Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: Greetings from the great State of Texas

Registered
    Jul 2008

Greetings from the great State of Texas

I would like to introduce myself as a new planner to Cyburbia. I have just found this great forum and I cannot believe that I have not seen this until now.

I am currently a transportation planner in the Dallas area. I am politically conservative but I tend to agree with the more progressive ideas in our planning profession.

It is important for people to know that just because a person is conservative, it doesn't mean that: A) they do not care about the environment; B) they think land developers should create homogenous communities with no character; and C) they think mass transit should remain in Europe and have no place in our United States way of life.

I am a member of CNU, ITE and APA, all of whichs have major positives and negatives, thus I have to be a member of all so I enjoy the benefits of each three.

I support transportation planning initiatives that save peoples lives and feel strongly that too many Americans die on roads! My goal in my profession is to help assist the efforts in lowering the crash rate in our country and to provide great communities to live and raise our children.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Welcome from the Queen City of the Rockies, under the Big Sky, in the Last Best Place.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2008
    Love Helena, been there a few times, stayed at the Days Inn - I would have to say that it is my favorite city in Montana

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Greetings from the Central Texas, 3 hours south of you on I-35. There are several conservative planners here on Cyburbia who also agree with some more progressive local development policies. Welcome to the mix!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by tegerault View post
    Love Helena, been there a few times, stayed at the Days Inn - I would have to say that it is my favorite city in Montana
    Oh, I am going to like you! A lot of people discount Helena for the flashier destinations - like Bozeman, Kalispell and Missoula. There is no doubt that the country is prettier in Bozeman and more things are happening in Missoula. But Helena is a great little city. Nice neighborhoods. Lot of trails. A great place for families to live. And my favorite city in Montana, as well.

If you ever make it out this way again, look me up. We'll hike Mt. Helena or grab a microbrew at the Blackfoot Brewery. Or both.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Greetings from the Florida panhandle.

Would you interested be in a transportation planner position in my neck of the woods? Seriously.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from another Dallas area planner! Welcome to the Cyburbia neighborhood!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Hello from another north Texas Cyburbian. Welcome to the forums.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Welcome from Indiana! There is a wide mix of political views on here, we all get along most of the time, haha!

Registered
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Next time I am in Montana I will look you up Otterpop, I might be heading through that way next summer.

As for Florida...right now Texas is home and it definitely has work and needs work with regards to good planning. Appreciate the offer.

Sincerely,

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from downeast Maine!

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Welcome from Alaska, the great land
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from a, shall we say, not so conservative planner in Central Texas! Don't worry, you're among friends regardless of the politics!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Welcome from a, shall we say, not so conservative planner in Central Texas! Don't worry, you're among friends regardless of the politics!

He said it better than I could!

Welcome!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Feb 2013, 3:28 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 23 Jun 2008, 2:20 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Oct 2006, 2:32 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Apr 2006, 11:14 AM