Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Greensboro, NC downtown developments

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Greensboro, North Carolina (population - 270,000)

Greensboro, NC downtown developments

Here are the new CityView Apartments in the Southside neighborhood of downtown Greensboro. BTW I am one of the residents . The apartments include hardwood foors, stained concrete floors, exposed brick wall monitored alarm systems. The clubhouse includes a billards area, Sony Playstion 3/X Box/ Wii room, coffee/tea bar, 3 screen sports bar, business center and cardio room.

patio deck ontop of clubhouse

my apartment

photos from apartment.com

The third phase of the apartment complex includes a restaurant, small grocery store, retail and mixed-use office. This is a true urban developmrnt located in a downtown neighborhood that has received a number of national awards

Last edited by cityboi; 07 Jul 2008 at 11:50 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I like the brickwork detailing. New-build?
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Very Nice, these are my ideal type of residential housing.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    I like the brickwork detailing. New-build?

yes indeed. its actually just a part of a re-emerging downtown neighborhood that has townhomes, live-work townhomes, single family homes and apartments. There is even an upscale wine cafe'/restaurant. Architectural styles vary. The CityView Apartments have more of an industrial look wich fits the setting of being next to the railroad. But you'll also find New Orleans style architecture and Charleston, SC styles in the neighborhood. The neighborhood has won several national awards and is one of the nation's top infill developments.
    Greensboro, North Carolina -population 270,400 (metro 1.6 million)
    NC's 3rd largest city

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Here are some more photos of this downtown neighborhood. 15 years ago the neighborhood was run down with delapitated homes, crime and homeless people. Today its an upscale neighborhhood with townhome prices as high as $500,000. The wine cafe plays live jazz music every thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Alington lofts

live-work units

and there is CityView

Last edited by cityboi; 09 Jul 2008 at 12:21 AM.
    NC's 3rd largest city

Registered
    Mar 2005
    SUBLIME

Quote Originally posted by cityboi View post
    /
    RIDICULOUS

Quote Originally posted by cityboi View post
    /
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Jan 2005
    An interesting mix of architectural styles but I think they work pretty well together (except for the blue sheet-metal smurf castle).

How much public funding went into these projects, if any?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    [from the critics I always get] Where are the peoples? [/from the critics I always get]

Nice. It looks attractive.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Im not sure how many millions have gone into this neighborhood but its alot.

BTW here are some photos of the inside of the "tower homes" These townhomes have 3 floors plus a rooftop patio. The price is a bit much for the size of these units in the Greensboro market. But they are very interesting and unique.

I love those ceilings!

Last edited by cityboi; 10 Jul 2008 at 12:00 PM.
    NC's 3rd largest city

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    This is the Center Pointe condo tower thats currently under construction in downtown Greensboro. Its actually a renovation project of a 17-story tower that was built in 1966. It use to be the old Wachovia bank building and sat empty on the market for over 15 years. The building is located across the street from the new Center-City Park and will have a restaurant and coffee shop on the ground floor. The building was completely gutted and the only thing that was left were the steel supports so its basically a brand new building. The developer (Roy Caroll) will live on the top two floors with his family which will be one two story penthouse unit. His unit will include a two story waterfall.

The boxy building in the background is what it use to look like. This photo was taken when the renovation began. The building was actually dark grey with bluish/green glass but they painted the building in ugly pink in the early 1990s.

here is Center-City Park across the street which has free wireless internet access

This is what its looking like. (its actually more complete than this) rumor has it, developer Roy Caroll may build a second condo tower next to it twice as tall as this one.

interior renderings

NC's 3rd largest city

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. NCAPA - Greensboro
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Sep 2009, 2:44 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Aug 2008, 10:32 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Oct 2007, 11:07 AM
  4. Replies: 19