Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15

Thread: Lowest salaries for planning jobs that you've seen

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Just so I can understand, what is your beef with Ohio? Is it that we ONLY are the 7th largest state? Is it that we have such good football teams? It couldn't be our State Rock Song "Hang on Sloopy". Is it Neil Armstrong or Thomas Edison? The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I bet it is the Amish. Maybe it is airplanes? You don't like that we invented a way to flyover our state? Or is it that we perfected the chili dog? The best roller coaster park in the United States? I bet it is all our culture and activity.

I am just confused as to why you think living in Ohio is living in the middle of nowhere. Because, ummm, it isn't.

Ps. There are some pretty cool places in the United States that aren't NYC or Chicago. I would argue planning in these other places is better than NYC or Chicago, or LA. Your experience in NYC will be very different than in Kentucky. Or Missouri. Or Alabama. Or New Mexico. Or Kansas. I would guess those planners in the "middle of nowhere" do much more good for the general welfare of residents on a daily basis, than any plan reviewer in department 541 of NYC Planning.

Alright I am off my high horse now. Carry on with your hatred of the Midwest.
    Haha months later and I just saw this lol.

I agree with your assessment about doing better work for the general welfare outside of big cities. Your comment about NYC DCP is spot on (they are so ineffectual at actual PLANNING rather than Zoning it makes me want to pull my hair out) but I stand by what I think about Ohio. I will never live or work there.

I dont hate the midwest, just Ohio. I love Michigan and Minnesota.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    I dont hate the midwest, just Ohio. I love Michigan and Minnesota.
    Well as long as you are logical
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    I don't hate the midwest, just Urban Meyer. I love Michigan and Minnesota.
    Fixed that for you.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Check the last post on the Jobs Board. A department of one.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Apr 2014
    Cheboygan County is currently recruiting for a Planner to fill an opening in the department. This is a full-time position with responsibilities that include: Assisting with amendments to the Master Plan, seeking compliance with Part 91 Soil Erosion and Sedimentation laws, preparing zoning amendments, and conducting special planning studies. Assist with maintaining, administering, and enforcing adopted land-use codes; reviewing and approving zoning permits; reviewing commercial site plans, special use permits, and variances; conducting planning outreach to the townships; and representing the County at Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings.

Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Community Planning or a degree in a closely-related field from an accredited college or university and prefer a minimum of one year related work experience; a thorough knowledge of planning and enforcement principles, state planning laws, and computer mapping. Must be able to obtain Comprehensive Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Certification within 6 months.

Starting Wage: $16.78/hour. Cheboygan County offers a comprehensive benefits package including one-person medical insurance coverage and a comprehensive retirement program.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Lowland View post
    Cheboygan County is currently recruiting for a Planner to fill an opening in the department. This is a full-time position with responsibilities that include: Assisting with amendments to the Master Plan, seeking compliance with Part 91 Soil Erosion and Sedimentation laws, preparing zoning amendments, and conducting special planning studies. Assist with maintaining, administering, and enforcing adopted land-use codes; reviewing and approving zoning permits; reviewing commercial site plans, special use permits, and variances; conducting planning outreach to the townships; and representing the County at Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings.

Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Community Planning or a degree in a closely-related field from an accredited college or university and prefer a minimum of one year related work experience; a thorough knowledge of planning and enforcement principles, state planning laws, and computer mapping. Must be able to obtain Comprehensive Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Certification within 6 months.

Starting Wage: $16.78/hour. Cheboygan County offers a comprehensive benefits package including one-person medical insurance coverage and a comprehensive retirement program.
    But the actual workload is probably pretty light. There's likely not much going on in the County, unless you're doing planning review for the City as well...maybe it increases a tad.

Also, you can buy a nice house in the City for $40,000 dollars.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    May 2006
    Send me links to these low paying jobs please. Im young and will take what I can get :p

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    To add to this thread: I was offered a planning department head position in a rural eastern Montana county a few years ago. You know, right in the middle of the bakken oil field nonsense. Their offer? 40,000 when their community's median housing was set around $400k. I got a slightly better offer even deeper into the bakken oil fields via City of Wiliston for 50,000 with subsidized housing - and I took it... only to change my mind and head back towards civilization.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Cheboygan County offers a comprehensive benefits package including one-person medical insurance coverage and a comprehensive retirement program.
    Inconceivable for me as my current insurance covers myself, spouse and 2 kids. Even if houses were free it wouldn't pencil.

Registered
    Mar 2007

Quote Originally posted by bentobox34 View post
    Inconceivable for me as my current insurance covers myself, spouse and 2 kids. Even if houses were free it wouldn't pencil.
    Yeah, the rest of that listing really didn't seem too bad to me based on the region, cost of living, 1-year of work experience, and potential workload, but that insurance covering just the employee was something I had never seen before. Especially from a government employer.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    May 2017
    Here's one I've run across this week.

Transportation Planner - RCRPC Planner III

Richland County Regional Planning Commission

The Richland County Regional Planning Commission is a transportation and land use planning organization that also serves as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Richland County, Ohio. This is an entry level position to lead and assist in the collection, analysis and reporting of data in support of the work of the Regional Planning Commission and the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)

Essential functions of this Job include: Act as lead planner in Regional Transit Planning activities Responsible for collecting and analyzing data for various systems / programs for regional transportation, land use and comprehensive planning Assist in maintaining required documents of the MPO (Prospectus/LRTP/TIP) Collaborates with outside agencies and organizations to coordinate and complete projects that increase accessibility and mobility Write and/or revise reports and plans, create visual aids in form of maps, charts, etc. to communicate the work of the MPO and RCRPC.

The qualified individual will need to have: Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of regional transportation planning. Ability to make informed professional recommendations and develop innovative approaches and ideas Effective graphic, verbal, numeric and written communication skills Comfortable in the use of Geographic Information System (GIS) software (preferably ESRI products), use of office software (preferably Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, GIS or a related field is preferred. 1-2 years of related relevant experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and abilities required to perform the job.
    Starting Yearly Salary Range - $30,000 - $36,000 based on experience Complete benefits– OPERS retirement, health/dental/vision insurance, vacation, sick leave, life insurance Full Time - 35 Hour work week

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by freeyoke View post

The Richland County Regional Planning Commission is a transportation and land use planning organization that also serves as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Richland County, Ohio. This is an entry level position to lead and assist in the collection, analysis and reporting of data in support of the work of the Regional Planning Commission and the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)...

Starting Yearly Salary Range - $30,000 - $36,000 based on experience Complete benefits– OPERS retirement, health/dental/vision insurance, vacation, sick leave, life insurance Full Time - 35 Hour work week
    This is another example of a starting salary really not being too terrible when you take into account the cost of living and the income figures in the particular region. I've been through that area quite a bit over the years and judging by a quick search of some recent figures, that salary range would put the employee well above the area's PCI and they should easily be able to afford housing there or just about anywhere in the surrounding counties.

However... $30k - $36k as a range doesn't sound like it's leaving too much room for growth. If I were an applicant, I'd be sure to ask about opportunities for advancement/promotions or I'd just be coming into the position looking at it as a stepping stone to another agency, private firm, or a larger community. This is where it would be important to ask the interviewer the, "How long was my predecessor in this position? Where are they now?" questions.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

HA!

Yeah...ok. Since the rest of Ohio is getting shafted on salary this may look ok....but DON'T Call it a Planner III Since when is a Planner III "entry level?"

Quote Originally posted by freeyoke View post

The Richland County Regional Planning Commission is a transportation and land use planning organization that also serves as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Richland County, Ohio. This is an entry level position to lead and assist in the collection, analysis and reporting of data in support of the work of the Regional Planning Commission and the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)

Essential functions of this Job include: Act as lead planner in Regional Transit Planning activities Responsible for collecting and analyzing data for various systems / programs for regional transportation, land use and comprehensive planning Assist in maintaining required documents of the MPO (Prospectus/LRTP/TIP) Collaborates with outside agencies and organizations to coordinate and complete projects that increase accessibility and mobility Write and/or revise reports and plans, create visual aids in form of maps, charts, etc. to communicate the work of the MPO and RCRPC.

The qualified individual will need to have: Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of regional transportation planning. Ability to make informed professional recommendations and develop innovative approaches and ideas Effective graphic, verbal, numeric and written communication skills Comfortable in the use of Geographic Information System (GIS) software (preferably ESRI products), use of office software (preferably Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, GIS or a related field is preferred. 1-2 years of related relevant experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and abilities required to perform the job.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Yeah...ok. Since the rest of Ohio is getting shafted on salary this may look ok....but DON'T Call it a Planner III Since when is a Planner III "entry level?"
    EXACTLY! I was thinking the same thing! What is a Planner 1, then? The person who shines everyone's shoes and gets the office coffee and donuts? Is Planner II a step up where you get to do menial data entry or man the front desk?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2007
    In these parts, Planner III would generally be the entry level position, then you would move up to Planner II, Planner I, Planner, and Senior Planner. I always thought it was backwards that the "III" would be the lowest position in the series.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

+ Reply to thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15

More at Cyburbia

1. lowest paid europlanning jobs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Apr 2012, 8:57 PM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 27 Apr 2010, 12:52 PM