emotion in the morning, I show no excitement, no indication whatsoever that we're going on a walk, in fact the usual "going for a walk" routine is very different than my "just finished breakfast" routine. Despite all this, every morning it is the same thing; sometimes I think that she is telling me, "You better take me to the park or else I'll figure a new way to piss you off!!"

I have to tell you, she has come a long way since we got her. Sometimes in my darkest hour in dealing with this dog, I want to contact the Lab Rescue and turn her over to people who can find her a different, good home (rather than take her to the HS). Usually I dismiss these feelings by looking into her eyes, thinking that she is having the best life with us and no one else can compare; but now I am not so sure I get these feelings about her anymore. I get frustrated easily with the dog and I don't like that feeling. My other dog (who is wonderful and placid and the sweetest dog in the world) gives me this look sometimes that says: "You never used to be like this on walks, Dad".... She is doing great and life was so easy and worry-free with her. She is old and I don't want her last couple years to be in a house of frustration.

I just don't know what is going to happen, I want to have a life on the weekends not worrying about leaving the dogs inside and having to let them out. I lock them in when I have a hockey or softball game b/c "where Houdini is" is a thought that will haunt me and destory any semblance of playing a good game. At Sunday's Broncos game, I should have enjoyed being there in the stadium, it was a good day and a rare outing 1 on 1 with my mom, but no, kept thinking "How many dogs will greet me at home, 1 or 2?" or "My cell phone is ringing, is this a neighbor? The Sheriff? County Animal Control?"

Maybe I worry too much, who knows. I'll talk to my wife this week.

-Peart

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    You know the funny part in all this?

Everytime someone comes over to the house, my folks, friends, contractors, HVAC sales dudes, etc. They all marvel at how well behaved the dogs are. How they listen to me and stay out of the way when asked, etc. They always say: "What great dogs you have..." "My dogs never listen like yours..."

Shakes Head in puzzlement...

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    zman, maybe you need to change the morning routine that Houdini has created. don't give her the opportunity to get the other one reved up. perhaps run her through some obedience tasks to get her to think about something else.

she's created a new routine whether you did or not.

i get frustrated with my dog sometimes and i'm sure he thinks i'm a bitch because sometimes i'm so firm with him, but (don't tell my BF) the dog listens to be and responds to me better than the BF because i am consistent and firm. no means no. sit before being allowed to eat. sit before getting collar on. sit before going out the door. BF often gets frustrated with doggy because he doesn't listen. well, duh, you let him do different things each time. puppers is confused.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    You know the funny part in all this?

Everytime someone comes over to the house, my folks, friends, contractors, HVAC sales dudes, etc. They all marvel at how well behaved the dogs are. How they listen to me and stay out of the way when asked, etc. They always say: "What great dogs you have..." "My dogs never listen like yours..."

Shakes Head in puzzlement...
    I know the feeling. Actually, my dog is, er, was? very well-behaved when we first brought her home from the shelter, aside from some separation anxiety. She's an older dog whose owners abandoned her, telling the shelter staff that they were retiring and moving to Florida (like they don't allow dogs in Florida?! ). We think they became aware of some health issues that have ended up costing us thousands of dollars.

Anyway, lately our dog has become more and more stubborn, sometimes ignoring me completely when I call her to come inside... or when we try to move her to the foot of the bed like last night. She's great with people though, doesn't have any issues with jumping or barking like our old dog, and gets along fine with the cats (I suspect she's a little afraid of them). I just want to be able to sleep!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think how lucky I am both dogs have their unusual habits, but it is more cute than annoying. Our girl expects to get fed after we eat. As we finish she starts to get anxious, pacing, wimpering, or even barking. As soon as we ask "What do you want?" she heads off to her bowl. Yeah, we sometimes tease her. "Maybe she wants to get brushed..." She gives us a look as if to say "C'mon, don't you get it?"

The other, I think, is a buddist and practices passive resistence. If we call him to take a bath or if he has had enough of riding in the car (usually a few days into a vaction) he will simply sit or lie down. He doesn't bark, try to run, or get angry. He just refuses to move. We usually end up picking him up. He does not make it easy, but never resorts to violence.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Finn, also referred to as the Hellhound, is hard work. Hence the nickname, really. And I apologise, this might sound like a rant, but isn't. I just thought I'd share how he's doing!

He's mainly Staffordshire Bull Terrier - his mother was half Staffie, half Bullmastiff. He's a bag of nerves. There's no other way to put it. He's full of energy, in the sense of can't stop. Even if he were about to fall over from exhaustion, he probably wouldn't give up. He does relax and lie down, but not for long during the day.

He often does figure of eight walks or runs, regardless of where we are, with his nose to the ground. The kennels we use questioned whether I ought to train him out of it as he's rubbed his nose area raw on their concrete floor during his first stay. He has relaxed further with them since and tends to do it less. It seems to be a boredom / borderline OCD thing with him.Someone suggested it was related to his food, but I've cut back on anything with artificial additives in to a bare minimum. He get's dried dog-food but with the healthiest ingredients I can find. Wet-food is not an option and going to raw meats and so on isn't going to happen as I work when the butcher's is open...

And to top it all off, his bag of nerves behaviour extends to nervousness (fearfullness) around men. To the extreme that he started to get into fear-bite mode around them - no one has been harmed, to date. We've been working on it and he's a lot calmer (age could have somethign to do with it, as well) but he's now got to be watched very carefully around single men. His instinct for searching out the weakest and challenging them might get a bit too... interesting... otherwise! Like I said, so far, no harm done.

I don't really know how he got like he is (my fault, presumably, as I've had him since 8 weeks old!) but it could be down to the mix of dog breeds that he is, as I've been told of other bullmastiff crosses that tend to nervousness. He's a gorgeous, friendly, well-behaved dog 99% of the time. I just have to keep an eye out for the other per cent.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread