Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Where's the entry level jobs?

  1. #1

    Where's the entry level jobs?

    Hello all,

    I am graduating this fall with a Masters Degree in Transportation Planning. I look for jobs all the time on Planetizen and the APA website. Neither seem to show many entry level jobs these days - they all require 3-5 years of experience. I realize that I should not waste my time sending out resumes to public agencies that are not hiring. So then how do I break into the profession with my new degree? I have had three internships which make up less than a years worth of experience.

  2. #2
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    133
    From what I understand, posting job listings on the APA website is kind of expensive.

    Most state chapter sites have job listings for that state or region. I think a lot of communities post on the chapter site before posting on the APA site, except for high-level positions.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally posted by anf View post
    From what I understand, posting job listings on the APA website is kind of expensive.

    Most state chapter sites have job listings for that state or region. I think a lot of communities post on the chapter site before posting on the APA site, except for high-level positions.
    Hey anf,

    thanks for that tip. I went to my state's apa website and I found a lot more jobs than were on the national site. Awsome!

  4. #4
    Cyburbian jsk1983's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,423
    My school emails us all the availiable job openings in the area (and a few outside the area). Thats probably not much help though unless your interested in openings in the Chicago area.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    17,974
    Quote Originally posted by aspiringplanner View post
    Hey anf,

    thanks for that tip. I went to my state's apa website and I found a lot more jobs than were on the national site. Awsome!
    Don't overlook the eight California Sections websites. They each list job opportunities.

    http://www.planning.org/Chapters/links.html
    Annoyingly insensitive

  6. #6
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    2,904
    State Chapter websites, if you're asking where to look. If the question is where, geographically, the answer is: TEXAS!

  7. #7

    Registered
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Front Range, CO
    Posts
    294
    There are also job-compilation websites out there. I use two for my area - for instance Monster is a compiler but I don't care for it.

    Do your homework. The job market isn't going to get any better any time soon and you will have to look and be prepared when you are out there.

    And I agree with TO's implicit point that you'll likely have to leave the crowding and pollution of CA and move where there's easier jobs to do until you have some experience. And TX will get you some experience right quick.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally posted by Dan Staley View post
    There are also job-compilation websites out there. I use two for my area - for instance Monster is a compiler but I don't care for it.

    Do your homework. The job market isn't going to get any better any time soon and you will have to look and be prepared when you are out there.

    And I agree with TO's implicit point that you'll likely have to leave the crowding and pollution of CA and move where there's easier jobs to do until you have some experience. And TX will get you some experience right quick.
    Yeah I was thinking about moving out of CA for several reasons including the ones you mentioned. Maybe to Oregon or Washington. Not Texas though. There are a treasure trove of jobs on those State Chapter websites - thanks.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Entry level jobs? Where to look?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 11 Sep 2012, 10:15 PM
  2. Entry level planning related jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Jun 2012, 3:42 PM
  3. Entry level jobs in to planning?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Sep 2005, 1:47 PM
  4. Entry-Level Jobs in Michagan
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Aug 2005, 11:03 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Feb 2005, 12:57 AM