Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: So once you're in a program

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008

So once you're in a program

How easy is it to transition from planning to landscape architecture or architecture programs within a grad school? Obviously it's going to depend somewhat on the school, but in general is this a viable option or not? If I went to my advisor after my first year in a planning program and said "I think I'm better cut out for LA/Arch" would I have to start from scratch in the new program or what? I'm still unsure how much sharing there is between the various depts.

Subquestion: For those with dual degrees, what was the admissions process like? Did you apply to both at the same time, or did you start one degree and then apply from within the school?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mobiusstrip View post
    How easy is it to transition from planning to landscape architecture or architecture programs within a grad school? Obviously it's going to depend somewhat on the school, but in general is this a viable option or not? If I went to my advisor after my first year in a planning program and said "I think I'm better cut out for LA/Arch" would I have to start from scratch in the new program or what? I'm still unsure how much sharing there is between the various depts.

Subquestion: For those with dual degrees, what was the admissions process like? Did you apply to both at the same time, or did you start one degree and then apply from within the school?
    You will have to start over from scratch, I'm afraid. LAAB accredited landscape architecture programs have a very rigid program that has very little overlap with other fields (this is to help LA students to have enough training to succeed on the LARE down the road). As a grad student you "might" be able to re-apply as a first year LA student if you are in good standing, but again, you would have to start at the very beginning (same goes for architecture school). Many MLA programs are very picky about accepting previous coursework (design or non/design) from other programs.

It's great that you are figuring this out now. Each program is different. Had I known more about LA when I was an arch student, I would have transferred directly into that program. I switched to planning, currently work as a planner/designer, and will be going back for an MLA (I am chosing not to do a dual degree with a second planning degree). As for applying to dual programs, I think most schools require you to apply to both programs separately. A double masters in planning and LA is 4 years (if you don't have a previous design degree). You typically work on your MLA first with planning electives thrown in. After your third year, you typically would do planning. Again, check with your program and speak to your advisor immediately if you have doubts.

Finally, you can't become licensed in most states unless you graduate from an LAAB accredited landscape architecture program. If your MLA progam is not licensed, you are better off looking to enroll in a different program all together.

Hope this helps.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 11:04 AM
  2. MLA program at UGA
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Jan 2008, 10:37 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jan 2006, 12:58 PM
  4. PBS Program about The Ramones