Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Population projection or environmental sociology?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

Population projection or environmental sociology?

Hey everyone! I am going to be a 5th year senior in a planning program. I am double majoring in planning and sociology.

In both of my programs, the advisors are less than stellar (putting it lightly). This upcoming semester, I am split which class to take. I have two options and only have room for one.

The first is Environmental Sociology. This is offered in the fall and *may* be offered in the spring, but the department can't guarantee anything to me. The description is below:

Environment-society relations; social construction of nature and the environment; social and environmental impacts of resource extraction, production, and consumption; environmental inequality; environmental mobilization and movements; U.S. and international examples.

The second is Population and Society. This is only offered in the fall. The description is below:

Human population growth and structure; impact on food, environment, and resources; gender issues; trends of births, deaths, and migration; projecting future
    population; population policies and laws; comparison of the United States with other societies throughout the world.

These are both sociology classes. I am at a crossroads and I'm not sure which would be more beneficial to my soon-to-be career in planning. I can definitely see the benefit of the population class but as the environment is becoming such a hot topic, I'm hesitant to pass up the environmental class.

Help?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    I studied both topics as part of human geography!

Am also a little surprised that the environmental sociology course doesn't take up population issues including population forecasting... this must be one of the concerns of sustainable management/development - of both the environment and the society. But do I get a sneaking suspicion that this course is about people's collective view of the natural world, how the "green movement" grew and is affecting policy and economic development?

From your descriptions of the courses Population and Society does include some natural resource/environment issues, and seems to have more practical content (population forecasting). The gender issue section could be very enlightening and stimulating, especially if you get into international comparisons.

Personally I'd go for Population and Society first, then hope that Environmental Sociology is offere in the spring.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by cindyg86 View post
    Hey everyone! I am going to be a 5th year senior in a planning program. I am double majoring in planning and sociology.

In both of my programs, the advisors are less than stellar (putting it lightly). This upcoming semester, I am split which class to take. I have two options and only have room for one.

The first is Environmental Sociology. This is offered in the fall and *may* be offered in the spring, but the department can't guarantee anything to me. The description is below:

Environment-society relations; social construction of nature and the environment; social and environmental impacts of resource extraction, production, and consumption; environmental inequality; environmental mobilization and movements; U.S. and international examples.

The second is Population and Society. This is only offered in the fall. The description is below:

Human population growth and structure; impact on food, environment, and resources; gender issues; trends of births, deaths, and migration; projecting future
    population; population policies and laws; comparison of the United States with other societies throughout the world.

These are both sociology classes. I am at a crossroads and I'm not sure which would be more beneficial to my soon-to-be career in planning. I can definitely see the benefit of the population class but as the environment is becoming such a hot topic, I'm hesitant to pass up the environmental class.

Help?
    Soon-to-be career in planning? Are you planning on graduate school?

I would say, in the long run, which course will make very little difference. The second class seems a little more numbers/methods oriented, so perhaps that's a bit more applicable. I'd choose the one that has the least overlap with what you've already studied.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I would go with population & society, but I'm a numbers guy that loves demography.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    have you taken courses that were similar to either of those proposed?

fwiw, i would take the class that sounds more interesting to you. you're more likely to pay attention in it and get more out of it if it is of interest.

is one taught by a prof who you prefer over the other? or do you have a better relationship with one of the profs? you may need a reference from one of them someday so if you know that Prof. X likes you and here's another chance to work with them, then I'd go with that class.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. An urban planning related job with sociology BA?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 May 2011, 10:43 AM
  2. Sociology vs planning
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Feb 2010, 9:53 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 23 Oct 2007, 8:46 PM
  4. Population projection programs?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5