Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Though he is back safe and sound, my son's cat went missing last week for four days. My son was of course heart-broken. I was frustrated because here was a problem that Papa couldn't solve for him. I was a little guilty too because I suspect the cat got lost by following me to the store without my knowledge.

Anyhoo, T-Joe was found a block from our house by someone who took him home. I had placed a lost cat request at the humane society and when the lady called in, she was given my name. So I guess Papa did manage to save the day, anyway, with the help of a nice lady.

T-Joe is on restricted priveleges. He gets to go outside only in the day when we are home.

He is still as ornery and as much of a jerk as he ever was. When the lady called and said how nice he was, I thought, despite the spot-on physical description, she had to have a different cat.

Someone who definitely is not happy about his return is our other cat Sitka, who hates him with a white-hot passion and is the victim of his sneak attacks. The four days he was missing were among the happiest of her life.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Someone who definitely is not happy about his return is our other cat Sitka, who hates him with a white-hot passion and is the victim of his sneak attacks. The four days he was missing were among the happiest of her life.
    That reminds of everytime Houdini would get out. When I'd come home to get her leash and go search for her, our other dog would be excited as if to say, "She's gone! You needn't look for her, she decided to leave and now I'm the only dog...."
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Yesterday, my wife bought a big bag of dog food and a Chuck-It.
    I tried it out in the park this morning once the sun came up and it works great. Kaslo (Houdini) loved it and I could launch the ball pretty far without hurting my newly painful right elbow. We'll be trying it more at lunch today. It helps me with handling the ball as Kaslo droools profusely while in the park and she has soaked golves, etc in our recent outings.
    Meanwhile our other dog Kaia sniffed around the bushes in the park and got a little running in as well (she is the least retriever-ish retriever I know and is getting too old to run after the ball now).
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Yesterday, my wife bought a big bag of dog food and a Chuck-It.
    I tried it out in the park this morning once the sun came up and it works great. Kaslo (Houdini) loved it and I could launch the ball pretty far without hurting my newly painful right elbow. We'll be trying it more at lunch today. It helps me with handling the ball as Kaslo droools profusely while in the park and she has soaked golves, etc in our recent outings.
    Our Fenny LOVES his Chuck-It. It is perfect especially since I throw like a girl. Fenny is obsessed with the Chuck-it. He would run himself to death if given the chance. We have to give him breaks when playing with it because his sides will be heaving and he'll be foaming at the mouth and still he begs for more.

The only problem for us is Fenny has a boo-boo leg and is on restricted exercise.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Our Fenny LOVES his Chuck-It. It is perfect especially since I throw like a girl. Fenny is obsessed with the Chuck-it. He would run himself to death if given the chance. We have to give him breaks when playing with it because his sides will be heaving and he'll be foaming at the mouth and still he begs for more.

The only problem for us is Fenny has a boo-boo leg and is on restricted exercise.
    As I stated before, Kaslo was a rescue dog, twice surrendered before entering our family. When my wife brought in the chuck it last night, Kaslo went nuts, as-if she has seen it before. On the walk to the park this morning, she kept turning around, jumping excitedly at the fact that a Chuck-it is back in her life. And, yes, for some reason she kept wanting to play. I had to stop things this monring. Usually she would take a break after a 10-minute lap around the park but she kept going. Perhaps she previously sensed the pain and fatigue in my right arm and would slow down. With nothing of the sort immenating from my appendage this morning, she must have thought that play-time will continue.

-Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My 200lb. Neo Mastiff got his butt kicked by a stray cat this morning...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    My 200lb. Neo Mastiff got his butt kicked by a stray cat this morning...
    Some how, I do not find this hard to beleive.

Actually, I've been thinking of getting Finn a cat for company. (I tried to get a rescue dog, but I'm not a good bet due to working all day.) I have a friend who breeds Bengals and I can guarantee if I took one, I wouldn't be coming home to giblets...
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Once again, you're all subject to photos of my dogs. This time around, we are sharing some outdoor exploration shots from our trip to the family cabin in the mountains SW of Denver last weekend. Enjoy:

Kaia sniffing around while Kaslo buried her nose in the roadside snow (her favorite activity when outside in winter.

Shot of both girls coming back to check on us. They thought we were slow walkers or something...

After adventures in sniffing rabbit holes, coyote and deer tracks, and general galavanting around at 10,000ft ASL, is there anything better than passing out in front of the woodstove? (The dogs did not sirt for this shot, not even after calling their names).

-Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006

The Hap Hap Happiest Dog in The World

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

I was walking to my bedroom closet this morning... in order to take out a shirt for ironing... when I saw Houdini herself out the back window sniffing around the yard. I thought I would watch her for a moment as I wasn't in a rush. With slight hesitation, I saw her put her forepaws on the fence--at this point I opened the window and called her in (my wife now by my side watching as well). To this, Houdini turns and stares at the window as if to ask: "okay.... are you watching?" Then when a quick bound, and a little help for her hind legs, she is over the gaddamn fence!!!
    Immediately, we drive to the next block and haul her in. She hurt her paw (her normal "break a nail sort of thing") which serves her right.

I have been pissed all morning... I wonder if razor wire, when placed on top of a fence, could be electrified...

Time for a radius wire and a collar for her.

-Peart

Registered
    May 2005

I was walking to my bedroom closet this morning... in order to take out a shirt for ironing... when I saw Houdini herself out the back window sniffing around the yard. I thought I would watch her for a moment as I wasn't in a rush. With slight hesitation, I saw her put her forepaws on the fence--at this point I opened the window and called her in (my wife now by my side watching as well). To this, Houdini turns and stares at the window as if to ask: "okay.... are you watching?" Then when a quick bound, and a little help for her hind legs, she is over the gaddamn fence!!!
    Immediately, we drive to the next block and haul her in. She hurt her paw (her normal "break a nail sort of thing") which serves her right.

I have been pissed all morning... I wonder if razor wire, when placed on top of a fence, could be electrified...

Time for a radius wire and a collar for her.
    More times than not, I think that my dog is more of a hassle than having two daughters under the ages of 6.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    More times than not, I think that my dog is more of a hassle than having two daughters under the ages of 6.
    I have no clue as to what to do. This dog does not sit ignored or unexercised, she is pretty much a happy dog. I think she just has this adventurous streak in her that is insatiable.

Well, more attempts to to work on this weekend... because I don't have any other thing to spend my money on...

And, no, sadly, they won't amputate one of her legs to alleviate the problem... (kidding, not wanting to do that...)

-Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I have no clue as to what to do. This dog does not sit ignored or unexercised, she is pretty much a happy dog. I think she just has this adventurous streak in her that is insatiable.

Well, more attempts to to work on this weekend... because I don't have any other thing to spend my money on...

And, no, sadly, they won't amputate one of her legs to alleviate the problem... (kidding, not wanting to do that...)
    I think she likes to push your buttons
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I think she likes to push your buttons
    Could she be an annoying instigator like me? Perhaps she is learning more than I think. You know, I do believe she is one of the smartest dogs I have come across...almost too smart.

But I do love her. And I love my portly chocolate lab that is inevitably eating the leftover food in Houdini's bowl...

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Perhaps she is learning more than I think. You know, I do believe she is one of the smartest dogs I have come across...almost too smart.

Maybe she needs a job or some training that taps into her mind. Maybe some daily agility training or something would help curb her rebellious streak. *shrugs*
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Maybe she needs a job or some training that taps into her mind. Maybe some daily agility training or something would help curb her rebellious streak. *shrugs*
    She is a retreiver. Everyday she retrieves stuff in the park. Twice a day, most days. That is her job. I tell her daily to clean the house and/or do dishes while I am at work (the other dog has to slop toilets and make the beds) and they just IGNORE their jobs. They won't vacuum either, I think they're afraid of the vacuum. Maybe I am giving them the wrong jobs... I don't know.

-Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006

I saw her put her forepaws on the fence--at this point I opened the window and called her in (my wife now by my side watching as well). To this, Houdini turns and stares at the window as if to ask: "okay.... are you watching?" Then when a quick bound, and a little help for her hind legs, she is over the gaddamn fence!!!

zman, I haven't followed all your fencing attempts but most security type fences have a 45 degree extension at the top to make it harder to get over and in (or out). If you haven't already tried that, it might be a possibility and you could always add a strand of charged wire to it.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Please don't laugh...

We're taking the dogs into a holistic pet communicator (yes, a pet psychic/vet) today on the recommendation and good reference of a friend of my wife's.

We're going to see what is prompting Houdini to such behavior and what else we can find out about making the lives of both dogs balanced and happy (as well as my not losing anymore hair...).

I'll give a full report in the morning, but I am kind of nervous about the whole thing.

-Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Please don't laugh...

We're taking the dogs into a holistic pet communicator (yes, a pet psychic/vet) today on the recommendation and good reference of a friend of my wife's.

We're going to see what is prompting Houdini to such behavior and what else we can find out about making the lives of both dogs balanced and happy (as well as my not losing anymore hair...).

I'll give a full report in the morning, but I am kind of nervous about the whole thing.
    Smmmf, snnrk, mmmmph, gonna explode if I can't laugh but I'm trying...

Did you know that the original Houdini promised that he'd communicate back to his wife from the afterlife but no one has heard from him yet? Keep the expectations bar set low.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Smmmf, snnrk, mmmmph, gonna explode if I can't laugh but I'm trying...
    ditto.

Goodluck, zman. I'm eager to hear all about the experience.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Okay, you may laugh.

At least I am not spending too much on this venture and perhaps I am channeling my fortune telling grandmother from the world beyond in my current thinking.

(shrugs).

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Okay, you may laugh.

At least I am not spending too much on this venture and perhaps I am channeling my fortune telling grandmother from the world beyond in my current thinking.

(shrugs).
    hey, if it works, it works. sometime the outcome justifies the method.

*shrugs back*

Whaty Dandy said. When you've got an animal with issues - and you aren't Cesare Milan - you do whatever it takes to sort out the issues. Thnakfully, I only got as far as a "clinical behaviourist" before finding advice that works. And the Hellhound TM has been upgraded to Pest-Nuisance TM. In another few years (he's only 2) he might even be fit for public appearances!
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Looking forward to your report, zman.

My dog is smart enough to know when we're leaving the house to go somewhere (as opposed to, say, going outside to get the mail)... yet she can't seem to figure out what to do when she manages to get her leash wrapped around the tree out back!! So I have to walk outside in slippers, in the snow, to untangle her and bring her inside...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My son's cat - T-Joe - went missing again on Sunday. It was late by the time we noticed, so I went looking for the dang cat. I wasn't two steps out of the house when I saw T-Joe on the neighbor's roof. And a tomcat on the ground. Every time T-Joe looked for a place to get down, the tomcat was underneath. I chased the tomcat off, but he kept coming back. Well I couldn't get T-Joe to make the eight plus foot jump to the ground and I didn't want to be messing around my neighbor's house and yard while they were sleeping, so T-Joe stayed up there all night.

After the neighbors left for work Monday morning I got my ladder and coaxed the cat close, grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and hauled him off the roof. Little bastard wasn't grateful, though.

Don't know who gives me more trouble - my son or that blamed cat of his.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 PM