+ Reply to thread

Thread: Applications from hell

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Applications from hell

AIB this post by Jen:

Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    I did get one nice reject letter, from a small township. The big cities that asked for a 5 page application with my drivers Lic, SS# and other background info sent me nothing. I am tempted to call ask did they make sure to shred my sensitive personal info?
    On top of the "no rejection letters" thing, I'm also starting to encounter some very grueling application forms, much more so than years ago. Some want 15 or 20 year job histories with names of supervisors, addresses, salaries, phone numbers, and so on. Seriously, do they really want to know about those pizza delivery gigs and two-weeks-this-sucks-I'm-gone jobs from college, and so on? It would seem odd noting the details -- if I can remember them all -- of some job I had in a now-closed supermarket in 1983 when I apply for a planning director position.

That's not to mention sensitive information such as my Social Security number (unless you hire me, forget it!), driver's license number, civic and social groups one is involved in (a way at trying to determine someone's religion or race without outright asking?), and the dreaded Affirmative Action sheet they promise will be detached from the rest of the application.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have looked at some job applications/descriptions that want college transcripts.
    I believe that is probably appropriate if you have been out of school less than 5 yrs.
    But what about somebody like me when undergrad was 28 yrs ago ( older that some Cyburbians ), and grad was 17 yrs ago ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Do civil service exams count?

I applied for a job for Los Angeles County, CA two years ago that required an in-person civil service exam prior to any initial applicant pool review. Luckily, the week of the exam was going to be during spring break and I was already planning on visiting relatives in Lancaster. If I wasn't, though, I guess the applicant pool would have only been open to people in close driving proximity or those with a lot of money lying around. (I didn't get the job, though. Oh well.)

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I once spent about four hours completing an "in-box exercise" on-site for a public planner job, followed by a mock presentation to "council," then a regular interview. It appeared that they were all set to challenge me on the previous experience details already submitted. I mentioned that the terse three lines did not leave a lot of extra space.

Came home and opened a document wherein all my previous jobs fit onto four pages. I set up tables with varying sizes of fields depending on the information, then C&P'ed that to cover all the jobs. Some are condensed into one slot (contract work, publications temp). That was about ten years ago and I'm still using it.

Every application asking for previous experience is provided with this document. If they want to wade through it and contact everyone, they are welcome to spend the time. I think it helps make me look well-organized to have a complete employment history at the ready.

Interestingly, at my previous big city job, the HR gal inquired about my previous jobs, which she then wrote out in longhand on a legal pad. I pulled out the described four pages, asked if that would help. "Oh, I have that," she replied, then continued quizzing me about "the job before that." So I just read to her from the experience list.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup

Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Do civil service exams count?

I applied for a job for Los Angeles County, CA two years ago that required an in-person civil service exam prior to any initial applicant pool review. Luckily, the week of the exam was going to be during spring break and I was already planning on visiting relatives in Lancaster. If I wasn't, though, I guess the applicant pool would have only been open to people in close driving proximity or those with a lot of money lying around. (I didn't get the job, though. Oh well.)
    This is the reason I've never interviewed for a job in California, at least not in person.....they wanted me to come out for two days to take a test with 20 other people, all on my nickel.....just not worth it for mid level jobs, let alone entry....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I simply won't apply for these types of jobs. Maybe I miss out on some decent opportunities, but I personally think that I miss out on a whole lot of headaches. I have no issue with a brutal interview, but when the HR department runs wild I walk away. I always wonder what any encounter working with HR will entail in the future.

I personally don't even like filling out an application unless I am accepting a job, but I keep my mouth shut and deal with this one.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    This is the reason I've never interviewed for a job in California, at least not in person.....they wanted me to come out for two days to take a test with 20 other people, all on my nickel.....just not worth it for mid level jobs, let alone entry....
    I'm all about civil service, but review the applicants first, possibly even do a phone interview. Then test those you think will be a good fit.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I'm also starting to encounter some very grueling application forms, much more so than years ago. Some want 15 or 20 year job histories with names of supervisors, addresses, salaries, phone numbers, and so on.
    Seriously? I only had to go back 10 years for a security clearance. 15 to 20 for a job application is beyond unreasonable.

I did have to fill out a lengthy on-line application for my current employer, but that was after I had the job in-hand. Plus, it got a lot of the information I would later need for the security clearance application together in one place, so it ended up being a good thing.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Far too many applications are geared to manual labor positions. There should be a different app for professional jobs. I love the "complete job history". Salary: $10 a day. Address: there were no zip codes then. Name of supervisor: (deceased). Name of department: abolished in 1980s. Do you want the phone when I worked there, or what it is now?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I would have the same problem - job I had 30 yrs ago -
    company was bought then new company went out of business, so of course no phone number.
    physical address the place has been torn down and last I heard still vacant, probably a brownfield site.
    personal contacts are now likely dead, don't remember or who knows/cares where the records are.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How true. My first two jobs were so long ago that everyone has retired. The next organization I worked for no longer exists. Everyone I worked with has left the fourth city. I could probably find somebody at number six, but then I worked for myself for a couple years. Of course, I could give myself a glowing recommendation.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. SS number on applications?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 03 Sep 2010, 7:30 PM
  2. PhD Applications
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Apr 2009, 12:10 AM
  3. Faxed applications