Thread: The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The beagle has been hell bent on eating his house as of late

Dog eats plastic "wicker" dog is happy nomming away
    Day or two later dog makes THAT sound and we all run to get him on a towel
    "wicker" doggie hurl greats us and the hound of hell is happy again

Rinse and repeat
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A Staffie Mastiff? Holy cow. Good luck!

I need it!
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Finally, after a couple "starter" holes were found last week, I call my FIL at my wife's request. They had the same problems with their dogs and we now have a small electrical wire along the base of the fence installed as of Saturday. I do not know if they have checked it out yet or not (when we're home, the dogs stay inside around us typically).

We'll just have to see what sorts of dog adventures I get to have this week!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Finally, after a couple "starter" holes were found last week, I call my FIL at my wife's request. They had the same problems with their dogs and we now have a small electrical wire along the base of the fence installed as of Saturday.
    Another deterrent is to put dried pepper powder (has capsicum) along the fence line. It's good until it rains again but will effectively deter hounds from sniffing/digging along the fence line. If you are vigilant in its re-application (after rains) the dogs will (over a couple months) eventually become conditioned (you ultimate goal) to not sniffing the fence line.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    ...I just don't know what is going to happen, I want to have a life on the weekends not worrying about leaving the dogs inside and having to let them out. I lock them in when I have a hockey or softball game b/c "where Houdini is" is a thought that will haunt me and destory any semblance of playing a good game. At Sunday's Broncos game, I should have enjoyed being there in the stadium, it was a good day and a rare outing 1 on 1 with my mom, but no, kept thinking "How many dogs will greet me at home, 1 or 2?" or "My cell phone is ringing, is this a neighbor? The Sheriff? County Animal Control?" ...
    How about some crate-training? Put her in solitary.

[typed the cat person]

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    How about some crate-training? Put her in solitary.

[typed the cat person]
    We're against Crate Training. It is mean to pen up a dog for so long.

[typed the man with the exposed electrical wire in his backyard]

Crate trainign would be considered if the dogs were tearing apart the inside of the house, jumping the fence all the time and otherwise illtempered or misbehaving. We have well behaved dogs, just one fo them gets bitten with wanderlust every once in a while.

Maister, I may try pepper. I heard putting their dog turds in the hole deters them as well, but I think our older dog just eats them
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    They want to put my kitty on prozac.

I think we'll wait to see if we can fix his problems without meds first.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    They want to put my kitty on prozac.

I think we'll wait to see if we can fix his problems without meds first.
    Get you some e-Prozac, i.e. a laser pointer.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Get you some e-Prozac, i.e. a laser pointer.
    I wish that could fix the problem. Unfortunately, I don't think that will help curb his inappropriate squirting.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    ... curb his inappropriate squirting.
    OMG soda right out the nose

This has to be the post of the day
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Got a new puppy yesterday. She is a real sweetie!

She has some really big paws to fill. It made me a little sad to see the her in Jackie's old bed.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Babs

Our puppy "Babs" will be 1 year old Friday........she is a pug-poodle.........very moody when mad.........but great fun and kisses when I get home.............she's only 20 pounds..........sometimes has trouble breathing, seems like asthma, anyone know anything about that? Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Talk to your vet but its a pretty common sound in Pugs and Pug mixes. The lovely little mushed in faces lead to all sorts of breathing problems.

My sisters sounds like hell even from the other room, how she sleeps next to it I will never understand.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My good friend from the CapAsia trip had to put her doggy down on Friday and it was very hard on her as she had him for 15 years. My heart goes out to her because that dog has seen her through so much especially in the last few years.

R.I.P. Ursu

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Houdini is up to something... I could sense this as I left this morning...

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Graciela, your new puppy is awfully cute! And kjelsadek, sorry to hear about your friend's dog - what a beauty.

I've been away for nearly a week, and despite the issue with my dog that I posted recently, I really miss my pets!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The dogs have been good for the past couple weeks. Here are some good photos of their lives:

Kaia (chocolate) jumping in place for a treat, her favorite activity. Kaslo (aka Houdini) is good at balancing on hind legs

Kaia, doing what old dogs do best

Thought this was a good shot of Kaslo (Houdini). She is looking in the distance thinking: "I wonder if I can climb that...?"

-Peart

Registered
    Jun 2005
    We got our little collie puppy last week!

Her name is Abbie (Abigail, but we just call her abbie for short)

She is a sweet, pretty little puppy, loves my mum and is always so happy to see anyone of the family. Her main hobbies at the moment are chewing leaves and grass, sleeping and aggravating our two cats.

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Her name is Abbie (Abigail, but we just call her abbie for short)
    She's a cutie but it won't be long before you decide Abbie is short for ABnormal.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Just got back from a long cold walk with the dogs. It went well this morning and I am enjoying these frosty and beautiful fall mornings here on the high plains.

A couple days ago, I was reading up on Labradors in Wiki. Seems that my Kaslo (Houdini) may have come from a "hunting dog" family lineage based up some of here manerisms and obsession, as well as speed. When chasing something in the park, she is FAST.

Anyways, found this article in yesterday's Denver Post about a 6 year old Yellow Lab that was rescued and turned out to be an ace bird hunter. A good read for any animal lover.. (except those that like birds, I guess...) : Gentle Ben: Denver Post

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cute story, Zman.

Our little girl is recovering from knee surgery. She is not supposed to move much, so we have been keeping her confined to the family room most of the day. The general idea is that she won't be running and jumping around there. I came in yesterday to find her lying comfortably on the couch. Apparently her leg does not hurt.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    At eleven years old the beagle has learned to howl I am not at all happy

We live in a quiet townhome community, lovely folks next door (we are a end unit) I have always asked them if the dogs bother them or if they can hear them-nope not a peep they swear. Note we are lucky we have a solid brick wall between each unit so its pretty quiet.

Friday I get home and the wife meets me at the car and I can tell something is wrong, turns out Mr Beagle has been testing his skills at 3pm every day until I get home at 5. The nice lady wanted to be sure there was nothing wrong with him as she has never heard him before and it sounds so "mournful". I assure nice lady that he is indeed fine but seems to have picked up a new trick during his last stay at the puppy hotel but that I am not at all sure what to do about the howls as we can correct him when we are at work.

Nice lady is not mad or upset (yet thank G*d) but I know its just a matter of time. I honestly have no clue what to do other than hope he gets past his new fun and life returns to quiet.

Grrrrrr

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Has anyone ever read Judith Viorst's "The Tenth Good Thing About Barney"? I just uncovered my old copy, it's from '71 or so. Great little book about losing a pet. I weep when I read it. Very good for appreciating, and grieving for, a pet. Excellent for explaining to a kid, I was glad I had it when my son and I lost 2 cats he adored, when he was little.

From amazon.com: Editorial Reviews
    Product Description
    My cat Barney died this Friday. I was very sad. My mother said we could have a funeral for him, and I should think of ten good things about Barney so I could tell them...
    But the small boy who loved Barney can only think of nine. Later, while talking with his father, he discovers the tenth -- and begins to understand.

Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    A Staffie Mastiff? Holy cow. Good luck!
    On top of the worst characteristics of each breed, the Hellhound has now been diagnosed with seratonin-deficiency - apparently the cause of his hyper-anxiety and his inability to relax. Two years on from picking him up, I'm now starting when "I've come to look at the litter of puppies, please" started to mean "May I take your most difficult specimen, please" ...
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread