Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Our new addition

About 8 years ago, my dog of 16 years passed away. He was a great friend. Well with a baby coming into play 7 years ago, I had waited until an "appropriate time" to get another dog. Well a couple of weeks ago, my daughter and I went to the pound and found one that will grow up as part of the family.

This is Striker. He is 5 months old and a Lab/Border Collie mix (and has big feet).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    About 8 years ago, my dog of 16 years passed away. He was a great friend. Well with a baby coming into play 7 years ago, I had waited until an "appropriate time" to get another dog. Well a couple of weeks ago, my daughter and I went to the pound and found one that will grow up as part of the family.

This is Striker. He is 5 months old and a Lab/Border Collie mix (and has big feet).
    Good choice for you and the kiddo. Endless energy and it will relentlessly track her down and herd her on back to the house.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Adorable pup.

Funny, a good friend of mine just adopted a 5-month old lab last month - also named Striker!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    How cute! And great job rescuing a puppy from the pound!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wonderful! We adopted our lab/border collie mix a month ago, and he will be six months old next week. Luke is an active dog. He is very smart and wants to please, but gets into anything we leave lying around if we are not paying attention. But when he curls up next to me, lays his head on my knee, and closes his eyes, all is forgiven.

You are in for some challenges, and plenty of rewards.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My older lab is now becoming cranky. She sleeps in the hallway and wont move. She looks at as if to say, F*** Off, man... I'm comfy!
    She is also a snob. Yesterday in the park some dogs were barking at us fromt he other side of the fence. She casullay walks close to the fence, not to challenge them but to say, "Bitch, I am in the park and you're not!"

Houdini, she just chased the tennis ball.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I couldn't figure out why my photos from Flickr won't show up here, but they don't.

Anyway, here's the link to my "pup" ...
    Rusty

Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    I couldn't figure out why my photos from Flickr won't show up here, but they don't.

Anyway, here's the link to my "pup" ...
    Rusty

He's a good looking dog!

Off-topic:
    Right click the image, select Copy Image Location, click and you should be good to go. (Don't forget the img tags front and back adding / to the back tag.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Luke is an active dog. He is very smart and wants to please, but gets into anything we leave lying around if we are not paying attention.

You are in for some challenges, and plenty of rewards.

Striker has been with us for a little over 3 weeks now. When we take him for walks around the neighborhood, he stops constantly and doesn't want to proceed. He's not stopping to sniff around, just doesn't want to go. When we make the turn for home, he is all about going and getting back to his yard. If we drive to the park, he walks around with no problems and is very good on his leash.

Here's a list of things he has chewed up:
    Left shoe of the pair I used for mowing
    Handles on Razor scooter
    Golf umbrella
    Valve stem on left front tire of my truck
    3 phone books (left for recycling)
    Door frame
    Laundry basket
    Handle of shovel
    Cardboard (various)
    Foldup chair

List of things he won't chew:
    Orange sqeeky chew toy bone
    Tug rope pull toy
    Rawhide bone
    "Kong" type rubber chew toy (except whenit has a treat in it)
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Striker has been with us for a little over 3 weeks now. When we take him for walks around the neighborhood, he stops constantly and doesn't want to proceed. He's not stopping to sniff around, just doesn't want to go. When we make the turn for home, he is all about going and getting back to his yard. If we drive to the park, he walks around with no problems and is very good on his leash.

Handles on Razor scooter
    Golf umbrella
    Door frame
    Laundry basket
    Handle of shovel
    Cardboard (various)
    Foldup chair

Tug rope pull toy
    Rawhide bone
    Sounds like you have your hands full!

It also sounds like he's trying to assert his dominance in regards to when, where, and how he goes for walks. Our puppy was a PITA on walks until we got her a backpack. She calmed down tremendously once she had a "job" to do.

Do you crate him during the day? That helps tremendously with the amount of trouble a puppy can get into.

How much exercise does he get? A bored doggy gets into a lot more trouble than a tired doggy.

Our puppy was a holy terror. But at one year she is a lot better than a 3 months. It took about that long for her and us to become trained. She has a bad reputation but a lot of times she is better behaved and more obedient than our "good dog" - the lab.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

Do you crate him during the day? That helps tremendously with the amount of trouble a puppy can get into.

How much exercise does he get? A bored doggy gets into a lot more trouble than a tired doggy.

He stays in a two-car garage during the day (that has no cars in it). Mrs. P caomes home at lunch and puts him on a 75' zip line in the back yard while she's there. When the kids comes home afer school, she plays with him in the gargae and the yard. When I come home we play in the yard and (try) to go for a walk.

I don't want to crate him during the day or night. He also stays in the garage overnight. If fact he seems to like that better than outdoors. We will be getting a fence in the very near future and I know the chewing will stop at about 1 y.o.

I think part of his walking habit maybe because he was abandoned or set out. He doesn't want to leave the house/yard. Also when we take in the truck and go to a park, he doesn't want to get out by himself.

Registered
    May 2005

Handles on Razor scooter
    Golf umbrella
    Door frame
    Laundry basket
    Handle of shovel
    Cardboard (various)
    Foldup chair

Tug rope pull toy
    Rawhide bone
    Good times! This reminds me of the "Stuff my Kids Ruiined" site linked to in a different forum. I think your pup has most of those kids beat...

If you don't already know about them, I highly recommend the books by the Monks of New Skete. They are classics of dog training and really excellent resources. There is one specifically for puppies, too.

This is a link to their site (though you can probably get these books from your local library also): http://www.newsketemonks.com/catalogue.htm

I remember reading in one of their books that if your dog is being destructive, misbehaving, etc. the first question to ask is if they are getting enough activity/stimulation/exercise. One of the challenges with a puppy (and especially certain breeds like Heelers, Austrailian Shepherds, Border Collies, Pointers, etc.) is that they are extremely high energy. Add to that dogs bred to work a lot every day and you have a challenging situation (unless you are a rancher, hunter, etc. and live on a lot of acreage). Sometimes its just not possible to work them enough during the week, but really they do need it (or you will pay the consequences...). With mutts, well, you take what you get. They do calm down eventually, though...

Just being a puppy has its own unique challenges. Really, I think those New Skete books are the best I have seen and I'm sure they would have some good tips on curtailing your household destruction. I've never crated a dog myself, but it is a very effective method and though it may sound unfriendly at first, they really like it because it mimics the safety and calming nature of the den.

Regardless, enjoy the joys of puppy raising!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2005
    He stays in a two-car garage during the day (that has no cars in it). Mrs. P caomes home at lunch and puts him on a 75' zip line in the back yard while she's there. When the kids comes home afer school, she plays with him in the gargae and the yard. When I come home we play in the yard and (try) to go for a walk.

I don't want to crate him during the day or night. He also stays in the garage overnight. If fact he seems to like that better than outdoors. We will be getting a fence in the very near future and I know the chewing will stop at about 1 y.o.

I think part of his walking habit maybe because he was abandoned or set out. He doesn't want to leave the house/yard. Also when we take in the truck and go to a park, he doesn't want to get out by himself.
    Sounds like he has a lot of "fun" but not necessarily structured exercise. Trust me, I know it is difficult, but at least one 45min walk per day would be very beneficial for him.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The most helpful training aid for us was Sukros. Sukros is an 11-year old husky-collie mix. Luke watched her on the leash and figured it out right away. If she comes when called, he follows. She poops outside, so he does too. You get it. He learns from her. The only problem is that if I try to take him for a walk without her, he is reluctant to go. If I try to take both dogs, but not Mrs Cardinal, Sukros is reluctant to go. This makes me think that Luke is really Sukros' dog.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    The most helpful training aid for us was Sukros. Sukros is an 11-year old husky-collie mix. Luke watched her on the leash and figured it out right away. If she comes when called, he follows. She poops outside, so he does too. You get it. He learns from her. The only problem is that if I try to take him for a walk without her, he is reluctant to go. If I try to take both dogs, but not Mrs Cardinal, Sukros is reluctant to go. This makes me think that Luke is really Sukros' dog.
    Sounds like Planit will have designate a family member to play the role of well-trained companion. Might want to first explain to the neighbors why he's started dumping in the yard though. Better that than explaining to the police.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Sounds like Planit will have designate a family member to play the role of well-trained companion. Might want to first explain to the neighbors why he's started dumping in the yard though. Better that than explaining to the police.
    Thank goodness pee & poop outside hasn't been a problem. Only one mess in the garage the first day. I did consider it when I had to go one morning and was waitng for him to do his business & he was just standing around. He knows his name and generally comes when he's called, sit, stay, lay down, speak & doesn't go ballistic at food time. Just start chewing on your chew toys and not everything else...and ofos, I'm not going to chew on the toy either so that may be a problem.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Wise advice. You don't want the neighbors hiring Wade Blasingame to sue you!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Planit, if you don't already have a laser pointer, get one! Hours of indoor chasing exercise for Striker and entertainment for you and the family with little or no exertion on your part.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I have a little black pug (about 10 months now) that is maybe 15 pounds and bullies my big Boston around. Anyone that has a pug knows that they love to get into spats with their god awful war cries. She has no snout so when they fight, she can bite and pull on his flews all day, but all he can do is pull on her legs. Did I mention it has been one hell of a task trying to potty train her. The Boston was almost too easy to potty train, but I got him at 8 weeks and her at 5 months. I'll have to post pictures because I think she looks like Yoda.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Guinness in Lake Erie, at the Buffalo Outer Harbor.

He sprained his leg a few day ago at the dog park. He was chasing after a dog that was much younger, spilled over, and sat up keeping his right paw airborne. I had to carry him out of the park. The vet says no broken bones; he's on an ant-inflammatory medication. He's hopping with a limp now. His stride should return to normal in a couple of weeks if he gets enough rest.

Of course, now that Guinness is incapacitated, Bailey wants to play with him all the time. (Guinness is 11 years old, Bailey is 10.)

Bailey at the Outer Harbor.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They are so cute.

Sukros and Roscoe used to play regularly. It was easy for them since they were only a year apart, and Roscoe, despite being 20 pounds lighter, had more speed and agility. It was a fair match.

Sukros will play with Luke, which is amazing since she never played with or even liked any dog but Roscoe in her entire life. Mostly they tug at either end of a rope. When he was smaller (26 pounds) Sukros would pretend that he was pulling her. Now he is 42 pounds, very strong, and she has to use her own weight to keep from getting pulled.

Luke has found out he likes to swim. It is the lab in him. I have taken him to the beach a couple times (Lake Michigan) and am working on getting him to fetch a stick I throw into the water. Waves still frighten him, and he is uncomfortable with water he can't stand in, but he is getting good at retrieving. If I pass through Buffalo again this year I will have to bring him and meet you and the water dogs at the lake.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    One of my cats, who is typically quite playful and nutty, has been sleeping for the past 24 hours with only a few breaks. This is after she threw up in seven places yesterday.

Wait and see, wait and see...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    One of my cats, who is typically quite playful and nutty, has been sleeping for the past 24 hours with only a few breaks. This is after she threw up in seven places yesterday.

Wait and see, wait and see...
    Keep an eye on her.

FYI, and this isn't meant to worry you but to inform you, kitties can become anorexic in a matter of days and develop fatty liver disease. It is correctable with a lot of hard work and diligence, but it can be fatal. So if she doesn't eat for more than 3 days make sure to take her to the vet to get her checked out.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

White Thing

Here's a pic of one of my cats, White Thing. This was taken after he had one of his yearly "Lion Cuts" at the vet. He has to be sedated to give him this buzz. White Thing is due, again. Probably in another week or two. Summer, you know.

The other two cats, Tazz and Domino, continually pick on White Thing. He is a bit of a loner kitty. Maybe we should have called him James Dean. He does get along famously with our Golden Retriever, Molly. Go figure.

Bear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 082.jpg  
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Keep an eye on her.

FYI, and this isn't meant to worry you but to inform you, kitties can become anorexic in a matter of days and develop fatty liver disease. It is correctable with a lot of hard work and diligence, but it can be fatal. So if she doesn't eat for more than 3 days make sure to take her to the vet to get her checked out.
    Are you saying I don't know how to take care of my cat?!?! I actually didn't know that but I'll keep it in mind for the future. She ended up feeling better after about 36 hours and is back to normal, so we're good.

+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread