Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Other Duties As Assigned... (Non-planning)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Any Other Duties As Assigned... (Non-planning)

I did a thread search just now and found a serious thread regarding "Other Duties as Assigned" but thought a wacky FAC thread for other, non-planning duties would be warranted.

Sometimes it is not just sign pulling, plan review or code writing. Some of these duties include mundane tasks such as: coffee making, lunch getting, picture hanging, toilet scrubbing, etc.

Here are my latest, keep in mind that I work in a very small town with a very small staff:

-Irrigation repair. Our irrigation and landscape guy has been out sick for a couple weeks, so I volunteered to help the public works guys (all 2 of them) in fixing the wacky sprinklers in the park. Consequently, the park is next to my house and where I take my dogs so I changed the watering times so that we don't get soaked in the middle of the day. A quick repair of a couple sprinklers and a reprogramming of the run times and we were good to go.

-In light of my grounds maintenance duties this morning, the town manager poped in and stated a desire for my obtaining of a CDL (commercial drivers license) to maybe fill in on plowing snow in the winter. Kind of exciting, but if this happens I would regret the call recieved at 3:30am on a Monday to go out and plow...

We shall see.

What say you all?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    In light of my grounds maintenance duties this morning, the town manager poped in and stated a desire for my obtaining of a CDL (commercial drivers license) to maybe fill in on plowing snow in the winter. Kind of exciting, but if this happens I would regret the call recieved at 3:30am on a Monday to go out and plow...

We shall see.

What say you all?
    Mr. Plow Rap
    Homer: Boom-chi-ca-boom-chi-ca-boom-chi-boom
    I'm Mr. Plow, and I'm here to say,
    I'm the plowin'est guy in the USA.
    I got a big plow and I'll move a lot of things,
    Like your cow if you have one.

Mr. Plow jingle
    Homer: Call Mr. Plow,
    That's my name,
    That name again is Mr. Plow!

Plow King jingle
    Linda Ronstadt: When the snow starts a-fallin',
    There's a man you should be callin',
    That's KL5-4796, let it ring!
    Mr. Plow is a loser,
    And I think he is a boozer,
    Barney & Linda: So you better make that call to the Plow King!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MrPlow.jpg  
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Mr. Plow Rap
    Homer: Boom-chi-ca-boom-chi-ca-boom-chi-boom
    I'm Mr. Plow, and I'm here to say,
    I'm the plowin'est guy in the USA.
    I got a big plow and I'll move a lot of things,
    Like your cow if you have one.

Mr. Plow jingle
    Homer: Call Mr. Plow,
    That's my name,
    That name again is Mr. Plow!

Plow King jingle
    Linda Ronstadt: When the snow starts a-fallin',
    There's a man you should be callin',
    That's KL5-4796, let it ring!
    Mr. Plow is a loser,
    And I think he is a boozer,
    Barney & Linda: So you better make that call to the Plow King!
    Off-topic:

Senor Plow, no es macho
    y solomente un borracho...

Ofos rocks!!!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Off-topic:

Senor Plow, no es macho
    y solomente un borracho...

Ofos rocks!!!
    Gracias, amigo. Por seguro, es verdad.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Why just this week I got to:

Ran cable for IT
    Had backup keys made for 4 new cars
    Took one car to the repair shop
    Replaced a door between lobby area and Bldg. Insp.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I translate Spanish-English for the Dragon Lady's nanny to her granddaughter and handyman.

I cleaned the office today because the cleaning lady didn't show up.

I am the nominated resident techie (I am not really though) and get called to troubleshoot internet/email and other issues at the Dragon Lady's office in Washington, D.C.

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    At the small-town PD position I held several years ago, I was the acting IT director, not to mention assisting the police department at crime scenes; stringing up police line tape and the like.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't recall ever having to perform any unusual functions but I once assigned the task of sweeping our parking lot to a former transportation planner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00262.jpg   DSC00263.jpg  

Registered
    Jun 2007
    When I started, my department had just moved offices, so my first week was spent building furniture.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I reckon that I painted my office on the second day I started.

I also set up a couple chairs and printers.

I have also been in charge of finding the new copier lease as well.

OH and I have been the dog catcher a couple times. (Once it was my dog... )

-Peart

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Does turning on the Christmas lights every evening count?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Is dispute settler or trivia answerer considered an other duty?

Maister, I'm writing my wife a poem for her birthday and need a word that rhymes with 'buzzard'

Maister, isn't it true that Rod Steward once got arrested for exposing himself to a group of males while intoxicated and handcuffed to a light post?

Maister, who wrote that song that's playing on the radio now?

Maister, who actually told the applicant that walked into the office on March 3, 2000 they had to get a variance?

Maister, who the heck was Eugene Debs?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

In Kentucky, the judge executive-the person who runs county government-can marry people. I got called down to witness several weddings. Wonder if both couples are still married?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    ^^ l witnessed the signing of someone's last will.

He wanted to get this squared away before moving to .... Iowa? sorry TOFB

-Peart

Registered
    Jul 2007
    During my stint in Florida, all the planners were on the EOC (emergency operations center) team and could be called in to work the call center in case of emergency (i.e. Hurricane). The reason...we knew the city/roads really well and could help make maps for the crews.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Making coffee for the county commissioners during a public hearing...when I was supposed to be taking notes for the boss. I did it once, I did it bad, they never ordered me to do it again.

I was told in a west FL county I would have to drive a station wagon full of McDonald's hamburgers to shelters druing hurricanes. Right. With a baby. I declined to answer my phone, but my boss was warned ahead of time.

And the etermal question: why do the women in any agency organize all the baby showers, retirement parties, monthly lunches, etc? I did a ton of those, every single place I worked. All the guys did, was show up and eat so much food, if you weren't first in line, you didn't get food.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    During my stint in Florida, all the planners were on the EOC (emergency operations center) ....
    I don't think that's so unusual. I'm assigned to the EOC here and have been at the last 3 jobs I've held (each outside of Florida). In my current job, I'm in a tier of employees that are prohibited from leaving the county when the next hurricane hits and must return to work 12 hours after the storm passes. I'm assigned to damage assessment. Because our home is not in an evacuation zone, a couple of colleagues will be hunkering down here while ZG and her son evacuate. The dudes just better bring their own beer and wine. I'm not hitting the cellar for anyone....unless, of course, we're all gonna die; them I'm opening up the good stuff.

This reminds me, I need to call the propane company to have them fill the tank for the generator.

(114)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    And the etermal question: why do the women in any agency organize all the baby showers, retirement parties, monthly lunches, etc?
    Off-topic:
    How can I put this gently yet succinctly? Maybe because you wouldn't have any of those events if it were left up to men who really don't give a sh*t but will come if there is a) food and b) an opportunity to make an early exit. But then you already knew the answer to that rhetorical question, didn't you?

On topic: Always made it a practice to work within my job description unless there was a personal benefit derived.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How can I put this gently yet succinctly? Maybe because you wouldn't have any of those events if it were left up to men who really don't give a sh*t but will come if there is a) food and b) an opportunity to make an early exit. But then you already knew the answer to that rhetorical question, didn't you?
    May I be so bold to add?... c) flirt and look at the planner babes.

Oh wait, never mind. Planners babes are, well, how shall I put this delicately, few and far between...scarce as hen's teeth....worthless as ----....

(113)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Off-topic:

On topic: Always made it a practice to work within my job description unless there was a personal benefit derived.
    It makes me want to be in a position of power where I can tell a guy or guys, plan this party, and see if they can come up with anything more than chicken wings at Hooters.... Yeah, I know, it'd be a challenge...

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I don't think that's so unusual. I'm assigned to the EOC here and have been at the last 3 jobs I've held (each outside of Florida). (114)
    I have never seen a job description for a planner that includes EOC duties...most people would think fire, police and public works-types would do that primarily. At my new job I was telling my boss about being on the EOC team and she said to 'not tell the city manager about that because it made so much sense, but she didn't want our planning department to have those kind of responsibilities'

A fun non-planner duty that I used to do was ride on the fire department's santa sleigh every december thru-out the city and throw out candy to the kids in the neighborhoods. The fire cheif was dressed as Santa, and we were his elves.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have never seen a job description for a planner that includes EOC duties...most people would think fire, police and public works-types would do that primarily. At my new job I was telling my boss about being on the EOC team and she said to 'not tell the city manager about that because it made so much sense, but she didn't want our planning department to have those kind of responsibilities'

A fun non-planner duty that I used to do was ride on the fire department's santa sleigh every december thru-out the city and throw out candy to the kids in the neighborhoods. The fire cheif was dressed as Santa, and we were his elves.
    Of course the job description doesn't say "hurricane duty". But in 3 of my last 4 jobs in central FL, it became apparent that was a requirement. Another "duties as assigned". I've spent a weekend charting lake levels during a hurricane, while friends/evacuees were partying in my town house. It sucked.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have never seen a job description for a planner that includes EOC duties...most people would think fire, police and public works-types would do that primarily. At my new job I was telling my boss about being on the EOC team and she said to 'not tell the city manager about that because it made so much sense, but she didn't want our planning department to have those kind of responsibilities'......
    In fact, that's totally "irresponsible" not to engage in damage assessment and recovery from an event, whether it's a flood, earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disaster. My jaw is on the floor. I don't know how else to respond.

(Bad math, PWI...120 or so)

Off-topic:
    Hot tub...my bones are cooked.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Our new ED Manager from Seattle by way of the OC spent her first two days sandbagging.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I am simply saying that planners in my new location are considered 'non essential' as opposed 'essential'. Of course in the face of a large disaster in the area we would help...anyone would! I worked all 3 of the hurricanes of 2004 in central florida and glad I could help my community.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. New duties
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 1:42 PM
  2. Variances Administrative duties
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Apr 2013, 9:10 AM