Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post

On the plus side, Cassidy seems to learn the commands pretty quickly. She understands that clicking = treats, and yummy treats are a great motivator! We'll continue to practice the commands we covered in class over the next week.
    What did they work on at the Good Manners class?

Treats are an incredible motivator. We've had Freya less than a week, she's only 7 weeks old, and she's mastered "Come" and close to getting "Sit" and we're working on "Ok" to have her wait before she gets the treat. She's so cute. When she knows she's done a good job she just runs up to you, sits down, and looks up waiting for her reward. Even does the little head tilt for extra heart-melting.

Next step is working on her "No!" and "Drop it" commands. She really enjoys biting our pant legs, esp. when she gets frustrated. So we tell her "No!" then redirect her biting to a stick or toy. Then she gets praise for chewing on the stick, not pants!

Today is her first vet appt. Thank goodness, the poor thing has worms. ACK! ICK!! BLECK!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The BOOBY (pronounce witha U not the T*T word) is getting shaved for south TX heat on Friday. She still has her Wisconsin coat. Will post before-and-afters...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    The BOOBY (pronounce witha U not the T*T word) is getting shaved for south TX heat on Friday. She still has her Wisconsin coat. Will post before-and-afters...
    My grandma's dog is a Newfoundland/Chow/Black Bear mix. He always gets a shearing for the summer. Afterwards he looks like a poorly sheared black lion, but he's happy!

I bought six monster rolls of Cottonelle tp. The rolls were so big, they didn't fit in my vanity, so I put it beside the toilet until I figured what to do with them. I was leaving for work Monday and put a towel over it thinking my dog would not find the rolls. Wrong. When I came home at 5, every single last monster roll of toilet paper had been shredded to pieces. The only thing I could do was laugh and take a picture, unfortunately I don't have my camera with me so I can't post them.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    One of my dogs is cutting sulfurous, heave-inducing farts as if they were from the bowels of Satan himself, so I've been taking them in and out every 15 minutes, hoping that one of them will release the beast within that is causing my apartment to become a future Superfund site. Really, all 1,150 square feet; there's not a place one can go to escape the intense noxious emissions emanating from of one of the furry parti Porties. I even put them out on the balcony last night, and still the foul stench made its way indoors. I could only imagine this is what the experience of chemical warfare was like for the brave veterans of World War I.

Veloise, that looks like a wonderful church! Still, I think Guinness or Bailey would have cleared it.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Good God, Dan, what are you feeding those dogs? Black beans and cabbage?! Maybe you need to feed them a higher-quality dog food.

dandy, the first good manners class covered sit, down, watch, and touch, among other things... really just the basics to get everyone used to the clicker method. I have a feeling that those last two will be used as part of more difficult commands later.

I found a good training book at the library yesterday - Positive Perspectives 2: Know Your Dog, Train Your Dog by Pat Miller. She's also written a book called The Power of Positive Dog Training that our trainer recommended.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The puppy killed a bird last night. Poor little birdy. BF had to clean it up. Poor BF.

The puppy injured her knee while on vacation. We think she must've twisted it while zooming around the beach. Upon return home we took her to the vet who has placed her on restricted exercise and anti-inflammatories.

Do you know how difficult it is to keep a 4-month old puppy still? Poor thing is crated most of the day but gets a few short walks and some alone time in the backyard.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Do you know how difficult it is to keep a 4-month old puppy still? Poor thing is crated most of the day but gets a few short walks and some alone time in the backyard.
    I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 11-month old puppy on yet another rainy day.

Cassidy doesn't want to go outside. I can't blame her. And if it's not the rain, it's the overabundance of mosquitos and deer flies.

BTW, nice to see this thread reactivated!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yeah....

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 11-month old puppy on yet another rainy day.

Cassidy doesn't want to go outside. I can't blame her. And if it's not the rain, it's the overabundance of mosquitos and deer flies.

BTW, nice to see this thread reactivated!
    My HUGE Werewolf of a dog (part timber wolf part great pyrenees)
    Looks like this, only bigger and all white fur:
    http://leerburg.com/Photos/wolfcross_01.jpg

For some reason he doesn't like to go outside right now EVEN TO PEE
    I mean it is only 40-47 degrees celsius outside!

Just imagine the mess he makes in the house......(ala RJ after two bottles of wine...he he he....)
    Last edited by The One; 21 Jul 2009 at 1:58 PM. Reason: YOU WILL NEVER MAKE ME Talk
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jul 2006

Sad Day

We had to take the second dog to the vet for the final time this morning. It wasn't unexpected but still really hard to do. Did the same with the first one in June. It's the first time that we've been dog-less in almost 14 years. Both were Golden Retriever/Chow mixes and great companions but they do get expensive in their final years. Probably won't get another one until the cat passes on, just too much trouble to have both dogs and a cat in the house.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I am sorry to hear of your loss. That last visit to the vet is always wrenching. Last July I had to take our German Shepard into the animal hospital at 3 a.m. to put her down and end her (considerable) suffering. We've not gotten a dog since.

Sorry to hear the sad news, ofos. It's never easy to put a beloved pet down.

Years ago, I had a cat that was about 20 years old. She was born when I was in kindergarten and I hardly remembered life without her. It was clear that she wasn't well, so my mother and I took her to the vet knowing it was probably the end, but hoping otherwise. The vet told us that the cat's kidneys had failed and she was in pain. She could hydrate the cat, but it would only delay the inevitable.

She left us to make our decision and the piped in music was playing Barbra Streisand's The Way We Were (Memories). When the vet came back mom and I were in tears. The vet was very apologetic about the inappropriateness of the music, but we knew it wasn't her fault. I think we just both wanted to have a good cry for an old friend.

RIP Sam
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    We had to take the second dog to the vet for the final time this morning. It wasn't unexpected but still really hard to do. Did the same with the first one in June. It's the first time that we've been dog-less in almost 14 years. Both were Golden Retriever/Chow mixes and great companions but they do get expensive in their final years. Probably won't get another one until the cat passes on, just too much trouble to have both dogs and a cat in the house.
    I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. You are probably smart about waiting until getting another pet. Not only will this give your cat and yourselves a break, but you will have time to grieve.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My son got the leopard gecko he has been bugging me about for weeks. We are in week two and the little bugger is still with us. My son has really stepped up and taken the responsibilty seriously. Even cleaning up the lizard poop.

He is the envy of his friends. One of the girls my wife teaches Spanish likes the gecko and even held it. I told my son that girl is a keeper.

Reminds me of my childhood. My older brother was interested in reptiles. We had everything - caimans, iguanas, turtles, lizards, skinks. He became a herpetologist.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Reminds me of my childhood. My older brother was interested in reptiles. We had everything - caimans, iguanas, turtles, lizards, skinks. He became a herpetologist.
    Sounds like a serious case of RD (Reptile Dysfunction), I see and hear ads talking about it all the time but they never show any of the dysfunctional reptiles, just people. I'm starting to suspect that it's limited to the one-eyed trouser snake.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Sorry to hear about your loss, ofos.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Sounds like a serious case of RD (Reptile Dysfunction), I see and hear ads talking about it all the time but they never show any of the dysfunctional reptiles, just people. I'm starting to suspect that it's limited to the one-eyed trouser snake.
    JEEEZUS...WTF?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    JEEEZUS...WTF?
    Too little sleep, too much caffeine, bad start to the day. I'll flag myself.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    My sincere condolences to you, ofos. You're the 3rd person I know who has lost a beloved pet in the last week.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    This summer I have had two pet emergencies while camping. We were walking around the campground and the pup ate some grass and started to gag. Ended up being a fish hook. He partially swallowed it. We were able to calm him down and had to rush him to a vet. I can't stress important having a GSP was. We searched animal hospitals and found one getting there just before they closed. In any event, we realize we should look into where the local vet offices are and animal emergency hospitals before we travel. I realize how much a GPS can be a lifesaver...more so than a cell phone since the service is better

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We took the dogs to the vet yesterday for teeth cleanings. Our girl has gone through this before. While she did not like it she perked up just fine once we got her home. Although he is 11 it was Roscoe's first time to have his teeth cleaned, and he lost three. As soon as he was out of the cage he was pulling me to the door of the vet's office. The poor guy has looked miserable all night.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Guinness in his favorite spot.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Does Guinness let you sleep in that bed ?
    or do you have to sleep elsewhere ?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Guinness in his favorite spot.
    Somebody has to ask. Is Guinness stout? Can't really tell from the picture but I do know that he's not black & tan.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Had to take the old girl in to the emergency vet this afternoon. Last time was the tail injury (prior to the amputation). This time it was barfing and what looked like a rash all over her back and neck.
    Diagnosis: Hives. Looked like a bite on her leg caused it. She had three shots, and is on children's Benadryl for a couple of days. The whole experience was long - 3.5 hours at the clinic - but not as traumatic as other visits in the past have been.
    4 visits to the clinic in 9.5 years. First two in the first 2 years of ownership, then the last two in the past 6 months. Could be worse, I guess.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Good luck, Salmissra....hope it all turns out well. Sounds like you have a real love affair going. Nice!

Here is a pic of our Molly, when she was much younger. She has gained quite a few pounds since. I will try to get some snaps soon.

Bear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Molly Mae (17).jpg  

+ Reply to thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44