Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: International experience

Registered
    Jul 2008

International experience

Hi!

I have an undergraduate degree in history, and am seriously considering getting a planning degree for my masters. I want to focus on planning issues in developing countries, and am looking to gain some more work experience before applying to grad schools. I just finished up my service as a Peace Corps Volunteer (in the education sector) and am now leaving America again to spend the next year in Latin America (primarily Chile and Brazil).

Does anyone know of any programs where I could work or study in planning in Latin America without actually being enrolled at any institution at the moment? I'm especially interested in Curitiba, Brazil after reading so much about it.

Thanks for any ideas!

Brie.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    K State has an MUP program. I don't know if they have any international focus though. Maybe you can enroll in a few classes to see if you like planning. UIUC has a great international planning program, but I don't know how feasible it would be to just take a course or two since it is a few states over.

Registered
    Jul 2008

not in ks!

i'm not in kansas, i actually haven't lived there for a about ten years (it's just where my parents live, so it's the only permanent address i have), and i don't want to enroll in a masters program right now, but thanks for helping out anyway!

I'm in central america at the moment, and i'm really wanting to get experience in planning focusing on issues in developing countries and emerging economies in latin america. I'm currently hoping to find work, study program, or internship in chile or brazil that would be applicable to planning!
    thanks,
    brie.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    The University of Texas (Austin) has a dual degree program with planning and Latin American Studies and I know we have several faculty interested in Curitiba. One of my classmates is actually there right now doing some research.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. International experience - Good or bad?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Oct 2013, 5:08 AM
  2. The value of experience
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Apr 2011, 3:39 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Oct 2008, 9:57 AM
  4. International experience - transportation
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2