Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban planning with a history degree?

Registered
    Jul 2008

Urban planning with a history degree?

I'm brand new to the forum and I am wondering if my degree in History, with which I will graduate in May, will keep keep me from getting into a good urban planning graduate program. On the same token, I have a minor in Business Administration. Could that help to balance the scales at all? Thanks for any feedback on my new found passion for urban planning.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't see any reason why a history degree would keep you from getting into a good program (speaking as someone with a B.A. in History).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'll ditto Bubba.

I have a BA in History and got into and graduated from the MUP program at the University of Michigan.

If your grades are good (3.0+) and you have good reference letters, you should have no problems.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I also have a BA in history and was accepted into the urban planning program at the University of Illinois at Chicago for what thats worth. I wouldn't worry about it.

Registered
    Jul 2008

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the input. Your replies are great news, i'm very much looking forward to an education and career in planning. If you all have any advice on choosing a program, obtaining financial aid, etc. it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    My undergrad degree is in history. It did not cause me any problems getting into a master's program, where I had an assistantship and graduated last year with a pretty decent gpa (3.71).

As far as advice for choosing a school -- I'm always the advocate for picking the school of the best reputation that is physically closest to where you plan to live and work. (Of course, if you can get into one of the truly national programs for little or no expense, then go for it.)

Best wishes.

Registered
    Nov 2007
    graduated with a BA in History (3.5) back in 06. Got into UCI's MURP class of 2010. Good luck!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Once you are in a graduate program, I think you will be astonished at the range of undergraduate degrees that there is among your fellow students.

For instance, at my school, I know of people with degrees in history, public policy, architecture, accounting, art, social work, nursing, photography, dance, journalism, business, biology, every type of engineering imaginable, etc...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Once you are in a graduate program, I think you will be astonished at the range of undergraduate degrees that there is among your fellow students.

For instance, at my school, I know of people with degrees in history, public policy, architecture, accounting, art, social work, nursing, photography, dance, journalism, business, biology, every type of engineering imaginable, etc...
    Dittos for the people in the MUP program at the University of Michigan.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I'll ditto Bubba.

I have a BA in History and got into and graduated from the MUP program at the University of Michigan.

If your grades are good (3.0+) and you have good reference letters, you should have no problems.
    I have a BA in History also, and I got bad grades! My GPA was around 2.4. I got my act together, got a few internships and letters of reccomendations, and then voila, I got into a great MCRP program. It is certainly possible - I think that you should focus on doing internships (even volunteer ones) for experience and letters of reccomendation.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban planning + IT degree??
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 May 2011, 10:54 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 May 2011, 10:19 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Jun 2010, 7:42 AM
  4. A haiku history of urban planning
    Friday Afternoon Club