Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MLA- no undergrad exp., portfolio?

MLA- no undergrad exp., portfolio?

I have a general question about MLA programs. How many applicants, do you think, have no related undergrad experience in landscape arch? Such as a major like history or sociology, etc. Also, are these applicants then basically out of luck when an MLA program requires a portfolio?

Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by livingproof View post
    I have a general question about MLA programs. How many applicants, do you think, have no related undergrad experience in landscape arch? Such as a major like history or sociology, etc. Also, are these applicants then basically out of luck when an MLA program requires a portfolio?

Thanks.
    You don't need to have a previous design degree to be accepted into an MLA program because you will be learning design in grad school. Not all programs require a portfolio for admissions. However, I think it's better that you prepare one anyway. Include samples of your work (academic or professional) that highlight your strengths. If you have an artistic bent, include drawings, sketches, art work, graphics, etc. If you aren't artistic, I would recommend writing samples, papers, etc. Don't apply to a program just because there is no portfolio required: you may be selling yourself short. Make sure the MLA program is LAAB accredited: it will play a very big role when you can become licensed.

Students in MLA programs come from diverse backgrounds: English, Music, Philosophy, Horticulture, Architecture, etc. Most classes are small: 10-15 students on average as opposed to 40-50 planning students per graduating class. You will find alot of the landscape architecture students have different backgrounds, skills, and experiences to bring to studio.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Some MLA programs offer an extra year of study for those who do not have a BLA. This extra year is added at the beginning and usually consists of undergrad courses designed to cater to the next two years as an MLA student.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2008
    I have an unrelated BA and applied to an MLA program that required a portfolio. I included a short creative writing sample as well as documentation of a host of other crafty projects/hobbies: knitting, photography, drawings, pottery, and a few others. I was accepted into the program (although I ended up deciding on a planning program instead).

Thanks for the thoughts!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Portfolio
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Dec 2007, 9:51 PM
  2. Help with portfolio!
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Nov 2007, 9:26 AM
  3. Portfolio