Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowest salaries for planning jobs that you've seen

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    This gets me thinking about who takes those jobs in Colorado resort communities (Vail Valley, Aspen/Pitkin County, etc) where the pay looks well on paper, but it's nowhere near enough to account for the astronomical cost of housing. I asked someone about this at an APA Colorado state conference years ago, and was told that it was expected applicants would be those who were recent college graduates with very wealthy parents.
    I just saw an article that said the average house price in Aspen was over 2 million dollars. It would be nice if planning jobs paid a set % of the local housing price. If your average house was $200,000 you would make $50,000. If it is $2,000,000 you would make $500,000!!

I just saw an opening in a tiny resort community near my parents' house that start at $52,000. You would be inspecting septic systems too but that's a really good salary!
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    I just saw an article that said the average house price in Aspen was over 2 million dollars. It would be nice if planning jobs paid a set % of the local housing price. If your average house was $200,000 you would make $50,000. If it is $2,000,000 you would make $500,000!!

I just saw an opening in a tiny resort community near my parents' house that start at $52,000. You would be inspecting septic systems too but that's a really good salary!
    Aspen, Crested Butte, Mountain Village all have this problem. The people who work there can't afford to live there. That is why they all drive a pretty decent amount to get there and get a great benefit package to make it livable.

============

The salary survey is always an interesting piece to use as support as it really isn't very accurate. If you looked at it from a purely statistical perspective it is worthless. They have too many variables and a MUCH too small sample size.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Aspen, Crested Butte, Mountain Village all have this problem. The people who work there can't afford to live there. That is why they all drive a pretty decent amount to get there and get a great benefit package to make it livable.

============

The salary survey is always an interesting piece to use as support as it really isn't very accurate. If you looked at it from a purely statistical perspective it is worthless. They have too many variables and a MUCH too small sample size.
    The average home price may be $2 mill but if your single or DINKS and perhaps willing to have a roommate its doable.

Registered
    Mar 2010
    Dead (or dying) thread, I know - but saw this gem for a CP-II with 2 years planning experience and A M.U.R.P. MINIMUM on the APA site -

Job Category Land-Use Management and Code Enforcement
    Job Level Mid I (1-4 years)
    Salary Range $42,744 - $54,800 yr
    AICP Certification Not Required

Now, for something that starts at 42G's for a CP-II and requires a Master's in a 115,000-person suburb where their own website states - "County Seat to Johnson County, one of the wealthiest counties in the United States"......

....have things really gotten THAT bad economically?? That you can pay THAT little and require THAT much and still get suckers....errrrr.....I meant, "applicants" for the position??

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I saw a posting yesterday for a Planning Director position in Fairfield County, CT at 50k.

It's amazing what somre of the wealthiest towns in this state pay their planners.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It is telling for the times. Although it kills me to say it, many places CAN get people for less with MUCH more education.

We are expendable. Our budgets are expendable.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2005
    If you saw the posting that I saw, then it's kind of a strange position. It sounds like they want someone who is both a clerk to the boards AND a department director, all for $50k. They also want an AICP.

And this is the only full time gig listed for the entire state. Stuff like this makes me question whether or not this is even a legit profession these days.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    I made $20,800/yr at my last job. After two years, I got them to give me a raise up to $27,000 when they could tell I was ready to quit. They never seemed to have made the connection that I won over $1 million worth of grants for them and maybe I was worth a little more than $13/hr.

I finally quit in Feb. and went to the private sector.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jshuston View post
    I made $20,800/yr at my last job. After two years, I got them to give me a raise up to $27,000 when they could tell I was ready to quit. They never seemed to have made the connection that I won over $1 million worth of grants for them and maybe I was worth a little more than $13/hr.

I finally quit in Feb. and went to the private sector.
    Ouch. Was it for a planner 1 position, or planning assistant? I assume that was considered full time?

Registered
    Jan 2011
    I was full time and worked under the Borough Enginner. I did everything associated with the Planning Commission, reviewed every Subdivision and Land Development Plan, met with developers, did all the GIS mapping, wrote and tracked our grants, filled out Highway Occupany Permit applications for municipal utility work on state roads, compiled construction specs, attended every Council meeting (unpaid), organized and ran our 14 hour long 4th of July celebration, sorted and counted parking meter money...

It was when they asked me to update our Comprehensive Plan from 1965 for $10.50/hour that I finally snapped.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by jshuston View post
    It was when they asked me to update our Comprehensive Plan from 1965 for $10.50/hour that I finally snapped.
    Considering 1965 was the date of their comprehensive plan, I would say you're better off without them. That sounds like it was a brutal job, best of luck in the future.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    It was a good place to cut my teeth and learn how to do more than a little bit of everything...and I thank them for it.

But now I am happy that I have my own office, a better salary, and my dog running down the hall to play with my branch manager.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I've been seeing Town Manager positions in the low 40s lately. This recession has really hammered salaries across the board.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I've been seeing Town Manager positions in the low 40s lately. This recession has really hammered salaries across the board.
    ....and the race to the bottom continues. In other words, take on massive stress and responsibilities for a salary at or below that of a clerk.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    ....and the race to the bottom continues. In other words, take on massive stress and responsibilities for a salary at or below that of a clerk.
    These were in rural towns where the stress level is probably pretty low... but still.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    These were in rural towns where the stress level is probably pretty low... but still.
    sorry, hill, but I do not believe the level of stress varies by population.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Just popped up on APA in the last few days... Carl Junction, MO.

The qualifications for the position require the successful applicant to possess a Master’s OR Bachelor’s degree in Urban/Regional Planning or related field. Previous professional experience and/or experience with CDBG, MoDOT, EDA, Comprehensive Planning, Transportation Planning, or Community Development will warrant special consideration.

HSTCC offers competitive salary and excellent benefits. The anticipated salary for this position ranges from $25,000 to $35,000 based on experience, education, communication skills, and relative credentials. HSTCC provides health insurance benefits.
    $9.85/hour is competitive for college graduates?

Registered
    Dec 2010

Now THAT is a slap in the face.

I made more money than that in high school!!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I made more money than that delivering pizza in the 1980s.

Have to pay me a lot more than that to put up with the antics that's likely in a place with a name like "Carl Junction". Probably a Town Next Door.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

I think your math is off. $9.85/hr would mean a 49 hour work week at $25,000 no?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I think your math is off. $9.85/hr would mean a 49 hour work week at $25,000 no?
    You're correct. I should have written $12.02. Not sure where $9.85 came from!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    That's still an insult to anyone with a decent intelligence. Makes me very glad I finally got the heck out of planning after I was laid off a second time earlier last year.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Oct 2009

You'll make more starting out at Enterprise Rent-a-Car
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Check out the latest Pensacola ad. Master's - starting at 23K!

Registered
    Mar 2012
    I applied to a position in New Smryna Beach (that's in FL too) and it was only $18/hr. Looked like no benefits. Ahhh! Sorta wondering why I got a Masters Degree right now

+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. lowest paid europlanning jobs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Apr 2012, 9:57 PM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 27 Apr 2010, 1:52 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Aug 2008, 1:13 PM
  4. Replies: 15