Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sources of financial support

Registered
    Jul 2008

Sources of financial support

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I am in the process of applying for graduate schools in Urban and Environmental Planning. My question addresses possible avenues for obtaining grants, fellowships, scholarships, etc. to finance school. I am two years deep in student loans and am hoping to avoid further debt. Thanks for any feedback

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by HSnellings View post
    As mentioned in an earlier thread, I am in the process of applying for graduate schools in Urban and Environmental Planning. My question addresses possible avenues for obtaining grants, fellowships, scholarships, etc. to finance school. I am two years deep in student loans and am hoping to avoid further debt. Thanks for any feedback
    Pick your school wisely. Some offer more than others.

I'll be at Rutgers, and among the various forms of aid I've got:

Federal Stafford Loans - same as you likely had in undergrad
    Tuition Remission - can be for any amount. Nice because it's not a dollar figure, it comes right off your bottom line. As someone else mentioned, good for tax purposes.
    Grants/Fellowships/Scholarships - Again, like undergraduate. At Rutgers at least, it appears they've got fellowships in various academic tracks. I've got one for transportation - a strong case for stating your academic interest in your letter of intent when applying.
    I've also got funding for employment in my second year, which appears to work in a similar manner as Work Study aid does during your undergraduate years (ie, the funding is there, you've got to find the work)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Don't forget that APA and many other allied organizations offer scholarships. Planning is so multi-disciplinary that I'll bet a wide spectrum of organizations would consider your application depending on what you were interested in studying. Check your local, state and national chapters of these organizations.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Letters of recommendation: best sources?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 May 2010, 11:48 AM
  2. Sources of landscape symbols
    Information Technology
    Last post: 23 Jan 2008, 10:10 AM
  3. Land use planning sources
    Land Use and Zoning
    Last post: 19 Oct 2005, 12:14 PM
  4. Planning Law sources