Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: General feelings about places/regions you have lived

Registered
    Jun 2007

General feelings about places/regions you have lived

I'm wondering what Cyburbians think about the areas they've lived. I'm talking gut reactions, with a slight twist in urban critique.

For me:

I. Dallas-Fort Worth
    A. Dallas - lacked, until recently, the "big city" feeling. Instead had a "big, tall office park feeling.
    B. Fort Worth - genuine mid-sized city.
    C. Arlington - the epitome of suburbia.

II. Oklahoma City-Norman
    A. Oklahoma City - the largest small town you could imagine.
    B. Norman - college town classic.

III. Austin-Round Rock
    A. Austin - small town-mid-sized city dichotomy and, to be cliche, "weird".
    B. Round Rock - fast growth without inner focus.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    1. New Orleans - great, lively city with great culture, great food and great people. Great city to visit. Too much violent crime

2.) Northlake (north of New Orleans) - nice area with great food and great people. Until recently, a great place to grow up in, but now it is a suburban mess with bad traffic and congestion.

3) Mississippi - went to college in Hattiesburg and worked in Greenville. Nice people, mostly. Pretty country.

4) Missoula, MT - very interesting city in beautiful country. College town. Recreational opportunities beaucoup. Open-minded people and liberal, mostly. Rivers run through it.

5) Bozeman, MT - awesome scenery, used to be cool and affordable, now it is suffering from growing pains. Still has the best location in the state for fun.

6) Ketchikan, AK - awesome scenery. Very nice people. Probably the place with the least prejudiced people I have encountered. Nothing to do if you don't have a big boat or like bars, or both. Don't miss it.

7) Helena, MT - nice scenery and great people. A small, mostly quiet city. Small downtown. Nice neighborhoods. Democratic stronghold of the state. A government town. A family town. If you are young and single, you might have trouble loving it. If you have a family, it is a great place for them. Lots of recreational opportunities. Two national parks that are about equal distances north and south. Place where my son was born. My home.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    *Muncie, Indiana- ummmm..... it is on the White River

*Columbus, Ohio- A mumble of community and college. Working its way to a much more accessible place. New transit line could help to build itself as a more forward thinking place.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

From My Professional Life
    1) Fort Wayne, IN. I really liked it-spent 9 years there. Just the right size. Big enough to have what you wanted at an affordable price but not too big so that you had to drive miles to get any where. Downside-the winters are long, cold, snowy, rainy and dreary. The grey days go on forever. Further, it is literally a mid sized city (200,000+) in the middle of a cornfield.

2) Hodgenville, KY-great little community in central Kentucky-very underrated place. The people are fantastic, some of the best I've ever met, lived and worked with. Big statue of Lincoln in the town square. Great sense of where it fits in history and the role it plays. BTW, Lincoln was born and spent the first 8 years of his life there. Has a great national park honoring him.

3) Anderson, IN-would have liked to live there during it's hey days. As it was, a community in rapid decline. Last of the big factories closed down. People leaving in droves because of it. Good people trying to make the best of it. It gave me a lot of perspective on America, even more than Gary, IN.

4) Hattiesburg, MS-great town. I feel blessed beyond measure to be here. Fantastic, friendly, people, relaxed atmosphere, great food. Pretty much has everything you would want. Place growing like crazy. 1 -1 1/2 hours from the coast-2 hours from New Orleans. Nice scenery. Great place to be. Great place to work
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2008
    1) Tampa, FL Lived there from -9 months through high school. Then it wasport & industrial city. A little gritty, but a good place to be. Interesting mix of cultures. City had own character. The Interstates were not kind to the city and divided it into chunks. Downtown no longer anything except office towers. Dead after 6:00 PM.

2) Chattanooga, TN - Industrial city that still has a good bit of industry. Environmentally progressive w/ a head start on green business. Managed to hold onto more character than many places that, to my mind, have homoginized themselves.

3) Gainesville, FL - College town all the way. UF the only real game in town. Very progressive transit system.

4) Kelso, WN - Wet, green, small. Natural beauty all around if you can thake the endless overcast drizzly days. Logging town.

5) Tallahassee, FL - Two universities and one large community college. Capital of large state so students do not overwhelm town, but are enough to keep things interesting. Just starting to get it's act together on transit system. Great location for outdoor activities. Coast 25 miles south. Springs, rivers good boating, fishing and hunting. Rather liberal city for Florida.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Adult Life:

1a. Portland, Oregon: Lived in the outer SW area so it was more reminiscent of the suburbs than the urban areas. Very well connected by mass transit both to downtown are and to nearest suburb of Beaverton. Also close to the major connectors, walked to the park, school, grocery stores, and many restaurants. Tight job market, skyrocketing real estate market made sure we couldn't own a house and precipitated the move to South Carolina.

1b. Beaverton, Oregon: My home town, and also where my mother lived. Very suburban but a nice place to live and grew rapidly during the tech explosion since it's very near to Intel, Tektronix, Nike HQ, and a host of smaller tech firms. Cost of living high, bozo commutes to Portland, although light rail runs there and they have free parking at the stations which I was a frequent user of. Pricey housing on ever decreasing lot sizes, further removed from Portland were all present when I left in 2002. It is a great place for families and there are plenty of things to do, by car of course. Loved the scenery and recreation opportunities in the region and miss them!

2. Greenville, South Carolina: Took a job transfer from Portland there. It drove me crazy the first year there but I owned a home on one income, we enjoyed a fabulous school system, taxes low, a lot of revitalization was taking place. Drawbacks were reliance on cars and lack of real public transportation. Great small city with a lot going on in it and less than two hours drive from Megalanta and Charlotte. Many things to do within a one hour radius. Left for grad school....

3. Piscataway, NJ: Heart of suburbia with no downtown as it belongs to neighbor Edison. Not much to do except go to Starbucks and shop at the strip malls. Housing and rental market both very overpriced for what you get, jobs not very plentiful which makes everyone commute. Little public transportation except the NE Corridor Rail which is great but expensive and hard to connect to. Nearby New Brunswick is home to Rutgers, Johnson & Johnson, and other things full of students and immigrants. Some redevelopment taking place, but most folks that could afford to leave have for nearby suburbs. My tenure there will end shortly. A second year resident of South Carolina can lend more insight I am sure

4. Next up?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've only lived in three contiguous zip codes for my entire life. All of them either in or near Detroit. I am consistently amazed by this place.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Peachtree City, GA - I lived there back during the early 90s as a preteen. It's an interesting community located south of Atlanta. The city has a huge network of MUPs that allow you to get around by bike or even by golf cart - which many choose to do. Outside of the city was sprawly nastiness in every direction but Peachtree City itself was a great place.

Greater Boston, MA - I grew up there, it's home. The region is different than most other places I've been. It's the closest to Europe, both geographically and in terms of the built environment. Everything just feels old there. It's politically liberal yet culturally conservative. It's a place that looks more toward it's past than the future, although it still has a lot going for it in terms of quality of life.

Westchester County, NY - This place is a weird contrast. Some parts of the county are just filthy rich and homogeneous. Others are highly diverse, both economically and ethnically. It's home to municipalities filled with the most stuck up people I've ever seen yet also has post-industrial cities and villages that seem more like something from upstate NY. I must say that I'd never seen ostentatious displays of wealth like you see here back in Massachusetts. The rich people want to make sure that you know they are rich.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Age 8 on:

Greenville Area, SC: Originally a declining textile town. Now has a rich automotive industry. The area is rapidly growing and Greenville is becoming a decent mid-sized city (56,000 city; 320,000 urbanized area). The area is an hour to the mountains and 3 hours to the Atlantic. I liked this area a lot, my family still lives here. Nice people, with some close-mindedness.

Rock Hill, SC: 4 years of college. Another textile town that is quickly becoming a bedroom community for Charlotte. A mixture of typical suburban development and a nice historic area. I liked the area, but went to Charlotte for most entertainment.

Mankato, MN: 2 years of graduate school. Regional center for south-central MN, north-central IA. Mid-sized university helps keep things interesting. A nice older downtown with some new development. Old Victorian and Prairie style housing surrounding downtown. Winters are long, dark and cold. Summers are usually nice with a few hot days. Great people. I loved Mankato and would love to move back to the area.

Indianapolis, IN: Been here for 4 months. So far I am not sure how I feel about Indy. Nice people although, the dozen or so murders in the span of a week and a half is a bit disconcerting. Way too dependent on automobiles. A few neat neighborhoods. A fairly active greenways system. Far enough north to get a nice cool front in from Canada during the summer.
    Last edited by rcgplanner; 15 Jul 2008 at 3:34 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I: Centennial/Arapahoe County, Colo. (Birth-18 y.o)
    a. Denver suburb.
    b. Typical suburban upbringing in community built in the 1970s.
    c. Drive everywhere, but ample natural space around
    d. Used to be the last vestage of Denver metro until Colorado Springs

II: Greeley, Colo. (18-22)
    a. College town (Univ of Northern Colorado)
    b. Agricultural community with massive meat packing plant, smelled like cows most days
    c. 50/50 white/hispanic population
    d. Still harbors racial tensions

III: Loveland, Colo. (22-23)
    a. Foothills town, mainly residential
    b. Lived in friendly apartment community
    c. Dubbed as "retirement community" there existed a lot of old folks, which in turn brought wealthy conservative attitudes and beautiful golf courses.

IV: Small Town, Weld County, Colorado. (23-present)
    a. Bedroom Community
    b. New "anti-planner" snout housing abounds (including my own)
    c. Should be a black hole of community (according to APA doctrine) but have great friends and neighbors
    d. Because of "C", I live very close to the ideals of "Co-Housing" as I can get in a SFD neighborhood.
    e. Not much retail, commercial, or office or things to do during the day (like lunch hour)

Yes... still looking northwest. This Gypsy soul needs movement out of state.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Yes... still looking northwest. This Gypsy soul needs movement out of state.
    Off-topic:
    Just remember, no matter where you go there you are.

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm currently living in la-la land: Its a fascinating and interesting place

Registered
    May 2005
    Philadelphia - I lived in West Philly in various locations and also Germantown. I have a fondness for Philly as it is where I grew up (well, the suburbs actually - see next). The city has a lot of diverse character in terms of ethnicity, income, architecture. Different parts of town look and feel very different from one another and there are some real gems. But stuff is pretty spread out in places. I find public transit cumbersome as it often doesn't take you where you need to go without transfers and circuitous routes. Lots of poverty and, when I lived there, a really palpable homeless situation. Its still a major p[ort of entry and so the cultural diversity is pretty remarkable. I loved going to the South Philly market (used to be called Italian market, but today, the Italians are in the minority there) and the Reading Terminal market.

Public schools in Philly are very poor.

Suburban Philly - I grew up in a little town called Wallingford which is next to the Delaware County seat Media and Swarthmore, where the college is. In many ways it was a rather buccolic setting to grow up. A creek, railroad tracks, local schools I could walk to. Housing is on often large lots that are pretty isolated from neighbors, although the values stayed fairly reasonable until the last 7 years or so. In 2000, th median home price was $180,000 in a very family-friendly area with great schools and a largely well-educated, well-off community. This surprised me.

I would not move back there, though. I found it too elitist, isolating, driving oriented and reminiscent of my own childhood (which was not bad, but sometimes you just need to leave that behind)

Austin, TX - Lived here for three years after college. What a great town that has grown tremendously since I lived there. I biked everywhere. The city has a very large young (under 35) population which made for some very exciting nightlife. Live music, public culture, and a great mix of different people. I was renting at the time, so housing costs and schools and the like were not on my radar. I can't see us affording to live there now. Its also very, very hot in the summer (which was remedied by drinking lots and lots of cold Shiner).

Santa Cruz, CA - I lived here for a year when I took a "vacation" from college. Another great, funky young persons town. Very segregated along income lines, though. I spent a lot of time mountain biking up on UC Santa Cruz campus and another place called Graywhale Ranch. Super pricey housing, of course. But for a college drop-out working at a restaurant and living near the beach, it was a pretty sweet deal for a year.

Albuquerque, NM - After 10 years here, we have a very sweet life in Albuquerque. We live downtown, everything is close. Architecture is cool (downtown) and I live close to work. But overall, Albuquerque would not even make my short list today. Lots of sprawl, driving, poor public transit (though it has improved significantly in recent years) and crappy schools. Housing is a bit on the pricey side, especially when compared with local wages.

Like I said, we have a very sweet life in a kind of crappy town. And yet, there is something about Albuquerque and New Mexico in general that is not quite like the rest of the country. As a consequence, it attracts an eclectic mix of outcasts and peripheral people from elsewhere, which can make for some interesting, and sometimes inspiring, experiences.

We also have easy and quick access tom some extremely beautiful and inspiring open space all around us. One saving grace is that we can head out for an overnight camp pretty much any weekend from mid-May to October (or during the winter if you are prepared).

Always looking for new opportunities, but no plans to move yet...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Central Florida (birth to 18 y.o., and another 12 years until last year). I love central Florida. I was in 2 towns near Orlando, both older with great little downtowns. 45 minutes to the beach, 30-45 minutes to the theme parks. Central FL is full of lakes, so lots of water recreation (if you watch out for gators....), tons of festivals and activities. Downtown Orlando is said to be on the upswing again after being devastated years ago by the opening of Disney's Pleasure Island and Universal's CityWalk. The downside: horrible traffic almost everywhere, and sprawl, mostly along the beltway around Orlando that's opened up in the last 15 years.

Western Massachusetts (3 yrs of college): I was in a small town near Springfield and loved the area, very collegiate with several fine private colleges and UMass nearby. At the time, compact, mostly walkable small towns.

Gainesville FL: Richi covered this one.

West coast FL, north of Tampa: at the time, 7,000 people, friendly southern town, absolutely nothing to do, now half the county is massive subdivisions.

Panhandle FL: Although we have a kinda crappy mall, Lowe's, Books A Million, etc. still pretty much a small town and isolated, about 1.5-2 hrs to any other city, and those aren't so hot, either. Lots of military families, tons of tourists (altho' not on our end of town), sprawl isn't too bad (yet...). And the airport sucks, you can only fly to a few places from here, so it's real expensive. Still, you can pretty much drive across town in 15 minutes.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Anchorage, AK (Birth-18)
    Growing up, Anchorage was a wonderful place. Good for families, smaller city. Very few national chains (at the time). I watched K-Mart, Wal-Mart and most of our chain restaurants come here while I was growing up. I've always thought of it as a big small city. You always see someone you know. Always. And there is fabulous recreation here. The city has one of the best pedestrian and recreational trail systems I've seen for a city of this size, and the front range of the Chugach is right in our backyard.

Flagstaff, AZ (18-22)
    College town (Northern Arizona University). Founded as a railroad town, and is one of the few thriving Route 66 towns. I absolutely love Flagstaff. Wonderful 4 season climate, awesome recreational opportunities (skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, among others), friendly people. The downtown is constantly improving. High cost of living, though, with very low wages I go back to visit often.

Federal Way, WA (for about 8 months after college)
    Small suburb between Seattle and Tacoma. Boring. Strip mall town. Probably my least favorite place that I've lived, but I was with relatives, so it was fun, if nothing else. Loved being able to play in Seattle, though.

Prescott, AZ (23-25)
    Small mile high town in central Arizona. AWESOME downtown surrounding the historic courthouse square. I really enjoy the historic district of Prescott and the charming victorian homes. Prescott has a well respected historic preservation program, and you can tell that they take pride in the city's history (it was the territorial capital of Arizona - twice). Whiskey Row is fun. Nice climate, always sunny, and local kayaking is available on a trio of lakes in the city. It's very accessible, as well. Only 90 minutes from Phoenix or Flagstaff, and 2 hours from the Grand Canyon. Too bad it has been overrun by suburban Californians (no offense to Cali's), so the built landscape has changed greatly since I lived there. I do like the larger diversity of people who live there now, though. It is becoming a very popular area for families.

Avondale, AZ (for about 6 months after Prescott)
    Phoenix suburb. Rural farm town experiencing the growth boom as metro Phoenix expanded to the west. Neat little town, but it looks like every other place in the Valley of the Sun now. Nothing stuck out to me there as unique - except for the farms before they were all developed. Cost of living is relatively affordable and wages are comaprably higher to other parts of the state.

Juneau, AK (25-26)
    The capital of the State of Alaska. Very rich in history, and one of the most beautiful places I have ever lived. It is strikingly scenic. It really appeals to water lovers and barfly's, but there are lots of recreational opportunities. The historic downtown is unbelieveably charming and the people are some of the most laid back I have ever met. Very resourceful people live in Juneau. They are home to the only professional theatre comany in the state, they have their own symphony, and the art scene there is awesome. Oh, and there is no road access to the place. Only plane and boat. However, the cost of living there is quite high and it rains. A lot. As in 90 inches a year, and then another 100 inches of snow. :p

Anchorage, AK (26-present)
    I love Anchorage. To me, it's home. It has changed a lot, but to me it is still a wonderful city. Crime has increased, and we have most commonplace chains that you find in the 48 states (but still no Olive Garden ). Still, we are very much dependent on, and supportive of, local business. Local Alaskan businesses and products tend to be so much better than a lot of things found at the chains. You can still go anywhere and see someone you know. And the recreational opportunities keep improving. The architecture here stands out because it's so horrific, but I suppose I'm used to it. This is definitely where my heart is
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Adult Life:
    1) Ann Arbor, MI - Lived there twice. Great college town then, good mix of town & gown. Great place to live but you don't see the rest of the country or the world very well through the lense of an academic community. Too much money there now, it has lost it's quirkiness.

2} Newport News, VA - Military town, depressing but the surrounding area is great. So much history to see and the ocean to enjoy. Just far enough south to have great native accents and cooking if you can get away from the military.

3} Stuttgart, Germany - Northern edge of Bavaria, the best part of Germany, IMHO. Easy travel to Munich as well as to the Black Forest, Austria, and beyond. I could have easily stayed there.

4} Des Moines, IA - State capitol, definitely mid-western but surprisingly endowed with cultural amenities. Too cold in the winter and too hot & humid in the summer.

5) Dallas, TX - Too much money, too little respect for history, architecture, etc. Lots of job opportunities but still a big city without much else to recommend it. Work hard, make money, live fast, get out!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    1) Appleby, Cumbria - brought up here. Small rural community (pop c.2500), Founded (I think) by the building of a fortification in 1170, when the town sprung up to service the forts inhabitants. It was almost completely ransacked by Scottish raiding parties in the 1300s, and todays population fails to match the population of the town pre-Scottish invasion. Close to the Lake District and the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Rolling countryside, green fields, woods and streams. Couldn't really have asked for a more idyllic setting to be a kid, but lacks facilities for anyone aged 14+. Soon gets boring after this age. Ageing population. Largest employer is probably agriculture, followed by tourism. Nearest 'city' - Carlisle, 30 miles north.

2) Sheffield, South Yorkshire. The Steel City. Went to Uni there, have family there too so was slightly familiar with it. Loved it. Built over a series of hills & rivers, great public parks and the locals are friendly. Got hit hard in WWII and development in the 1950s/60s was unkind. Cleaned itself up a lot lately (major regeneration investment from the European Union) and as a result has fantastic city centre public spaces (Peace Gardens, piazza outside the train station, Devonshire Green). Large creative industries sector, and volumes of disused warehousing and factories allow cheap space for people to do their creative industry-ing. Still has a reputation of being a dirty city. People there work hard, play hard and arguments are sorted on the street.

3) Blackpool, Lancashire. The UKs self proclaimed 'Premier Seaside Resort'. The UK's Coney Island/Atlantic City I guess. Horrid town, horrid people. Transient population due to seasonal nature of work in the town, venue for countless Stag and Hen Parties every weekend, and as a result can get violent. Authorities are working hard to turn it around but theres still a feeling of fading/faded/deserted grandeur.

4) Leeds, West Yorkshire. England's second largest financial centre after London. Serious lack of city centre open space. Buzzing city though, with good night time economy. Not quite the 24 hour city it would like to think it is. Nor quite as creative as it would like to think. Very good at talking itself up. Some godawful shopping malls in the centre (right location, poorly designed), providing quite a juxtaposition with the Victorian ornateness of the Victoria Quarter and Markets. Just bought a house here so i'll be stopping for a while.
    Last edited by HarryFossettsHat; 16 Jul 2008 at 4:58 AM.

1. Eastoft, South Humberside / North Lincolnshire
      A tiny place that no-one here will have heard of (I assume). When I was growing up, it had about 300 people in the village / parish. My primary school (aged 4 to 11) had a maximum (you read that right) of 35 children at anyone time. Mainly agriculture and commuters to Doncaster, Goole, Hull and Scunthorpe areas. Very egalitarion approach with millionaires rubbing shoulders with state-funded individuals with ease. It's usually the off-comers who want to involve themselves with things like the Parish COuncil. The true locals are in the local, so to speak. It's grown a lot since I lived there - I go back to the pub to visit on occasion.
    2. Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire
      Moved here for university. Probably the roughest place I have lived for any length of time. I narrowly avoided getting raped - I was on my way back from jitsu training and casually started getting weapons out of the weapons bag I baby-sat at the time. The men following me changed their minds and ran off. Someone else was raped by the same men about an hour later.
    3. Exeter, Devon
      A six month stay. Beautiful, touristy. The bits I saw were very "middle-class" (read as: just enough income to spend most of it on leisure rather than worry about food and rent) and prone to being up its own a**e. But I love it.
    4. Guildford, Surrey
      A two year stay. Desperately trying to hold on to the County Town feel but losing itself in the London commuter belt. Aspires to be as relaxed and wealthy as Exeter-type towns but has too many (locally well-known) violent incidents on the housing estates to get away with it. Never going back (except to visit family).
    5. Doncaster, South Yorkshire
      A year's stay, back in the parental household in an ex-mining village near-by. It tries, bless it, and has some nice pubs and bars for evening life. I go back every two or three months.
    6. Leamington Spa. Warwickshire
      A year's stay and it fits, image wise, somewhere between Exter and Guildford. It runs into Warwick, the true County Town, which makes much of its medieval history. Leamington Spa makes much more of the Georgian and Victorian era arcjhitecture (of which there are lots) and is essentially the place to go to shop. Without having to go into relatively near Birmingham or Coventry.
    7. Ashford, Kent
      A year's stay and a life-time of visiting relatives. If you can't say anything good, don't say it at all. The near-by villages are very picturesque but prone to much political manueovring (sp?) and back-biting.
    8. Workington, Cumbria
      Two years and counting. I like the area, although it is relatively economically depressed. It's working hard on recovering from mine and foundry closures. Not a lot to do except the outdoorsy stuff, weather permitting. Lake District is very close. It can be very rough with lots of fights and drug-dealing but it's got nothing on Stoke. Debateable whether it's more violent / problematic than Ashford or Guildford but the people are certainly friendlier. At least they talk to you!
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Neglected to put one of my favorites in previous post:

Savannah, GA - Lived there in the late '60's due to military assignment. The humidity was horrendous and the smell of papermill pervasive. Nevertheless, It is or was a beautiful old southern city with great food, great old homes, and I thoroughly enjoyed living there.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Born and raised in South Florida for 28 years, worked in Dade Co, lived in Broward and moved out of state from Pam Beach. Have been in W Mich since then. Put the two states together and you have America's handjob.

I left S Fla due to the unchecked development and 24/7 paving and bulldozing of the natural Florida.

Found the expanse of woods hills, farms lakes and rivers of W mich to be much more my style,

had to counter a lot of negativism from locals about my home state, not everyone is lazy,a partier,into drug culture,a sleaze or a con.

I have forgiven my home state for her follies and would move back if opportunity knocked. But Ii would try to keep the lake cottage in Mich. for summertime.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 51
    Last post: 10 Aug 2010, 2:52 PM
  2. Replies: 75
    Last post: 08 May 2010, 1:06 AM
  3. Feelings
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 11 May 2005, 11:54 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Oct 2003, 3:40 PM