Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Registered
    Aug 2004
    ZMan, we're still waiting on your report! How did the visit to the pet physic go??
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    What the...? That was on Tuesday night? Is it Friday already? What happened to the week?

Well, the visit was interesting. We got to the place (which is also a Vet's office) in Fort Collins. She is an actual vet, which made me feel better about the whole thing.
    She interviewed us, asking us how long we have had the dogs, any questions we want figured out, etc. Then she did a physical exam on the dogs a bit and got to know them a little better. It was tough becuase both were anxious and hyper due to the new surroundings.
    Then she worked on Kaslo (Houdini). When she was communicating, the psychic bascially closed her eyes looking downward in communication. The weird part was that Kaslo sat and perked her ears up (in the triangular lab way) as if someone wanted her attention.

Anyways, based on this "communication", we found out that:

-Kaslo likes our place the best (having at least 2 families before us),

-She gets out of the yard because it is fun-she is not trying to escape something bad nor is she bored at our place and we'll have to deter her from doing somehow as she will not stop doing it...

-The Vet/Pschic said that Kaslo has something in dogs akin to ADHD (well, duh...)

-And she doesn't HATE car rides, but rather is simply anxious to get where she is going.

As for Kaia, our aging chocolate Lab
    -She was previously in something like a backyard breeder situation where she had two litters.

-She has arthritis (from the physical exam).

-She doesn't mind Kaslo in the house, is very tolerant, but they are not "sisters"

-Kaia has a deep and profound wisdom which is probably why she is so easy-going and placid.

BOTTOM LINE:
    The visit was good, I think if at the very least it helped us understand the dogs better. There wasn't anything that led me to believe the woman was faking it, she did ask a couple questions after her "communications" that were about specific things that we did not disclose before (like the dogs' having allergies).

RESULTS:
    We have some (actual medicinal) things to try for car rides, allergies, and Kaia's arthritis. Both dogs did great on the car ride home (which is a first) and Kaslo, not one to eat all her food right away, has been wolfing down all meals at once.

We have some additional things to try in keeping the dog in the yard, but I feel a different vibe between the dogs and myself and they have been pretty good lately.

As for Kaia, we were told there might be something we should know health-wise and have been advised to get a blood test done for liver or spleen ailments. (This was by the vet, from the dog herself). So we'll be doing that soon.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2002

A dog's disgusting habits

Our older dog Megan has acquired a taste for, uh, things in the cats' litter box. She just walked into my home office all stinky, loudly licking her chops, and I had to clean the bits of litter off her lips with a wet paper towel.

I know this is not uncommon with dogs. Any suggestions on how to discourage her, other than putting a cover on the litter box?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Put a cover on the litter box. Nice hooded cat pans are available.

Or put it inside a cabinet (door propped open!). Or on a shelf above dog height.

Stoooopid dog!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Our older dog had taken to eating ANY poop she finds. She also likes grass. It is hard to stop.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    we have covered litter boxes.

the only thing we've done is correct him if we notice him sniffing around or sticking his face near the litter pan.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Our older dog had taken to eating ANY poop she finds. She also likes grass. It is hard to stop.
    You better figure out how to fix this one before your upcoming child is crawling around and wondering where to find those "treats" the dog keeps eating.

Registered
    May 2005
    Beautiful day here in West Michigan........I think I'll take the young hoss for a walk tonight. He's been a pretty good (although attention hog) dog the last few months.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We had to put our beloved dog Megan to sleep Saturday morning.

My heart is very heavy... It was a tough weekend.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I'm so sorry for yours loss MP
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    MP - I"m so sorry for your loss!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    MP That is too bad. Many condolences from out west...

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    MP, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved doggy.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    A couple vet visits the past couple weeks.

Last week we took Kaia, out older Chocolate Lab into the doc. This was mainly because she needed her distemper and rabies boosters, but also because of the "underlying disease" warning she herself gave the aforementioned pet psychic. We had blood drawn. Results, elevatied liver ensymes and a supplement (milk thistle and SAMe) regiment for a month, but nothing too serious right now.

Yesterday, we took Kaslo (Houdini) into the vet for a distemper booster, tests and to get a lump on the neck checked out (found by my wife 2 weeks ago in a belly and neck rub situation). Got the blood sample and shots in, had her ears checked out and a sample taken from the lump. Turns out to be a MAST cell tumor. The vet says that it is small and by here eyes, looks to be minor. They are sending the sample to Colorado State Univ. (top vet school lab) for pathology tests to see how serious it is. But we'll have to remove it. It hasn't spread to lymph nodes which is good. Still, it took the wind out of my sails and I have been thinking about this for much of the time since I left the vet yesterday evening. Tonight she'll get a thorough check for other anomoles and will probably go under the knife next week.

On the other hand, she is still hyper and ADHD-like as usual. I even took her to the park for a good round of call toss before we left yesterday and she didn't tire out at the vet. She is a wild one and hopefully will be for some time to come.

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Took Cassidy to "Puppy Playtime" earlier this week. It was 45 minutes of unleashed activity with 7 or 8 other young dogs. She had a blast!

With a harness recommended by the dog trainer we called, she has become somewhat easier to walk on a leash, although she still tends to stop to sniff obsessively at various things on the ground (e.g., wild turkey poop, pine branches, clusters of flies). Good Manners class starts next month.

zmanPLAN, hope everything works out with your dogs!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    we are considering adding to our family. we've talked about getting another dog for quite some time. on Sunday we were at Petsmart buying dog food when we came across PUPPIES from a local rescue org. they are little 6 week old rottweiler/newfoundland puppies. they are young to be away from the mommy but mommy isn't around them anymore so there really isn't much they can do.

BF and i are both wavering on the decision to adopt the little one. we filled out an adoption application but said we needed to discuss it further.

Pros:
    • appears to have a nice personality/breed history
    • companion for us and current doggy
    • not from a breeder
    • puppy toes
    • puppy tummy
    • kitties are tolerant/love current doggy
    • potential size of doggy (we like bigger dogs) plus females tend to be smaller
    • BF doesn't teach this summer so would be home to walk/train puppy
    • already have doggy so new puppy wouldn't be THAT much of a change to routine

Cons:
    • $$ required for proper care, food, vets, etc.
    • disruption to our existing family dynamic
    • unknowns - personality, existing pets reaction,
    • potential size of doggy (purebred Newfies can weigh up to 165lbs!)
    • chaos of new puppy
    • possibility of pregnancy [me] in next year or two, extra strain on resources

those of you with two doggies, how much did your life change with the addition of the new one?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    those of you with two doggies, how much did your life change with the addition of the new one?
    Other than expenses, our lives didn't change very much. The first dog was a little over a year old when the second, about 6 mo's old, appeared on the doorstep. The first dog has remained the alpha although he only really enforces that status when food is involved. The real impact has taken place in the last few years as the boys are now 12 & 13 year old senior doggy citizens. Their medical expenses rival that of the medicare generation. We're hoping that the Obama administration will give us universal canine coverage.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Other than expenses, our lives didn't change very much. The first dog was a little over a year old when the second, about 6 mo's old, appeared on the doorstep. The first dog has remained the alpha although he only really enforces that status when food is involved. The real impact has taken place in the last few years as the boys are now 12 & 13 year old senior doggy citizens. Their medical expenses rival that of the medicare generation. We're hoping that the Obama administration will give us universal canine coverage.
    ugh, expenses are our main concern. all three of our current pets have experienced some health issue that required mucho dinero, so the thought of adding another member to the family makes us fear potential health issues and the realted expenses.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    BF and i are both wavering on the decision to adopt the little one. we filled out an adoption application but said we needed to discuss it further.

We adopted an older dog, because we knew they have a harder time getting adopted, and the plus side is that their personalities are already visible, and they tend to adapt quickly.

Life changes due to additional dog: more $$$ for kibble and treats, double the vet bills (they both need all the same basic preventative care) and when the time comes, double the boarding expenses. Plus, more toy time (double the fun!), more squeakies at inopportune times, no sense of "alone time", and the occassional alpha-dog argument between the two. All in all, well worth the additional doggie kisses and adoring stares. And the good feeling of providing a home for a previously-unwanted dog renews daily.

Puppies are a lot of work! Please keep that in mind when deciding, because you want the home you are providing to be the best place for him/her. You both must be ready, consist in training and discipline, and mentally ready to deal with the challenges that a puppy provides.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome! Pictures, too, if you bring him.her home!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Cons:
    • possibility of pregnancy [me] in next year or two, extra strain on resources
    If this is real, I would recommend against the 2nd doggie.

We already had our Lab when our first child arrived and she certainly got relegated to full dog status, which meant non necessary walks and regular play time became optional for us. We didn't neglect her, but her routine changed enough.

With 2 little boys and third on the way, we would never even entertain an additional pet, not even a cat.

Now for you, say Baby Warhol comes along and you have two large breed dogs that need walking/playtime in the middle of the day and you cannot give it to them, because you're busy caring for the bundle of joy....and poop and refusal to nap, etc.

Two large breed dogs, especially of relatively young age (which the new one and your current dog would be), would be a bear to care for in addition to Baby Warhol.

But that's just my opinion.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I was thinking about getting another dog for my only pet child, McLovin. He's definately a stereotypical Boston, bouncing from one place to another. I had a laundry list of prerequisites. However, I was told by a young mother of three with two dogs . They're like children; it's easy to find a person to watch one dog, but difficult to find someone to watch two!

I'm still thinking about getting another dog, if the right situation ever presents itself. I'm a homebody and rent a house with a half acre (not fenced in) and McLovin goes everywhere with me. My only reservation is how McLovin would react to a new dog in the equation. I have no doubt that there wouldn't be any dominance issues on his part. He's such an omega dog. He rolls over and is "bullied" by other dogs when he is around them. I think, unless some poor rail thin hound finds me, I'll hold off on getting another dog.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I agree completely with Salmissra - puppies are a lot of work. We've had Cassidy for about a month now, and while I adore her (LOVE her pink belly!), I often feel like the exhausted mother of a toddler. And we've spent quite a bit on treats, bones, toys, things to keep her occupied and out of trouble...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I have only dealt with older dogs, like my two labs.
    My wife and I are expecting now.

My take for Dandy: People have more time than they think to be both a parent and a dog owner. This is not a decision to take lightly, but I think that if you have the gumption, determination and drive to be both then go for it. It will take work, but if your effort is there you will be rewarded.

As for raising a puppy, I haven't any advice.

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We have a home visit scheduled with the puppy tomorrow night. Eep.

I'm not so worried about the puppy aspect, we've had a puppy before and I can still remember the work required for him.

To be honest, I'm mostly worried about how my cats will react. I have no reason to suspect that they won't tolerate a puppy, they've both been raised around dogs and puppies so it isn't as if it is a totally new experience for them. But I my kitties and want them to have a nice life.

*adjusts Cat Lady badge*

Registered
    Aug 2005
    well i should've saved myself the stress and worry and realized that i can't say no to a puppy. she's becomes a permanent member of the pack on saturday.

meet little Freya Smizmar Warhol

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread