Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Pursuing masters in planning

Registered
    Aug 2008

Pursuing masters in planning

Hello all,

I realize this question has probably been asked quite a few times by now, but I'm debating whether or not I should attend graduate school. I'm entering my senior year of undergraduate work (BA in Geography w. concentration in Urban and Regional Planning) and debating whether or not I should try and find a job right after graduation or going right to graduate school in the fall of 2009.

If I attend graduate school, I have been looking at the programs at BU and UMass Amherst, if anyone could give me feedback about those programs would be helpful?

Last question, I'm going to start studying for the GRE's when I get back to school in a month, but I'm curious as to when I should actually take the test and as to how long it would take to get my results.

Any help would truly be appreciated, Thanks!

Registered
    May 2008
    I've heard your results are mailed about 15 days after you take the GRE.

Also, I'm taking two years off before grad school, and I think it's been a good experience. It had helped me refine my sense of what I want to do, and I've developed some pretty valuable skills and connections. Not to mention that I get to live without responsibility for two years...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    you get your GRE's immediately after taking the test. Your writing score comes later.

Also, I don't see why you can't do both. Apply for school in the winter, apply for jobs in the spring/summer. If you find a job that you are interested in, or your graduate options are underwhelming, take the job. If you get a full ride at some school, go to grad school.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by manzell View post
    you get your GRE's immediately after taking the test. Your writing score comes later.

Also, I don't see why you can't do both. Apply for school in the winter, apply for jobs in the spring/summer. If you find a job that you are interested in, or your graduate options are underwhelming, take the job. If you get a full ride at some school, go to grad school.

That is essentially what I plan to do.

But if you are looking at UMass and BU, you should know that BU is not an APA-accredited program. While I don't know anything specifically about BU's program, my experience with non-accredited graduate programs has not been good. Maybe you should look at Tufts instead if you are looking at lower-tiered (i.e. not Harvard or MIT) schools in Massachusetts.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Oct 2013, 7:57 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Sep 2009, 6:05 AM
  3. What else can I do with a masters in planning?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Jul 2009, 1:31 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 Jun 2006, 7:01 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Mar 2000, 11:48 PM