Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Should I bring up that I will be starting an internship in an interview?

Registered
    Feb 2015

Should I bring up that I will be starting an internship in an interview?

So I will be starting an internship next week and have two interviews before starting the internship. Should I bring up that I will be starting an internship in the interviews? The interviews are for professional positions.

If I do bring up the internship how should I do it? Or should I wait to see if I get an offer first before bringing up the internship.

To help clarify my situation, I am a 2014 graduate so I am done with course works and academic requirements. I accepted the internship to gain experience and in hoping of landing a position with the additional experience. The agency willing offered the internship knowing that I am done with school.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Nope.

Presumably the internship supervisors are professionals who would understand the need to leave to accept a real-life paid gig. The HR and interviewers on the real jobs might view your disclosure as proof that you aren't serious about working for them.

If you think about it, it's almost like mentioning that you're volunteering at a soup kitchen during work hours. Not germane, just gives them a reason to cull you from the herd of applicants.

Quote Originally posted by vangad View post
    The agency willing offered the internship knowing that I am done with school.

Well that is a big surprise. Good luck with the interviews. Don't bring up the internship unless asked. And don't be afraid to ditch the internship it if ever interferes with your paid career.

Internships are excellent way to gain experience but be weary of ones that are really looking for free/cheap work by taking advantage of desperate recent grads.
    The content contrarian

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    I once interviewed someone for an internship position and at the end of the interview, that person told us he already had an internship lined up that he was fully intending to take up - because it paid well and was more in his area of interest. That annoyed the heck out of me. Not just because it was wasting our time, but also that that interview spot could have gone to someone else.

Your case is different since you are interviewing for proper positions. As the others have advised, don't mention the internship at all. The ones with whom you will be interning with should understand and in fact be happy for you if you need to leave them to take up a full time professional position. They should expect that since you graduated last year, of course you are looking for a full time permanent position and interning in the interim.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Work sample question - to bring or not to bring
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Jan 2013, 12:40 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Jan 2010, 12:23 PM
  3. Interview advice for public sector internship
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Jul 2008, 11:11 AM