Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canadian school acceptances

Registered
    Feb 2009

Canadian school acceptances

Anyone hear back from canadian schools yet ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2007
    I got into British Columbia's master's program this week. It's the only Canadian school I applied to.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    I was accepted at McGill on feb 17

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally posted by nvijaya View post
    I was accepted at McGill on feb 17
    Do you mean the program itself or the school as a whole since you've met general requirements? Because from my experience last year and how slow the school of planning handed out decisions (just take a look at last year's thread for McGilll), February 17th is extremely early to be handing out acceptances.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    I was accepted by the school of urban planning on feb 17th and then I got the official letter from the office of graduate studies that was dated feb 21.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Congrats on McGill. I was accepted into York on Feb 28th. Still waiting to hear from U of T and Dalhousie.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Congrats, I keep regretting not applying to Toronto schools. I miss hearing english all the time. Good luck on U of T and Dalhousie.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Does anyone know when U of T send out their letter? I read somewhere in this forum that they tend to be a late notifying school (i.e. around April). Does anyone know if that is true?

Registered
    Feb 2009
    I was told via email that they were supposed to be contacting students towards the end of last week. I've yet to hear anything so i'm hoping maybe this week they'll be in touch.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    I was accepted by the school of urban planning on feb 17th and then I got the official letter from the office of graduate studies that was dated feb 21.
    Wow, guess they're moving fast this year. Congrats!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Dalhousie

Heard Dalhousie had a good program. Great city

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I was accepted to McGill a couple weeks ago, and now I am waiting to hear from UofT and Ryerson.

Can anyone provide any info on this differences between these programs (specifically McGill vs. UofT)?

Registered
    Feb 2009
    I'm still waiting to hear from Ryerson...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    I was rejected by UBC a few weeks ago. I am suppose to hear back from Manitoba by the end of this week and UoToronto by the end of next week. I haven't heard anything from Ryerson yet, but McGill and York both say they will know soon, likely by the end of the month.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Does anyone know anything about York's program ? I know York isn't exactly the strongest school overall but is the urban planning program relatively strong ?

McGill's admision packages

I'm glad there's a separate thread for Canadian schools. It is too easy to get lost in the maelstrom of that other decidedly Americentric thread.

Like nvijaya, I was notified by email February 17th. A postal letter from the school director confirming the same arrived in early March. There was no word on when the GPSO are delivering their admission packages, so it's subject to debate when one might be able to consider accepting whatever that package will include. It did indicate that acceptance of the packages must be confirmed within two weeks after the packages are prepared. For those weighing options and deadlines between multiple acceptances, this leaves a lot in flux.

nyijaya, it is clear on the other thread that you have your eyes on MIT. JaneJ, what are your thoughts, assuming UofT and Ryerson also invite you?

As far as why I am less interested in UofT's programme, it has mostly to do with two things: the area of concentration where I want to direct my attention is mostly absent at the UofT (street design and light pollution), and Montréal as a city-lab offers a variety which I feel is vital for diversifying experiential insight on the way different cities achieve the results and approaches they do (actually, I feel it's vital to move around and live in as many cities as one can, but that's a bigger-picture way of looking at it). I considered UBC, but the timing for that isn't what I need right now (I also used to live on the west coast, which would mean less new variety of urban experiences).

Actually, the third, less legit reason derives more from my personal feelings about the UofT's grad programme: I've either already completed some of the courses in the M.U.P. stream (open to grads/undergrads alike) or I've met some of the people they've previously admitted into the masters programme (okay, one person in particular) and was left gobsmacked at how in the world they'd be desperate enough to admit said person. The person I'm thinking of, a wannabe jock, spoke slowly with a monosyllabic vocabulary (waaaaaaay too much weed smoking) and wasn't even aware what "monosyllabic" meant, much less was able to say the word. When I asked what their feelings were on smart growth, for example, they basically poo-poohed the entire premise of Ontario's Places to Grow on smart growth in the GGH-area Greenbelt, saying it was disruptive and unfair to periphery towns which desperately want to build low-density tract housing and car-dependant power centres. Yeah, uhm no.

I've met good people in the programme, but again, at this time there wasn't anyone concentrating on what I want to explore with my own research. As for Ryerson, I can't really say much up or down (though I hear it's increasingly building a very formidable urban planning-design force that is quickly about to give UofT a run for its money), but I have had one prof who taught at both Ry and UofT, and he was exceptionally experienced in his field, though a little glib about it. I passed on Queens, too, as Kingston isn't my idea of a city-lab hotbed of innovative ideas, though it is practically unmatched for law school.

Don't hate on the playa. Hate on the game.
    Last edited by accozzaglia; 14 Mar 2009 at 7:26 PM. Reason: Cannot edit: my post's title. Grrrrr. The copy editor in me is cranky now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    How are the other Canadian schools for transportation? I know McGill has a pretty decent transit focus and some good profs in that field, which is why I applied. I would be thrilled to go to McGill. I also like that it's studio-based and a small program.

McGill stuff:
    I got a PGSO package before I got the letter from urban planning that said I had two weeks to notify. What does that mean? AlI I got were the rules and regulations for grad students and my official acceptance letter, which was dated Feb 21. Is there another PGSO package on the way?

Not sure, really. I received the acceptance letter last week following the email notification on the same day you received yours. Not sure why it took them a couple of weeks longer to send out materials. I mean, I know Toronto is a foreign city-state and all, but . . . </wry_sarcasm> . . . we're not that far away.

I received the GPSO package today, postmarked on Friday. So my two weeks begin from then. Beyond the acceptance letter x4, plus a catalogue and some other supplemental stuff, that was it. No documentation on funding or total fees or anything like that, but I'm sure that follows later. I don't get the impression that anything else shall be received via post until after the offer is accepted or declined by the applicant.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Has anyone heard back from U of T yet ??

Registered
    Mar 2009

UofT

I was about to ask the same thing!!! I emailed the department yesterday, asking if I should expect an answer soon, but no reply! I have less than 2 weeks to accept Mcgill's offer!

Anybody know what's goin on at UofT admissions?!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    I have until Monday to accept McGill's offer, so I'm probably just going to pay the deposit. If I miraculously get into MIT then I most likely won't be too upset about losing $200.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I'm going to Montreal tomorrow, and meeting with the director of planning on Friday. Then I'm flying down to LA on Tuesday to check out USC. I have no idea whether or not I will enjoy living in SoCal, so I thought I should definitely visit before consider making such a big move! However, if I were accepted into UofT, I would probably decline both offers! Decisions!!!! Hopefully it will become clearer once i visit my schools!

I have until Monday to accept McGill's offer, so I'm probably just going to pay the deposit. If I miraculously get into MIT then I most likely won't be too upset about losing $200.
    The other thing I don't get is how on the other thread, a number of people are being awarded with scholarships and other funding for what I thought were professional certification degrees like those at McGill or, I suppose, the UofT (per my past prof who completed her MUP there). What makes those programmes down in the states so different that these institutions literally have money to throw at them for what's basically a certification?

Anyone?

[Edited to add: No one here I know who's applied to UofT has heard back yet, but bear in mind that I know all of about three people who've specifically applied there/here. I know of about two who've applied to Ryerson -- no word yet -- and one to York, with the same pending outcome.]
    Last edited by accozzaglia; 18 Mar 2009 at 11:00 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    I've heard back from York (accepted), but still waiting on U of T, Dalhousie and Ryerson.

Registered
    Mar 2009

UofT

I received an email from UofT today saying that they have already sent out their first round of admissions, and will be sending out their second round today. I was told I was not included in either rounds of admission, and that I am pretty far down the wait list. I'm kinda disappointed, to say the least. I have been living all across Canada over the last 7 years, so it would have been nice to live and study in my hometown ... oh well ...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. School: UIC UIC Acceptances
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Feb 2013, 12:56 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Dec 2011, 5:08 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 1:57 PM
  4. Replies: 2