Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The best way to answer these interview questions?

Registered
    Jul 2008

The best way to answer these interview questions?

I've got interviews for some jobs as a student/graduate planner (working for councils) coming up and i've been thinking about what types of questions i'll be asked and what i should be focussing on when answering these questions.

If i get asked about the major planning issues in that local area what types of things should i focus on?

What is the best way to answer a question about dealing with a bad customer?

How should i answer a question about my time management skills?

What are some good questions for me to ask them?

Any other tips?

I know these questions look pretty straight forward, but any tips are much appreciated and hopefully will give me an edge over the others.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Honestly and with as much conviction as you can muster. If you don't know the answer, don't try and make one up. You will get more respect if you just say "I don't know," or "I haven't encountered a situation like that before".

As far as time management and dealing with a bad customer, provide examples of how you successfully handled difficult situations in your past job or during your school experience.

As far as major planning issues in the local area, take the time to arrive a couple of hours early and drive around the town if you are not familiar with the area. If you are unable to do this, look at their comprehensive plan. This can help you get an idea of what the local planning issues are.

As far as what to ask them, think about what is important to you. Things you might want to ask about:

Number of staff members and who does what.
    The "boss's" management style.
    Is flex time available?
    A clear explination of what tasks you will be expected to perform.
    Ask them what they see as issues and how they are looking to solve them.
    The local political environment.
    Interaction between the staff, City/County Administrator, Council, and/or Planning Commission.

Registered
    Jul 2008
    Thanks a lot. That is some great advice.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by north sydney View post
    Any other tips?
    A general one: try to get interviewing tips from people who are local to the area in which you are interviewing. What works in my region may not necessarily work in yours, and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interview questions
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Jul 2008, 5:39 PM
  2. Replies: 58
    Last post: 03 Apr 2008, 7:37 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 27 Oct 2004, 12:49 PM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last post: 27 Jun 2003, 7:45 PM